Player Watch #37: Connor Menadue

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
You said it took BEllis many years to get to the required level. Your words. He was at the required level Year 1.
You said it took BEllis many years to get to the required level. Your words. He was at the required level Year 1.
Okay, my comment may have been a bit cryptic. I only mentioned Ellis because I used him as an example of a player who hadn't always been considered a player who attacked the ball at all times, a bit like the commentary on Menadue. Hence the require level comment. It was not mean to be used as a critique of his general play, but reading back I can see how it could have read that way.

Okay, my comment may have been a bit cryptic. I only mentioned Ellis because I used him as an example of a player who hadn't always been considered a player who attacked the ball at all times, a bit like the commentary on Menadue. Hence the require level comment. It was not mean to be used as a critique of his general play, but reading back I can see how it could have read that way.

Ok fair enough.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Aaron Fiora MKII atm and if he gets to 120games then he’s come from a long way back to earn a career.
Can’t see him getting a game based on the email the club sent earlier in the week stating a possibility of all of those premiership players coming back.
He should start training for the GF sprint as his leg speed appears to have dropped.

Last edited:

PGTiger

Rookie
Mar 5, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought we had a player with Connor but this year he has slipped back IMO and this might be part of him maturing and taking on greater mass albeit he is still slight. Happy to hold on to him. Better player than CEllis.

Bobby Sands

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Menadue is the least of our problems and was genuinely GOOD last start.

This is what its like to be a Richmond fan, and a championship team (weird), we start bemoaning that our 25th man isn't showing the Brownlow promise we hoped of him.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Aaron Fiora MKII atm and if he gets to 120games then he’s come from a long way back to earn a career.
Can’t see him getting a game based on the email the club sent earlier in the week stating a possibility of all of those premiership players coming back.
He should start training for the GF sprint as his leg speed appears to have dropped.
Nailed it.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Five changes and Young :eek: Connor has been overlooked before Lloyd Baker and Conca:think:. Surely after that invisible job he did on Jack Stevens a few weeks back he could have picked up a Saad or Merrett or even Peptide? IMO He could be on the trade table at seasons end with the Silky Butterfly. I’m not sure what they’re worth is , but it would be sparse.

Last edited:

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm still stubbornly hanging onto hope that Menadue comes good.
Was tracking well a few years ago but has stalled. I think it's all confidence related but don't know how that can be fixed.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I am not a huge fan of Menadue at AFL level, probably no fault of his but he just gets pushed off the ball too easily, and is easy to tackle. However, a couple of his kicks the other night were brilliantly thought out and executed and they created goals. In a tight match that was quite telling, so he deserves fair credit. Although he had no tackles, he is credited with 7 contested possessions which I found interesting, versus Stack with zero contested possessions, and Bolton 9! These stats never paint the full picture and i guess when Bolton and Menadue are starting side by side with their opponent and use their pace to burn them off and get to the ball first that must be credited as a contested possession.

It is interesting if you look at Supercoach scores for the game Port have beaten us hands down. This to me shows that the actions that win games of footy have not been properly isolated and valued statistically as yet. I presume Menadue would receive the same points for hitting obtuse targets while running at high speed as someone would get for chipping the ball sideways to a stationary target in d50. Whatever is the case, he did some really nice things Menadue.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I’d like to see Menadue really take on the opposition- use his pace and break the lines.

He plays that way in the 2s. Perhaps that’s an indication of the gap between AFL and VFL that he hasn’t been able to play that way in the 1s.

I didn’t think he was too bad on the weekend set up a goal with a beautiful kick into the middle of the ground. And a bit unlucky with a couple of frees against him

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
I’d like to see Menadue really take on the opposition- use his pace and break the lines.

He plays that way in the 2s. Perhaps that’s an indication of the gulf between AFL and VFL that he hasn’t been able to play that way in the 1s.

I didn’t think he was too bad on the weekend set up a goal with a beautiful kick into the middle of the ground. And a bit unlucky with a couple of frees against him
Agreed, gets another crack in my books. He looked a lot more comfortable than he has previously. Has the tools to be an elite wingman.

Back