Player Watch #37: Connor Menadue

Remove this Banner Ad

Good teams move on. They don't hold on

I like the saying but there should be at least 4 rookie spots up for grabs and a player like Mendue on rookie money might be fine. The Hawks certainly carried guys on their list throughout their successful period who were not best 22 and had been on the list for 5 years or more, Whitecross is one who springs to mind. So it doesn’t necessarily preclude success. It is just whether the club thinks this is worthwhile, and whether Menadue gets picked up by another club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised they dumped menadue but kept Markov.

Markov has a few more strings to his bow now given he can play forward and on the wing. Has the same speed and endurance attributes too.

I knew this year would be tough to find players to move on. Speaks volumes of the depth of the list that we have to let quality players go sadly

39 games in five years is ample time to cement a spot.
Time waits for nobody when you have won two flags in three years.
Normally i would agree specially for a midfielder and have no issue with menadue being cut but he was always going to be a 5 year project coming into the club 187cm 62 kgs when drafted and doesnt have the body that looks to be able to put on muscle easily (bit like grimes)

But still think another year as a rookie wouldnt be such a bad thing and would give us some depth

Played some really good VFL footy but couldn’t find that space and time to utilise his speed at AFL level.

Yep although i honestly felt his game against Port wouldve been the turning point for his career. Came up with some big and ballsy plays that came off, unfortunately he just didnt seem to have the inner belief and self confidence that he truly belonged at AFL level. Shame bc he looks to have the tools.

Having said that hes had ample opportunities and time - time to move on and give someone else a go

Yep although i honestly felt his game against Port wouldve been the turning point for his career. Came up with some big and ballsy plays that came off, unfortunately he just didnt seem to have the inner belief and self confidence that he truly belonged at AFL level. Shame bc he looks to have the tools.

Having said that hes had ample opportunities and time - time to move on and give someone else a go
Agreed seemed to lack belief at AFL level
There were games (AFL) where you were screaming out take it on and use your pace but he seemed scared of messing up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back