Player Watch #36 Welcome to Richmond - Will Martyn

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds grounded

little campaigner wants to break into the 1s and wants a flag already . ive heard enough

d91.gif

Seems a bit vanilla

Never understood why people think Vanilla is bad? It’s a great flavour.

And when you mix it with Oreos or chocolate topping etc... it’s amazing. Much like Lambert and Graham mixed with Jack and Dusty.

If Martyn spends the next 12 years being the vanilla to Stack/RCD/Bolton’s oreo/chocolate we should be stoked.

So is Trent Cotchin … im calling it early Will Martyn future captain. :laughing:

Vanilla is never something I’ve associated with Cotch. The guy takes speccies over Marc Murphy all the time, kicks goals lying on the ground against the swans, 360 spin left foot dagger goals in finals and destroys Mummy, Shiel and Stanley.

Never understood why people think Vanilla is bad? It’s a great flavour.

And when you mix it with Oreos or chocolate topping etc... it’s amazing. Much like Lambert and Graham mixed with Jack and Dusty.

If Martyn spends the next 12 years being the vanilla to Stack/RCD/Bolton’s oreo/chocolate we should be stoked.

Vanilla is never something I’ve associated with Cotch. The guy takes speccies over Marc Murphy all the time, kicks goals lying on the ground against the swans, 360 spin left foot dagger goals in finals and destroys Mummy, Shiel and Stanley.
I just don’t think Graham, Ross and Martyn will ever fit into the same team. That’s a very Norf Melbourne type midfield set up.

I just don’t think Graham, Ross and Martyn will ever fit into the same team. That’s a very Norf Melbourne type midfield set up.
I assume you mean because of pace? Jack Ross is a sub 3sec 20m. He is super quick.

Graham is an endurance beast and will be Lambert mkII. He already provides a lot to the team.

Martyn who knows, has a long way to go.

But you’re also ignoring Stack and Bolton who both played in the square this year and can provide pace and tricks. RCDs VFL granny was pretty special too and could be a real bulldozer in the midfield, plus Dow this year looks incredibly agile around the stoppages.

We have plenty of guys around to compliment each other moving forward, this isn’t a Norf midfield of the same three blokes.

I assume you mean because of pace? Jack Ross is a sub 3sec 20m. He is super quick.

Graham is an endurance beast and will be Lambert mkII. He already provides a lot to the team.

But you’re also ignoring Stack and Bolton who both played in the square this year and can provide pace and tricks. RCDs VFL granny was pretty special too and could be a real bulldozer in the midfield, plus Dow this year looks incredibly agile around the stoppages.

We have plenty of guys around to compliment each other moving forward, this isn’t a Norf midfield of the same three blokes.
An ideal midfield has a variety of player types. I think Ross, Graham and Martyn are all too similar. Reminds me of B. Crouch/M. Crouch/Sloane or Cunnington/Ziebell/Anderson. It’s very workman like and one dimensional. None of them really have a point of difference in there. This criticism doesn’t apply to guys like RCD, Dow, Stack, Bolton, etc. because they have tricks and versatility. Obviously you need some grunt to balance and compliment your athletic flairy types, but carrying all three might be a bit much.

An ideal midfield has a variety of player types. I think Ross, Graham and Martyn are all too similar. Reminds me of B. Crouch/M. Crouch/Sloane or Cunnington/Ziebell/Anderson. It’s very workman like and one dimensional. None of them really have a point of difference in there. This criticism doesn’t apply to guys like RCD, Dow, Stack, Bolton, etc. because they have tricks and versatility. Obviously you need some grunt to balance and compliment your athletic flairy types, but carrying all three might be a bit much.

I understand your point, but midfields these days are a hell of a lot greater than Simply three midfielders deep. You say that this doesn’t apply to others (RCD, Dow etc.) but it certainly does. No reason that those three can’t compliment the current and next wave of midfielders the club have. What if it’s Stack that has the ‘point of difference’? Or Stack. Or Dow. I also think your undervaluing Ross who in his 9 games showed a Selwood like hardness which is undoubtedly a point of difference. An Jack Graham, no point of difference? He’s the best pressure midfielder in the AFL. How is that not a point of difference?

If you don’t think Ross has any tricks or PODs as a mid you need to rewatch some of his games prior to his injury. The kid is an exceptional clearance player and had so much time and composure in traffic. Not just saying as a first year player either. Also a great kick, with plenty of penetration.

Definitely not ‘one dimensional and workman like’.

If Ross builds on this earlier form he could be anything.

Pretty harsh on Graham too tbf, for different reasons.

Who’s knows with Martyn, will wait until he’s been with us more than a week or two to decide where he lands.

The Ross/Selwood comparison is pretty sharp I reckon. I don't know if anyone ever put together a Ross highlight clip but pre-injury the guy was unbelievably composed with the footy and made all the right decisions as well as showing a rare cleanliness at ground level. You build a midfield around a Ross type.
Graham is more your Cotchin type down the track. Clean and strong over the ball and a savage tackler.
Martyn who knows? Is definitely what you'd call vanilla based on his clips but you need a few blokes in the midfield mix who consistently do the basics right. Standard setters.
Your Bolton types stand taller and perform better with these dependable types around them.

Cotchin 2.0. Stone cold. Future premiership captain. Norm Smith. AA. Brownlow medallist. Gary Ayres medallist.

Just hope he can improve on those accolades in his second year.
You got stone cold, right, there! Bit of a steely edge in the kid under that cool manner!
Got just a little testy too in replying about what it was like to play against men!

The Ross/Selwood comparison is pretty sharp I reckon. I don't know if anyone ever put together a Ross highlight clip but pre-injury the guy was unbelievably composed with the footy and made all the right decisions as well as showing a rare cleanliness at ground level. You build a midfield around a Ross type.
Graham is more your Cotchin type down the track. Clean and strong over the ball and a savage tackler.
Martyn who knows? Is definitely what you'd call vanilla based on his clips but you need a few blokes in the midfield mix who consistently do the basics right. Standard setters.
Your Bolton types stand taller and perform better with these dependable types around them.
Agree with the Ross part, but Graham like Cotchin... Brownlow medalist, AA, Players best, Dual Premiership Capt.

Graham might struggle to get a regular gig, not because he is not a good player, but is he better than our full midfield already, then add the young guns like Ross, Stack, Pickett and maybe RCD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

haha...minute detail but....

complement is more apt.

compliment implies they're there all day going...oi larve you moite...nah oi larve you bettah...nahhh...you da beeest moite..

To me, Martyn seems almost like the opposite to Cumberland. Not a whole lot of pace or flashiness to his game but you see him among every contest and does the simple things well. Doesn't try to bite too much off with his disposal but plays his role within the team.
Martyn's a decent size for a midfielder and has been one of the more consistent players for the Allies in the couple of U18 Champs replays I have watched. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a game or two for the senior side in 2020.

Agree with the Ross part, but Graham like Cotchin... Brownlow medalist, AA, Players best, Dual Premiership Capt.

Graham might struggle to get a regular gig, not because he is not a good player, but is he better than our full midfield already, then add the young guns like Ross, Stack, Pickett and maybe RCD.
I reckon Graham will evolve to play a Cotchin-esque game, not necessarily achieve the same heights. Hard-nut, lowish possession count midfielder but impacts when the team needs a lift, a leader. He very well could be pushed out if we can add a player with the same defensive tenacity who has more offensive weapons. Personally I'm not a fan of players who have one club in their bag. Never liked taggers either.

lol, Stack is to good for the midfield

Graham does the stuff that often goes unnoticed. Tackles, pressure. And he is starting to rack up the possessions, and goals. Do you remember when Graham was dropped. Our midfield was a shadow of itself. Because he adds so much in that pressure stakes. I don't see him as a Cotch. I see him as a Jack Graham. He's on track to be the best pressure player in the AFL,AND to be a good B+ grade mid for possessions. That is absolute A grade in my book. There are plenty of mids that get possessions, but add mothing else. Graham is worth his spot purely on the non-possession stuff. Guy is a genuine elite player, for his type.

Nailed it. Ross and Graham mean that we will at least match the opposition for pressure inside. And they both are good getters and users (Graham on his end of 2019 form).

We are building a midfield of large, strong hard as mids. In 3 years we could have the most monster midfield in the AFL. This, to me, is the next evolution of the Richmond side. We've been the running repeat sprint kings of the AFL for the last few years. But we've been beaten inside. Going by our drafting I would guess that the coaching group has pulled apart how we get beaten and are building a team to stop that happening.

Graham does the stuff that often goes unnoticed. Tackles, pressure. And he is starting to rack up the possessions, and goals. Do you remember when Graham was dropped. Our midfield was a shadow of itself. Because he adds so much in that pressure stakes. I don't see him as a Cotch. I see him as a Jack Graham. He's on track to be the best pressure player in the AFL,AND to be a good B+ grade mid for possessions. That is absolute A grade in my book. There are plenty of mids that get possessions, but add mothing else. Graham is worth his spot purely on the non-possession stuff. Guy is a genuine elite player, for his type.
Martin, Cotchin, Prestia and Edwards are our gun centre square mids. It seems Pickett will also be in there as he looks more at home there than any other position. I think Ross will quickly add to that mix and is our best centre mid prospect since Cotchin. Lambert runs through there, as will Bolton occasionally this season, a few others as well. So you will need to play multiple positions unless you are one of the big 4 or 5.

As much as I appreciate the importance of the pressure and gut running Graham gives, I don't think it more important than the class of the players above. I also think Collier Dawkins will be a big factor sooner than later, and he hits as hard as anyone. Turner also looks like a good mid clearance player and will be pushing for games. It won't be easy getting a gig in our full side this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back