Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

You don’t think him signing for a local cricket team is a big indication he’s gone?
Maybe he wants to play some cricket. Maybe he is gone. Does not change the fact that the club has said no decision made yet .

Im aware of that. It doesn’t mean that Clarke has likely been given an indication from the club

The indication would be we have not decided until after trade period. We may still have a rookie spot for you.

Thanks Dylan but good decision. His kicking for goal and marking were ok but he wasn't anywhere near quick enough to be a forward plus his kicks into forward 50 were a guaranteed turnover. Yes he was an ok inside mid but it's not like he was Jobe Mk II. There are many better on the inside who are also faster and better by foot.

Shame he was definitely borderline AFL level. Had some good and memorable games. Probably a victim of our midfield being the deepest its been in many years. We currently have players that are either very good performers or players we see as the future (Cox, Perkins, Caldwell, Durham etc). Either way they take up spots on the ground and it pushes someone like Clarke out of the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t like this at all... very handy tagging midfielder ... and a very good role player ... every team needs a player like Dylan ... if Kevin Walsh / David flood got games for Essendon so should clarko

I don’t like it. He got games because he is a necessity in our team. Honestly believe omitting him from the doggies game was a mistake. Runs all day, tough as nails, can’t kick but can extract and play a role and kicking is a strength of our smaller mids. shattered for him.
What difference as a forward would he have made?

I must have posted this a few times now, that I really want to see Dyl make it but there is virtually nothing to suggest he can make the very necessary change to his game that is required.

In that context I don't really understand why Clarke may re-join the list. As much faith as I have in the rest of his game, it is not like the odds of finding a player of an equivalent quality, and who can kick at AFL standard, are particularly small.

It makes me wonder how hard AFL cubs really look at 'the competition' as a whole. I get in lots of arguments with posters here over this issue. It seems to me that, in reality there are probably a handful of players in a likely available range, outside the first round, that clubs look at in a draft year and that this judgment is not revisited.

On one view I can understand some of it, I love my electronic music and it got to a point that the market became so saturated that I stopped trying to keep up because it became too hard to follow anything closely. But, on the other view, we're not talking about anything near that scale.

So we need midfielders, not just Perkins growing into the role and not just pick 11 or even the additional high pick we are chasing. We also need a half back/running/small defender and there is a very good chance that the best available defender with pick 11 is a better prospect than the best available midfielder.

So you then look at the pool of de-listed mids who you can sign for nothing. I look at a guy like Rantall. At best he was our 3rd option with the pick we used on Bryan (because Bryan was taken after we bid on Coleman). In reality, we probably never considered him because he is not a Dodoro style of player. So let's assume that puts him outside the recruiters Overton Window. What we do know is that Collingwood, a side that had churned out quality midfielders recruited him at a time that they didn't really need the cover.

So if you're a smart operator you are self aware enough to know that a team which is much better at a certain facet of this game than you are saw something in a kid you can now take for free. You know he has enormous running power and that his games translated relatively seamlessly to VFL level. You also know, at least you should, that Rantall was competing with a glut of top 25 picks and possibly a generation leading father-son all taken in the last 2 years which, together, with 2 massively interrupted years for young depth and list reductions provide a number of plausible reasons a player has been delisted which have nothing to do with his ability to play.

Last edited:
I must have posted this a few times now, that I really want to see Dyl make it but there is virtually nothing to suggest he can make the very necessary change to his game that is required.

In that context I don't really understand why Clarke may re-join the list. As much faith as I have in the rest of his game, it is not like the odds of finding a player of an equivalent quality, and who can kick at AFL standard, are particularly small.

It makes me wonder how hard AFL cubs really look at 'the competition' as a whole. I get in lots of arguments with posters here over this issue. It seems to me that, in reality there are probably a handful of players in a likely available range, outside the first round, that clubs look in a draft years and that this judgment is not revisited.

On one view I can understand some of it, I love my electronic music and it got to a point that the market became so saturated that I stopped trying to keep up because it became too hard to follow anything closely. But, on the other view, we're not talking about anything near that scale.

So we need midfielders, not just Perkins growing into the role and not just pick 11 or even the additional high pick we are chasing. We also need a half back/running/small defender and there is a very good chance that the best available defender with pick 11 is a better prospect than the best available midfielder.

So you then look at the pool of de-listed mids who you can sign for nothing. I look at a guy like Rantall. At best he was our 3rd option with the pick we used on Bryan (because Bryan was taken after we bid on Coleman). In reality, we probably never considered him because he is not a Dodoro style of player. So let's assume that puts him outside the recruiters Overton Window. What we do know is that Collingwood, a side that had churned out quality midfielders recruited him at a time that they didn't really need the cover.

So if you're a smart operator you are self aware enough to know that a team which is much better at a certain facet of this game than you are saw something in a kid you can now take for free. You know he has enormous running power and that his games translated relatively seamlessly to VFL level. You also know, at least you should, that Rantall was competing with a glut of top 25 picks and possibly a generation leading father-son all taken in the last 2 years which, together, with 2 massively interrupted years for young depth and list reductions provide a number of plausible reasons a player has been delisted which have nothing to do with his ability to play.

Clarke is a known-known, I guess.

yes #39
Makes sense to leave it alone

Would be pretty disheartening to him if it wasn't and he'd probably start seeing as pushing hard PS as a waste of time

Plus he'd still be a good chance to get onto the list. His work rate and fitness compared to Tex and Fejo I'd assume is like comparing a banana to an apple. When coaches see that sometimes it's hard to overlook as we always like rewarding effort and dedication

Remove this Banner Ad

Back