Past Ben Silvagni

rog1995

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Got the call from my carlton person today - i am Ben’s silver sponsor.

It made me think of my grandfather (my nonno) & my grandmother (nonna). He sailed - yes sailed from Italy to Sth America for work then got wind of a railway being built here. He worked on the central train line, saved his money & bought a sugar cane farm in proserpine with his mate “Jack Kilo”. Then he saile back to Italy & his home town to find a wife. My Nonna was Margarita Ferronato - her surname translate to “born of Iron”. He brought her back to heat & floods, racism & prejudice. Heavily pregnant she had to travel around farms & not thru them cos she was a “dago”. heavily pregnant during flood season my nonna heard a small engine putting up the the proserpine river to her aid - Mary Tobin came to her aid. My aunty Mary was named in her honor. The Tobin family has always dealt with our families funerals ever since. She was shown as a new born around the hospital in astonishment cos she was “white”. The locals thought of the Italian migrants as “Kanaka’s” - the local indigenous workers. 4 daughters were born & a farming life was not for them. They moved to Melbourne to try find nonna’s Brother who was an opera singer & had shacked up with an older Australian woman. Oh the shame. My mother remembers dancing on the train station at spencer street as a young girl on arrival.. 4 young daughters who worked in a family shop selling Italian styled groceries. In the early 50’s my Nonna made a trip home to Italy to see her family. She spied espresso coffee & brought one home for the family shop in 1954. In 1954 my Nonna had one of the first commercial espresso machines in operation in Australia, just as the migrant influx began. My mum Natelina (Lina) & her 3 sisters, Mary, Elsie & Bette became the consulate, translators, helpers & providers of Italian life for these migrants. The shop boomed. The family shop was across the road from Dan O’connell Hotel, Canning St. Carlton. Mums family lived in Canning St as well, her neighbor’s family were “Silvagni”. Not the Sergio variety but a relation. Mum knew of Sergio but, in her words, they (the 4 sisters) weren’t interested in the Australian born Italians... mums hair was set for her wedding by Rita Silvagni. One of her bridesmaids was her Silvagni neighbor.

Mum turned 86 a few days ago.

Few can say their mother, aunties & grand parents were part of the cultural change of an entire country, but i can proudly say that my family was a part of changing Australia for the better.

I shed a tear this afternoon thinking of the sacrifice my grandparents & my migrant dad made - giving up everything & everyone they knew & loved so I could live a priveledged life.

Zulian family foto’s. All are mum, wedding foto is her & Silvagni cousin is on her left & her sister (deceased) Bette the youngest is to her right. Mum seated in foto in proserpine - only foto of her prior to losing most of her hand in a farm machinery accident (but that’s another story..)

If you notice the frame in the corner of the wedding foto - i shall post that next.
View attachment 590668 View attachment 590669 View attachment 590670 View attachment 590671 View attachment 590672 View attachment 590673 View attachment 590674 View attachment 590676 View attachment 590677
What a fantastic story. My parents migrated from Italy too and what wonderful memories. You should feel very proud. Thanks for sharing.

Wily trout

All Australian
Apr 19, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
With the Silvagni history hanging over SOS' boys, what would be considered a successful career for Ben and Jack for that matter, in the supporter's eyes?
For example 150 games each, featuring in the top 10 of the B and F a couple of times each, 2/3 premierships??
We all know the legend status of SOS and Serg, so what would be considered a successful career for the two Silvagni boys and what would be considered ho hum?

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings

It made me think of my grandfather (my nonno) & my grandmother (nonna). He sailed - yes sailed from Italy to Sth America for work then got wind of a railway being built here. He worked on the central train line, saved his money & bought a sugar cane farm in proserpine with his mate “Jack Kilo”. Then he saile back to Italy & his home town to find a wife. My Nonna was Margarita Ferronato - her surname translate to “born of Iron”. He brought her back to heat & floods, racism & prejudice. Heavily pregnant she had to travel around farms & not thru them cos she was a “dago”. heavily pregnant during flood season my nonna heard a small engine putting up the the proserpine river to her aid - Mary Tobin came to her aid. My aunty Mary was named in her honor. The Tobin family has always dealt with our families funerals ever since. She was shown as a new born around the hospital in astonishment cos she was “white”. The locals thought of the Italian migrants as “Kanaka’s” - the local indigenous workers. 4 daughters were born & a farming life was not for them. They moved to Melbourne to try find nonna’s Brother who was an opera singer & had shacked up with an older Australian woman. Oh the shame. My mother remembers dancing on the train station at spencer street as a young girl on arrival.. 4 young daughters who worked in a family shop selling Italian styled groceries. In the early 50’s my Nonna made a trip home to Italy to see her family. She spied espresso coffee & brought one home for the family shop in 1954. In 1954 my Nonna had one of the first commercial espresso machines in operation in Australia, just as the migrant influx began. My mum Natelina (Lina) & her 3 sisters, Mary, Elsie & Bette became the consulate, translators, helpers & providers of Italian life for these migrants. The shop boomed. The family shop was across the road from Dan O’connell Hotel, Canning St. Carlton. Mums family lived in Canning St as well, her neighbor’s family were “Silvagni”. Not the Sergio variety but a relation. Mum knew of Sergio but, in her words, they (the 4 sisters) weren’t interested in the Australian born Italians... mums hair was set for her wedding by Rita Silvagni. One of her bridesmaids was her Silvagni neighbor.

Few can say their mother, aunties & grand parents were part of the cultural change of an entire country, but i can proudly say that my family was a part of changing Australia for the better.

I shed a tear this afternoon thinking of the sacrifice my grandparents & my migrant dad made - giving up everything & everyone they knew & loved so I could live a priveledged life.

Zulian family foto’s. All are mum, wedding foto is her & Silvagni cousin is on her left & her sister (deceased) Bette the youngest is to her right. Mum seated in foto in proserpine - only foto of her prior to losing most of her hand in a farm machinery accident (but that’s another story..)

If you notice the frame in the corner of the wedding foto - i shall post that next.
View attachment 590668 View attachment 590669 View attachment 590670 View attachment 590671 View attachment 590672 View attachment 590673 View attachment 590674 View attachment 590676 View attachment 590677
Thanks for sharing a very personal history of your family. Each migrant story is both unique and common. Unique in the sense that it’s the history of your family in Australia but common in the sense that so many migrant families had the same experiences as they forged a life in Australia. My grandfather came to Australia from Italy in 1925 chasing the dream of a better life. What happens from then on is unique to my family however reading your account has made me realise that we have a lot in common. Maybe one day we can catch up and compare notes. Ciao.

Sheephead

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2009
In a good paddock
AFL Club
Carlton

Candidate for POTY. Che grande. That’s awesome for you extinct ones.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

Great story and photos ctacp

My parents lived in Brunswick/Fitzroy North, until finally settling in Northcote.

Have similar photos from 50's & 60's

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Not sure Shane Whitnall ever played seniors.
Kernahan last brothers I remember playing a bit together before Curnow's. David was pretty decent full back before SOS developed into a key defender.
We had two Leneghan brothers when I first followed. One went to Geelong with Rod Wadell and Greg Williams, that other played a few games for us but probably less than 50. Earl Spalding's brother, Scott played one or two games in early 1990's.
Aisake O'hailpin never played with Setanta in seniors. David Glascott had a brother, maybe Shane that was on Bears list? When I first followed there was a Peter Fitzpatrick on list, not sure if brother to Mike?

Certainly lots of scope for Curnow's and Silvagni's to become the best siblings to play together if they have a long time playing together here. Hosking's twins in womens team will have their own aims too.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Yeah most of those are 50’s. Something about old foto’s, especially when you find out stuff about them, are great.
Great memories, i was brought up a few doors down from Serge and Rita and been to that shop 100's of times. Carlton was a great place to live, every corner had a shop with a pub being on the opposite corner.

587398_2cc268d95a8c281dcfbf52449b360d69.jpg

Ben must be visiting Serge's house... He's wearing away shorts.

Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton

Such an authentic and illuminating migrant story. Thank you for sharing ctacp. The narrative resonates with a few of us.

Jan 20, 2008
Bullengarook
AFL Club
Carlton
Great memories, i was brought up a few doors down from Serge and Rita and been to that shop 100's of times. Carlton was a great place to live, every corner had a shop with a pub being on the opposite corner.
What’s your age ? Been to that shop ? ! Really ?!! In what years did you know of the shop? Wow...

Nonna’s cottage is currently being renovated (gutted) several doors down from her shop. My cousin, son of my aunty in that wedding foto was out front of nonna’s one day just talking to another cousin & she came out of the cottage next door, took a look at him & said “you must be Bette’s son”. She invited them both in & had a good chat.

So many stories, some lost now sadly.

Jan 20, 2008
Bullengarook
AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks for sharing a very personal history of your family. Each migrant story is both unique and common. Unique in the sense that it’s the history of your family in Australia but common in the sense that so many migrant families had the same experiences as they forged a life in Australia. My grandfather came to Australia from Italy in 1925 chasing the dream of a better life. What happens from then on is unique to my family however reading your account has made me realise that we have a lot in common. Maybe one day we can catch up and compare notes. Ciao.
Well if you come to “Rics Convenience Store - Riddells Creek” i can justify the many thousands of dollars spent to the tax man as “advertising” !

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Aisake O'hailpin never played with Setanta in seniors. David Glascott had a brother, maybe Shane that was on Bears list? When I first followed there was a Peter Fitzpatrick on list, not sure if brother to Mike?

Certainly lots of scope for Curnow's and Silvagni's to become the best siblings to play together if they have a long time playing together here. Hosking's twins in womens team will have their own aims too.
Stuart Glascott, who was younger & skinnier than David (you wouldn't think this was possible).

Peter Fitzpatrick was no relation to Mike. If I remember rightly Peter came down from Bendigo to play with us.

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Thank you ctacp for sharing.

Australia and Melbourne in particular has such a rich history with the contribution that migrants made and continue to make. (I was lucky enough to spend a semester doing ‘Migration and Australian Society’ when I was at Uni ...)

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Thank you ctacp for sharing.

Australia and Melbourne in particular has such a rich history with the contribution that migrants made and continue to make. (I was lucky enough to spend a semester doing ‘Migration and Australian Society’ when I was at Uni ...)
Don’t forget the cane cutters and farmers in North Queensland.

Jan 20, 2008
Bullengarook
AFL Club
Carlton
My grandfather started in Ingham. He thought about all the food the cane cutters needed. He opened up a butcher’s shop in a town called Edmonton which was near Cairns.
View attachment 591572
I’m really enjoying the history & memories being shared of our beloved “Carlton”. The football team & suburb have provided many of us with such wonderful memories. Its truly great & humbling to be a part of this “tribe”.

Well if you come to “Rics Convenience Store - Riddells Creek” i can justify the many thousands of dollars spent to the tax man as “advertising” !
bit inconvenient for me.........

Back