Player Watch #36 Welcome to Richmond - Will Martyn

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I am genuinely surprised how far away Martyn looked last night. He was not anywhere near the standard, which is okay because he's young and developing but how bad are RCD and Naish going if they thought this guy was ready to debut before them getting picked?
Im not going to judge the kid on that game

Honestly i think the pressure and intensity of the game last night was just as high as any of the finals we played last year and port have a very big strong midfield. Kid was playing his 1st real game in 18 months

He will learn from that and will be much better next time

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Im not going to judge the kid on that game

Honestly i think the pressure and intensity of the game last night was just as high as any of the finals we played last year and port have a very big strong midfield. Kid was playing his 1st real game in 18 months

He will learn from that and will be much better next time
No one's writing off his career, but we judge a debut game based on the debut performance, he doesn't have to star but he was a liability. One of the poorer first games from our players I can remember.

I'm not trying to crucify him or write him off, he will learn now what's required, I blame the match committee more than anything. Kid was thrown into an incredibly tough situation.

What I am concerned about though was that he was considered a better option than RCD for example. That's a damning thing and I have no idea why he's so far away still in his 3rd year.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
No one's writing off his career, but we judge a debut game based on the debut performance, he doesn't have to star but he was a liability. One of the poorer first games from our players I can remember.

I'm not trying to crucify him or write him off, he will learn now what's required, I blame the match committee more than anything. Kid was thrown into an incredibly tough situation.

What I am concerned about though was that he was considered a better option than RCD for example. That's a damning thing and I have no idea why he's so far away still in his 3rd year.
That’s all got nothing to do with Martyn and everything to do with RCD limited output at vfl relative to Martyn and Ross

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Harder than ever to play your first game, speed of the game is off the charts, if our seasoned players are going to mess up some times what are you going to expect from a first gamer?

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Thought Mansell was passable in his overall game. Can see good signs in him moving forward. Martyn on the other hand that was very underwhelming.

I guess they will give RCD, Naish, Ralphsmith a game sooner rather than later.

I thought he was awful. We shuffled him to the easiest matchups but his ball use was poor. Forced our better ball users to play tighter.

Martyn was ineffective inside and we tried to hide him at HFF but pretty much played a rotation short as he rode the bench most of the game. When he did get involved on wing he was a momentum killer.

Our bottom two players the last three weeks have killed us. So thanks mr Stack and Mr Coleman-Jones, we could of really done with both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought he was awful. We shuffled him to the easiest matchups but his ball use was poor. Forced our better ball users to play tighter.

Martyn was ineffective inside and we tried to hide him at HFF but pretty much played a rotation short as he rode the bench most of the game. When he did get involved on wing he was a momentum killer.

Our bottom two players the last three weeks have killed us. So thanks mr Stack and Mr Coleman-Jones, we could of really done with both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Make a good point about those two , at least CCJ has been playing vfl and I really expect to be an inclusion v saints . More I think of it Stacky could still play a role as our small forward stocks are dwindling with no one at this stage firming a spot . Here’s hoping he can come to hand reasonably well and be a genuine chance in a months tme

Will starting to display some real consistent form since the VFL returned from lockdown.

Had 31 disposals 13 tackles and 7 clearances against Collingwood
27 disposals 7 tackles and 3 clearances against the Bullants
21 disposals 6 tackles and 4 clearances against Sandringham
25 disposals 2 tackles and 7 clearances against Williamstown

Could just be that clearance winning possession accumulating midfielder that we need to find their way into the AFL rotation moving forward. Has a nice size about him at 186cm 82kg. Granted his debut wasn't too flash, but I reckon with a solid end to the season and a big preseason he could be a very welcome addition to the midfield heading into 2022.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
This kid was much better today than on debut earlier in the year. He works very hard defensively, and in time I'm sure he'll get better at finding the ball.

He's Graham-like with his defensive work rate, as demonstrated by the 30 pressure acts he racked up today and the distance covered at speed.

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
This kid was much better today than on debut earlier in the year. He works very hard defensively, and in time I'm sure he'll get better at finding the ball.

He's Graham-like with his defensive work rate, as demonstrated by the 30 pressure acts he racked up today and the distance covered at speed.
I’m yet to be convinced as I think he lacks leg speed from what I can see. But wouldn’t write him off just yet

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

Liked what I saw , handled the ball nice and clean and used it well, between Martyn rcd and Dow I reckon we re going ok , add some early picks to this lot , we re on the way

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
Liked what I saw , handled the ball nice and clean and used it well, between Martyn rcd and Dow I reckon we re going ok , add some early picks to this lot , we re on the way
Don’t disagree but young Dow needs to get rid of the stopping and propping when he gets the footy. Needs to go straight away at times but doesn’t. Will learn from more experience I hope

Growapair

Club Legend
May 2, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
It's probably just the #36, the haircut, the running style and the way he's built, but he kinda reminded me of young Dusty out there today. Obviously he lacks the football ability of Dusty at that age but couldn't help but notice the similarities physically.
I thought you had said you had given up smoking crack bro

69vintage

Premiership Player
Jan 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Don’t disagree but young Dow needs to get rid of the stopping and propping when he gets the footy. Needs to go straight away at times but doesn’t. Will learn from more experience I hope
Kids in his draft year have had a terrible 2 years on a development front .
Hopefully next year they can get continuity with their football.
Could be some huge improvement from players from that draft year .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back