Player Watch #37 Corey Warner - young Blood Brother

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a quick shout out to Corey whose development in the 2s continues. He was one of our best in the Ressies win over Norf on Sunday. He won plenty of his own ball and used it well.

Obviously not this year but a solid pre-season will have him well placed for a debut on a wing early next year.

Needs a big preseason to bulk up - looks like a toppy from the old Canberra league days out there.

I've also noticed he's struggled to run out games sometimes, picking up 10-12 touches in the first half and ending up with 15 or so. Hopefully just a fitness issue, another thing a good preseason could address.

He does have a good sense for breaking lines and attacking. He's not the most accurate kick, but he can run fast and he kicks long, flat, and to dangerous spots. Kicks don't have to be centimetre perfect if you're catching the defenders on the hop, so I think that will be his strength. Just needs to get it more, and stay in the game longer.

Needs a big preseason to bulk up - looks like a toppy from the old Canberra league days out there.

I've also noticed he's struggled to run out games sometimes, picking up 10-12 touches in the first half and ending up with 15 or so. Hopefully just a fitness issue, another thing a good preseason could address.

He does have a good sense for breaking lines and attacking. He's not the most accurate kick, but he can run fast and he kicks long, flat, and to dangerous spots. Kicks don't have to be centimetre perfect if you're catching the defenders on the hop, so I think that will be his strength. Just needs to get it more, and stay in the game longer.
His athletic attributes were his strengths when drafted.. that includes his speed and endurance.
Sound familiar? Dylan Stephens was the same. Took Dyl a couple of pre-seasons to get his endurance up to a level where its big asset at AFL level (also his weight/strength)
Like the look of Corey, reckon just a bit of patience is needed.

His athletic attributes were his strengths when drafted.. that includes his speed and endurance.
Sound familiar? Dylan Stephens was the same. Took Dyl a couple of pre-seasons to get his endurance up to a level where its big asset at AFL level (also his weight/strength)
Like the look of Corey, reckon just a bit of patience is needed.

Yeah not arguing, I was hoping we'd draft him and I'm glad we did. Just note that he's got a way to go yet, which is to be expected of a skinny, mid-range draft pick. I'm hoping he can develop where he needs to, and he's got a bloody good example set by his brother to model off (even if they play different positions).

Just a quick shout out to Corey whose development in the 2s continues. He was one of our best in the Ressies win over Norf on Sunday. He won plenty of his own ball and used it well.

Obviously not this year but a solid pre-season will have him well placed for a debut on a wing early next year.
He got the genes.

He got the genes.
Not sure any significant number of games next year is on the cards. Needs a good preseason and further game sense development. With JMac, Dyl, Ollie and Errol in the team he is going to need to smash down the door. He will need to be ready. That said, Horse is good at giving them a taste like Gus and Roberts have had (but Will hasn't). HHK looks a handy competitor too!
Gotta love depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club is pretty smart even if Corey doesn't work out we will keep him on the list just to keep his brother.

Similar to how Brisbane kept Clayne Beams on their list for so long and he was bang average
How about we just respect the player and believe that the club has signed him the merits of his ability, and not insult the kid.

Warner plays on the wing. 20-25 disposals is a good result.

He's still very small and needs another season to bulk up but is a good decision maker and uses the ball well. He's building well and deserving of his extension on his own merit
I like how his season has built in the VFL as he has got used to the level. Definitely needs plenty of bulking up (maybe even 2 pre-seasons), but there is plenty to work with.

If he wasn't Chad's brother, I doubt he would of got a contract extension at this point - take away that context of who his brother is, and he probably hasn't quite done enough in my opinion to be given an extension quite yet - but I have no qualms with him being given one either.

Looking forward to seeing how he goes in Finals over at least the next couple of weeks too.

If he wasn't Chad's brother, I doubt he would of got a contract extension at this point - take away that context of who his brother is, and he probably hasn't quite done enough in my opinion to be given an extension quite yet - but I have no qualms with him being given one either.
maybe, but I look at players like Sheather who have been given contract extensions despite limited VFL form. To me it highlights they see a lot of potential in him but he's a project player. Contract is assurance to keep toiling away.

We reward attitude over ability, he likely has the right attitude which we don't see

maybe, but I look at players like Sheather who have been given contract extensions despite limited VFL form. To me it highlights they see a lot of potential in him but he's a project player. Contract is assurance to keep toiling away.

We reward attitude over ability, he likely has the right attitude which we don't see

We also reward players who we believe have potential or certain athletic traits.

Look at Stephens and our patience with him for example.

Corey has these traits in abundance.

Don't disagree - but I think Sheather had shown a reasonable amount when he did get his contract extension as well, arguably more to that point than Corey in the same period.

But you are right around attitude too - definitely a trait the club values highly.

I like them both. Sheather has excellent skills and a strong body, and speed (sub 3.00 secs for the 20m), to go with it.

Corey is 1cm taller than Chad and finished in the top 10 nationally in 4 of the draft combine tests. Will fill out nicely and is probably shaping as a winger. Has adjusted to the VFL and is now picking up good possession numbers. His kicking is alright.

I'm not sure that's true. Looking at our recent history of signing national draftees, Corey's first extension isn't that out of the ordinary in terms of when it's happened. And sure, he hasn't played a game yet, but we clearly rate him or we wouldn't have taken him in the draft.

And even the guys who had signed earlier than him hadn't played much footy at the time of their first extensions - Blakey zero games, McInerney & Roberts one game, and Rowbottom three games.)

Nick Blakey - January of his 1st year (2 years)
James Rowbottom - June of his 1st year (3 years)
Justin McInerney - June of his 1st year (2 years)
Ollie Florent - June of his 1st year (2 years)
Matty Roberts - July of his 1st year (2 years)
Corey Warner - August of his 1st year (3 years)
Braeden Campbell - September of his 1st year (4 years)
Tom McCartin - September of his 1st year (2 years)
Errol Gulden - February of his 2nd year (2 years)
Callum Mills - March of his 2nd year (5 years)
Logan McDonald - March of his 2nd year (2 years)
Chad Warner - April of his 2nd year (2 years)
Dylan Stephens - September of his 2nd year (2 years)
Will Gould - September of his 2nd year (1 year)
Isaac Heeney - December of his 2nd year (5 years)

It's possible that the length of extension probably has something to do with his brother though - he's one of only two non-academy players there to have committed for three years, rather than the standard two years, and it's coincided with his brother's extension for the same amount of time. Don't think that's a coincidence.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that's true. Looking at our recent history of signing national draftees, Corey's first extension isn't that out of the ordinary in terms of when it's happened. And sure, he hasn't played a game yet, but we clearly rate him or we wouldn't have taken him in the draft.

And even the guys who had signed earlier than him hadn't played much footy at the time of their first extensions - Blakey zero games, McInerney & Roberts one game, and Rowbottom three games.)

It's possible that the length of extension probably has something to do with his brother though - he's the only non-academy player there to have committed for three years, rather than the standard two years, and it's coincided with his brother's extension for the same amount of time. Don't think that's a coincidence.
Maybe it's the time difference to WA?

It's possible that the length of extension probably has something to do with his brother though - he's one of only two non-academy players there to have committed for three years, rather than the standard two years, and it's coincided with his brother's extension for the same amount of time. Don't think that's a coincidence.
I wasn't referring to how many senior games anyone had played - more the quality of the ressies football seen to that point.

Never said it was out of the ordinary, just that I wasn't convinced if he wasn't Chad's brother that he would necessarily have got an extension at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back