Player Watch #37 Corey Warner - young Blood Brother

Pick 40
Height: 182cm Weight: 74kg
D.O.B: 07-10-2003
Position: Midfielder
Team: East Fremantle
POSITION: Balanced Midfielder
SNAPSHOT: "Warner is a hard running midfielder who can play both inside and out, breaking forward with purpose and a penetrating left-foot kick."
There is another 'C. Warner' running around in Western Australia, this time of the Corey variety after elder brother Chad was drafted to Sydney in 2019. The hard running midfielder skippered Aquinas College in the PSA football competition this year, while also cracking WAFL League level for four-consecutive games with East Fremantle. He then returned to the Sharks' Colts side and was a key figure in their run to the preliminary final, providing plenty of run and willing his side forward in big moments. Able to play on either side of midfield, Warner is most often utilised on the wing and featured there for Western Australia's Under 19s, capping off a strong season where he showed great potential across all competitions. He was also a standout draft combine performer, notching state-high scores in the 2km time trial (6:20), standing vertical jump (76cm), and running vertical jump (100cm).
https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/corey-warner/
https://thewest.com.au/sport/east-f...t-brothers-could-be-best-of-the-lot-c-4615765
https://www.afl.com.au/news/687265/could-another-warner-end-up-on-sydney-s-list

Chad and Corey with younger brothers 14-year-old Ashton and 11-year-old Troy

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
POSITION: Balanced Midfielder

SNAPSHOT: "Warner is a hard running midfielder who can play both inside and out, breaking forward with purpose and a penetrating left-foot kick."

There is another 'C. Warner' running around in Western Australia, this time of the Corey variety after elder brother Chad was drafted to Sydney in 2019. The hard running midfielder skippered Aquinas College in the PSA football competition this year, while also cracking WAFL League level for four-consecutive games with East Fremantle. He then returned to the Sharks' Colts side and was a key figure in their run to the preliminary final, providing plenty of run and willing his side forward in big moments. Able to play on either side of midfield, Warner is most often utilised on the wing and featured there for Western Australia's Under 19s, capping off a strong season where he showed great potential across all competitions. He was also a standout draft combine performer, notching state-high scores in the 2km time trial (6:20), standing vertical jump (76cm), and running vertical jump (100cm).

STRENGTHS:

+ Endurance
+ Run and carry
+ Kick penetration
+ Inside-outside balance
+ Burst

IMPROVEMENTS:

- Kicking consistency
- Composure

A productive forward runner, Warner leans on his balanced running capacity to get things going on the attack. He compliments a purposeful first five steps with the work rate to run all day, covering plenty of ground at a high intensity. This allows him to play either side of midfield, generating run and carry on the outer, but also having the toughness and burst to break away from congestion when stationed at stoppages.

His blend of traits makes him a ball winner who can find possession in a variety of ways, not limited in how he impacts. While able to hold his own as part of the centre bounce mix, perhaps the best indicator of where Warner will play is how he was utilised at higher levels. He was stationed out on the wing during his League and Under 19 representative stints, which is likely where AFL clubs will see his running capacity best utilised. Warner is tough like his brother Chad, but not quite the same hard nut on the inside.

It is all well and good carrying the ball forward, but the best outside players cap off their work with damaging execution by foot. Warner penetrates the attacking 50 with his long kicking and can be sharp in doing so, but is often found out when disposing at full tilt. Given much of his work is done on the break, Warner can sometimes float or grub his kicks and most often looks for his left side, which invites pressure. He has quite an even handball-to-kick ratio and is slick by hand, but can certainly be more damaging if he gets his kicking right.

Another couple of things of note for Warner are his athletic feats and leadership credentials. He is already lauded for his running but proved he is also a powerful leaper with state-high jumping results at the recent West Australian combine, to go with his leading 2km time trial result. Warner also captained his school side this season and was one who looked to lift East Fremantle in the big moments late in the season, averaging 26.3 disposals in his final month of Colts footy - including three finals.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 30-50

SUMMARY:

Boasting a familiar name, Warner is arguably a little further advanced than his Sydney-based brother but offers a different style of play. His work ethic and ability to produce positive forward drive make him an asset from either side of midfield, but most likely on the outer. With a bit of polish to add to his end product, Warner has clear improvements to make but has a set of skills which will likely tempt clubs around the late-second to third round of this year's intake.

warner-bros.jpg

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Article just up from The West Australian;

“I was told this morning I would go in the low 30s and definitely wouldn’t go past Adelaide’s pick (36), then they picked someone else so I was getting a little bit nervous,” Corey said.
“It’s definitely a massive relief now it’s all over.”

The 18-year-old is confident he could complement Chad in the Swans’ midfield, with the pair chalk and cheese on the field with younger brother a classy outside type and older a tough nut inside player.
“It’s so good, it’s just surreal to be there with him,” Corey said.
“It’s a dream to play with him so I’d be very keen for that ... I think we could work pretty well together.”
“I’m really excited to learn off Ollie Florent, just with his outside run,” Corey said.

Two Warners could become four down the track with Corey warning 14-year-old Ashton and 11-year-old Troy, could become the best of the lot.

Playing at Adelaide or with his brother at the Swans? :think:

:thumbsu:

(I assume it was his manager who told him about Adelaide's interest, so once again, even with a brother of, it seems Sydney keeping their cards close to their chest).

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Hoped he would get here.
Not so much because of the Chad (who we all love) but because he's the kind of tearaway we can hone into something special. He wants it and he'll work hard for it. Leadership in there too. Might have noticed we picked three team captains.
I did notice actually. We don't just pick footballers, we pick leaders.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I know nothing about Corey is this another Brandon Jack or is he a chance to make it on our list :)

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I know nothing about Corey is this another Brandon Jack or is he a chance to make it on our list :)
Draft projection was between 30-50. Kicking Consistency and composure are the things he needs to work on.

If it gives you any comfort picked to go in exactly the same range as Chad...and that didn't turn out too bad.

Back