Player Watch #37: Connor Menadue

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Takes a bit of time to feel comfortable in the team, and a bit of confidence to attack the ball, especially when you've always been a receiver type (I mean that as a player who gets the ball given to them and goes, not in a pejorative way). Thought he fumbled but did some nice things as well. Should get another game considering only Prestia is ready to come back. (Think they'll give Houli another week).
Sure but we aren't talking about a first year player tho.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Yes I get that, but has had games in the VFL where he has played as a mid and done well, but he is still pretty light. Needs another pre season, but he is improving, albeit slowly.
Yeah has shown some good signs...just need to perservere with him...another year for him to build up physically...

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes I get that, but has had games in the VFL where he has played as a mid and done well, but he is still pretty light. Needs another pre season, but he is improving, albeit slowly.
Imo its about intent, and I just don't think even with a bigger body he will suddenly be a attack dog at the ball. Sorry I just don't see it.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Imo its about intent, and I just don't think even with a bigger body he will suddenly be a attack dog at the ball. Sorry I just don't see it.
It's taken Brandon Ellis many years of senior football to get to the required level, which I think he plays at now. Not an attack dog either, but neither was the Doggies Bob Murphy. Some players take longer, but his upside is higher than most due to his pace and a fair bit of class. You might be right, but another year won't hurt, he's not your classic list clogger.

May 7, 2009
melbourne, australia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Shrewsbury FC
It's taken Brandon Ellis many years of senior football to get to the required level, which I think he plays at now. Not an attack dog either, but neither was the Doggies Bob Murphy. Some players take longer, but his upside is higher than most due to his pace and a fair bit of class. You might be right, but another year won't hurt, he's not your classic list clogger.

What a stupid comparison.
Ellis has played at least 20 games every season he has played. He won a rising star nomination. He made an under 22 all australian 3 years in a row. He was in the 40 man squad named for all australian in his 3rd season of footy..
B Ellis Many years to get to the required level? Wtf are you on about?

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Ellis has played at least 20 games every season he has played. He won a rising star nomination. He made an under 22 all australian 3 years in a row. He was in the 40 man squad named for all australian in his 3rd season of footy..
He's at the same stage as the other Ellis

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Can’t see Connors game stacking up in finals football this year, can’t win enough of the pill or apply the pressure our other smalls and mediums are renowned for.
Graham, Butler, Concs and Houli to come in (hopefully) no way he keeps his spot to be honest I was surprised he came straight back in after injury last week.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I have never thought up until Ellis came back from being dropped, that he was a player that always put his nose over the ball at all times. While an elite runner and accumulator, he was pretty outside. A gut running receive and run again type. Certainly not an 'attack dog's as The Flea suggested. Not a slight on Ellis at all, just as I don't think Menadue is half as timid as some on this board say, (thought he showed good signs last game).
Ellis has toughened up considerably this season (the required level in that respect) and now he plays quite a hard game of footy, like the rest of our back line.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
I have never thought up until Ellis came back from being dropped, that he was a player that always put his nose over the ball at all times. While an elite runner and accumulator, he was pretty outside. A gut running receive and run again type. Certainly not an 'attack dog's as The Flea suggested. Not a slight on Ellis at all, just as I don't think Menadue is half as timid as some on this board say, (thought he showed good signs last game).
Ellis has toughened up considerably this season (the required level in that respect) and now he plays quite a hard game of footy, like the rest of our back line.

He has improved and I watch him closely. But twice last week it was his time to go and he didnt. At one extreme you've got Cotch driving and willing himself into contests. And at the other you've got Ellis. Chalk and cheese. It's OK to be outside, we need a release player. But sometimes you are it. One on one where his hanging back will be obvious to all, he goes. Around conjestion, 'not my job'. He turns into your classic seagull.

But on Menadue, I'd be happy to keep him another year for depth with also upside a possible outcome. Wing is a difficult possie to play. Needs to watch Issac Smith. He struggled many games a few years ago. Very consistant.

Or Gaff.... oh wait... maybe not.

Last edited:

Come on. Brandon has his faults but he was best 22 in his first year. You are trying to re-write history.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Come on. Brandon has his faults but he was best 22 in his first year. You are trying to re-write history.
Who said he wasn't a good player. Pretty much best 22 except for 2016 and a bit early this year. Since dropped he has played great. The required level was in reference to his attack on the footy only, which hasn't always been his strong suit. Re read the context, The Flea's comment about Menadue's attack on the ball, hence I brought Ellis in as a similar type. Also mentioned Bob Murphy, reckon he was 'required level'.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
He has improved and I watch him closely. But twice last week it was his time to go and he didnt. At one extreme you've got Cotch driving and willing himself into contests. And at the other you've got Ellis. Chalk and cheese. It's OK to be outside, we need a release player. But sometimes you are it. One on one where his hanging back will be obvious to all, he goes. Around conjestion, 'not my job'. He turns into your classic seagull.

But on Menadue, I'd be happy to keep him another year for depth with also upside a possible outcome. Wing is a difficult possie to play. Needs to watch Issac Smith. He struggled many games a few years ago. Very consistant.

Or Gaff.... oh wait... maybe not.
Don't think he is your classic seagull now, yes you prefaced it by saying he has improved. You can't really compare to Cotchin, he is a one off. Maybe he occasionally seagulls, but he certainly puts his body on the line in the main these days.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I am in no way saying he should go, just has to get better. I would still argue that Ellis has shown if a free ball is on the ground he would still go for and not hover, where as i havent seen that from Connor.

Who said he wasn't a good player. Pretty much best 22 except for 2016 and a bit early this year. Since dropped he has played great. The required level was in reference to his attack on the footy only, which hasn't always been his strong suit. Re read the context, The Flea's comment about Menadue's attack on the ball, hence I brought Ellis in as a similar type. Also mentioned Bob Murphy, reckon he was 'required level'.

You said it took BEllis many years to get to the required level. Your words. He was at the required level Year 1.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I have never said 'attack dog' not sure where you got that from.

I’m startin to think trying depth players is more about getting enough proof that they dont fit or can’t make it.
Looked like he was given a bit more license to be offensive.
Did a couple of good things, made a couple of mistakes but I thought it was better than the saints game and considering it was probably the tightest contest this year dont think he’s shown he can’t make it.
He’s not as good by foot as Bob Murphy.

Back