Analysis 37.17.239

Remove this Banner Ad

Was just thinking the same thing: with about 20 minutes less playing time we came within one goal of breaking the record. If both scores were averaged out to account for the difference in time, the 186 game is actually a better achievement than the 239 game
Not really, if anything quarters were slightly shorter in 1992 than today. Changes in the rules in what constitutes time-on have changed

I was there for that it was like an old fashion country game,we were chatting with Billy over the fence in the goal square at times,John Hutton (who you say) kicked 8 goals straight for the Bears out of their 11 it was my boys introduction to the Cats and AFL footy,one special evening watching Ablett streaming forward off the wing.
I was also there for my one and only trip to Carrara. Country game sums it up. Not many people around the ground even seemed aware the record was broken

Records were made to be broken etc.

But this one isn't likely to be broken anytime soon. The comp seems too even to approach this level of murder.

Back in the 25 minute quarter days the clock didn't stop when the ball went out of bounds or the umpire called a ball up. The only time the clock stopped was when there was a score or when the umpire signaled time-on.

Yep, I don't think there's really much time difference in the quarters between then and now, they stop the clock more often nowadays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back