Player Watch #37: Dylan Clarke - Gradual progress on the ankle injury, not increasing loads yet - 12/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
37 - [PLAYERCARD]Dylan Clarke[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2021 (Category A Rookie)
Last Game Played: Round 18, 2020 (injured)
Injury Status: Gradual progress on the ankle injury, not increasing loads yet - 12/5
Ankle surgery, will miss the start of the season - 20/1

Last edited:

Run and carry

All Australian
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Its hazy but I remember last year he did a number on an injured Cripps and then tagged another couple of stars out of the game in consecutive weeks.

Even the media put his name in lights. I felt that we'd found a natural tagger, if that's still a thing.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m hoping no one else takes him before we re-rookie, personal favourite of mine. Just love the way he goes about it.

I'm not good with the technical detail of such things but I do not believe anyone will touch Clarke or Gleeson in the rookie draft in these circumstances.

The convention is that the clubs do not take each other's re-rookie nominations, it's never happened, unless a club drafted the player in the main draft for a primary list spot (in which case each would go with our blessing).

RedmanWasHere

Rarely in kitchens at parties.
Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Richmond AFLW
I'm not good with the technical detail of such things but I do not believe anyone will touch Clarke or Gleeson in the rookie draft in these circumstances.

The convention is that the clubs do not take each other's re-rookie nominations, it's never happened, unless a club drafted the player in the main draft for a primary list spot (in which case each would go with our blessing).
Geelong were about to demote Ryan Abbott before St Kilda grabbed him as a DFA.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Geelong were about to demote Ryan Abbott before St Kilda grabbed him as a DFA.

For a primary list spot?

If so, I've incorrectly narrowed the issue to the main draft. It is really the offer of a main list spot that will trump the promise to re-rookie.

Last edited:

srobbo

Hall of Famer
Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Not enough strings to his bow for mine. Even as a tagger he offers nothing offensively. Slow by foot & mind & cant kick, I’m not overly bothered if we don’t re rookie.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Not enough strings to his bow for mine. Even as a tagger he offers nothing offensively. Slow by foot & mind & cant kick, I’m not overly bothered if we don’t re rookie.

I'd say he has all the strings.

The problem is the bow doesn't work. It's a crooked tree branch instead of a refined and shaped bit of wood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Donakebab

Premium Platinum
May 18, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
He smashed cripps(injured) while actually having decent stats himself

he stopped omeara

he kinda quelled the next in line but also did nothing else

then zilch
Cripps didn't injure his foot until a few weeks later. The week after Clarke towelled him up Cripps had 38 touches and kicked 4 goals against Brisbane.

Not making any justification for him being a gun, he's depth at best and likely won't see 2022, but credit where its due that effort was immense and he did quell a few opponents following it.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I think he has a role to play in our forward line as a Mitch Wallis type.
Will still get some rotations on ball but I could see him kicking a goal a game up forward and being a physical presence up forward.
If Rutten is more open to tagging, we may see him used as a tagger now and again as well.

Bjchan13

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Agree with this. The role he played had us winning games. I don't get what the problem was. It got Freo to a prelim.
His kicking in general play is the only thing i think. Goalkicking was excellent. Not sure why taggers aren't in fashion anymore. Ling on Swan in 2011 was a crucial matchup. Graham shutting Sloane out of the 2nd half in 2017. Bet Geelong wish they had prime Ling for Dusty this year.

Remove this Banner Ad