Player Watch #37: Connor Menadue

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Menadue will become another Mark Ricciuto any time soon, Craig Bradley is probably more realistic for him. Let's watch him in the contest though, I noticed previously he was getting nilled in contests too often and offering no physical presence, but his few games this year I thought I may have detected some improvement in this area.
I dunno comparing Menadue to Craig Bradley is realistic

He is okay with the ball in hand and doesn't panic as much as others but these things stop him from making it -

1) Soft
2) Doesn't work hard enough. Career high 23 touches and never averaged more than 14 touches as an outside player
3) No contested ability whatsoever
4) Atrocious decision maker
5) Poor foot skills
6) Loses his opponent too easily.

He is okay with the ball in hand and doesn't panic as much as others but these things stop him from making it -

1) Soft
2) Doesn't work hard enough. Career high 23 touches and never averaged more than 14 touches as an outside player
3) No contested ability whatsoever

He's not happy with it that's for sure

With the exact opposite being true of Menadue. I want to see him hit a congested area tonight hard, make a crunching tackle and get the pill into our possession.

Yes Stack will do it.

But of course, Menadue will be waiting somewhere on the periphery hoping it gets out to him.

Hope he proves me wrong. A cold wet Thu night in Adelaide is not the conditions I have much hope with though.

Menadue did nice things last night :thumbsu:. And some not so awesome stuff :huh:. When he uses his speed and attacks the game he is very good. Got excited a couple of times when he took his man on and simply ran past him. Just get him to genuinely believe in his tools and he will be a very good AFL player. But if he keeps being half in on himself then he's not got a lot more time in the AFL. Here's hoping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should have paid the entrance fee into the ground bc he’s a spectator.Then we Needed security guards to evict him from the joint with Ellis and Butler for spectator abuse.
Yeah, lucky we had jack graham and jack Higgins to shut the crouch brothers out of the game aye 🤣🤪😀🤣

Menadue did nice things last night :thumbsu:. And some not so awesome stuff :huh:. When he uses his speed and attacks the game he is very good. Got excited a couple of times when he took his man on and simply ran past him. Just get him to genuinely believe in his tools and he will be a very good AFL player. But if he keeps being half in on himself then he's not got a lot more time in the AFL. Here's hoping.

If he doesent believe in himself now as a footballer then unfortunately he is in trouble , he seriously should go see a good sports psych. It’s the same as why a lot of players don’t make it this level no belief .
Just have a look at Sydney Stack first year player and oozes self belief and confidence.

If he doesent believe in himself now as a footballer then unfortunately he is in trouble , he seriously should go see a good sports psych. It’s the same as why a lot of players don’t make it this level no belief .
Just have a look at Sydney Stack first year player and oozes self belief and confidence.

Agree. Every Club has a couple of psychologists now, one I think even funded by the AFL. If Mena's or any other footballer can't walk out on the ground with great anticipation each week about the next game being their best game I'd be really disappointed. The players are give great tools now to deal with expectation and criticism in house.

Agree. But in the game he actually did take them on a few times. He can burn pretty much anyone off. He is relatively comfortable in tight too. So to me it's just taking that he can do it a few times and adding to that. Knowing deep inside himself that if he really lets rip he can tear the game apart - with his pace and kicking. Previously I've seen him as timid to use his abilities. Last night he used them a bit. So good signs hopefully. He certainly did OK - patches of good amongst some just OK.

Agree. But in the game he actually did take them on a few times. He can burn pretty much anyone off. He is relatively comfortable in tight too. So to me it's just taking that he can do it a few times and adding to that. Knowing deep inside himself that if he really lets rip he can tear the game apart - with his pace and kicking. Previously I've seen him as timid to use his abilities. Last night he used them a bit. So good signs hopefully. He certainly did OK - patches of good amongst some just OK.

He is best 22 in a bottom 4 side. We were there not so long ago with more than half the team of Menadues. Were others worse than him last night? Yes! My point stands though. Happy for him to get a string of games for the next few games though to prove otherwise. ATM I have him cut at years end though. Please tell me he is not contracted!!

He is best 22 in a bottom 4 side. We were there not so long ago with more than half the team of Menadues. Were others worse than him last night? Yes! My point stands though. Happy for him to get a string of games for the next few games though to prove otherwise. ATM I have him cut at years end though. Please tell me he is not contracted!!

No idea about contracts. He's one of those guys that clubs often keep. Potential to be a genuine good quality AFL player. But just not there. He's another I could see Melbourne going for. Run and carry, which they don't have much of. Other teams might want him.

But we might want to keep him as well. What I saw yesterday included some very good bits of AFL play. Just not enough to be a regular in a good team. It'll be interesting to see how he goes. It wouldn't be a surprise if Lambert takes his spot and he;s VFL bound for the rest of the year. If Marlion steps up then is there a future for him?

Running out of chances and is one of those types who doesn't make any real glaring errors when picked but you just know that when the better players return to the side he'll be one who gets tapped on the shoulder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back