Player Watch #37: Connor Menadue

Players worse than Menadue last night: Ellis, Castagna, Short, Rioli, Townsend, Caddy, Baker.

He had the most intercept possessions on the ground, got more of the ball than all but 4 teammates, and more contested possessions than all but 5.

Shocking turn over that lead to the goal - unfortunately that’s what’s memorable about his game

_jrtp09_

All Australian
May 14, 2014
Doing the laundry
AFL Club
Richmond
Thats it in a nutshell...one trick pony...not sure if he has other skills to offer...think the MC are looking for more...
Too easily physically pushed off balance by the oppo with minimum force...
Really struggles to get into the flow of the/any game when he comes on..no intial instinctive 'go for it'..plays from his head first...
Reckon he plays his matches from his head...according to coaches instructions...just seems so unsure...stops/starts/stutters
Reckon he still has more upside than CEllis...would keep him on for one more year cos his speed is such a big weapon!

Can he afford to bulk up? Yes he’ll lose speed but a larger frame might give him confidence. He looks like he could use some.

Players worse than Menadue last night: Ellis, Castagna, Short, Rioli, Townsend, Caddy, Baker.

He had the most intercept possessions on the ground, got more of the ball than all but 4 teammates, and more contested possessions than all but 5.
Both of us must have been watching different games last night. Wasn't a star by any means, but did what was required more often than not. Yeah he cost us a goal with that smothered kick, but that's more unfortunate than Rioli picking out Duncan in the second quarter which got the Cats going again with an easy goal resulting. His 11 intercept possessions show he got himself in the right positions to impact the game. Could he had played better no doubt, but there were signs and at this stage you want to see signs. He was a long term project who has added a few more strings to his bow this year in the VFL and starting to make the transition into becoming an AFL calibre footballer.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
He did. Love ya flea but dunno what you were watching.
There was a play where the ball was free between 2 players and he just hovered near the play and imo he should have beelined the ball and go for it and he would have won the ball. I didn't like and think this will hold him back from being a good player. So I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one. Love you too by the way;).

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
There was a play where the ball was free between 2 players and he just hovered near the play and imo he should have beelined the ball and go for it and he would have won the ball. I didn't like and think this will hold him back from being a good player. So I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one. Love you too by the way;).

I’m with you. He’s too hesitant and unless he sorts it out he’ll never make it. Hopefully he does better against GCS as I think he’ll lose his spot the week after when we get a few back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Not sure if menadue can be utilized as a role player...like others can be...
If using him as a role player hampers his speed skill i would rather use his speed as a weapon...
Get the ball and run menadue and let the the team/oppo adjust to you...rather than the other way around...

Agree with that remember early on in his games he would grab the ball and run and carry seems to have disappeared or has different instructions.

Bobsleder

Team Captain
Nov 1, 2008
far away
AFL Club
Richmond
Definitely hesitated a few times when he needed to go. Lost a few one on ones. Then he had a few good moments on the HB . I hope he gets another week to settle.
Him and Ellis are putting too much pressure on themselves, as they looked more comfortable as 18/19 years playing their first 5 games than what they do now.

I know it's a low base but I thought it was his best game for the club and it's no suprise it happened playing the same role he plays at VFL level.

Needs a few games playing off half back and told to run and gun every time he gets it

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Incidentally I think he did ok last night, but he needs to use his weapons ie speed better and he needs to develop a harder edge and attack the footy better.
Takes a bit of time to feel comfortable in the team, and a bit of confidence to attack the ball, especially when you've always been a receiver type (I mean that as a player who gets the ball given to them and goes, not in a pejorative way). Thought he fumbled but did some nice things as well. Should get another game considering only Prestia is ready to come back. (Think they'll give Houli another week).

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Menadue needs too excellerate harder when he gets the ball its the main thing that holds him back
Yeah it's like he get's the ball then slows thinking about what to do with the ball...'now what were those coaches instructions again'...bam! caught with the ball!
When he ought to get the ball...accelerate...and think about what to do when in motion...

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree with that remember early on in his games he would grab the ball and run and carry seems to have disappeared or has different instructions.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen him just grab the ball and run. It’s always been his biggest knock is that he never really uses his one elite trait.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
I can’t say I’ve ever seen him just grab the ball and run. It’s always been his biggest knock is that he never really uses his one elite trait.

Remember last year when he struck that good form then got dropped he would do that.

Looked good in the role. Definitely has a role to play if houli or short dont get up. Has a future.
I agree.
I think he has a massive future. Let's just hope it's with us us. I thought he had a good game last night. Not great but he should keep his spot.
I look at him in the same sort of light as an Isaac Smith type. Was always going to take time and Richmond knew that when they drafted him. Smith was 21 when the Hawks drafted him. Menadue is 21 now. Look at it that way and he's right on track for a successful career.
Some of the comments on the game day/autopsy thread about him are downright embarrassing.

Back