Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

37 - [PLAYERCARD]Dylan Clarke[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Not offered a contract for 2021
Last Game Played: Round 23, 2021 (omitted)
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited:
Quotes regarding Clarke from the coach in today's media conference;
- Clarke is more than just a tagger
- He may play in a different position if we don't need a tagger
- Young players playing "really well" is not enough on it's own. Must out-perform experienced/senior players or make way

“(Whether or not he plays is) really specifically around match ups and roles that we want in the team,” Worsfold said on Tuesday.

“There’s no guarantee that we’ll use a tagger this week, but that doesn’t mean that Dylan doesn’t play regardless.

“He has played as a run-with player in the VFL but he has also played as a ball-winner, so we’ll be weighing up the best team to take on the Hawks.

“Of course, there are potentially roles for anyone on (Hawk Jaeger) O’Meara, so that’s what we’ll be discussing.”

“I’m pretty sure we’ll squeeze them (Shiel, Stringer, Fantasia) in, so players have to make room for them and that is a challenge.

“Some of the younger players are performing really well. But ultimately, if they aren’t performing at a level that will hold those more experienced or senior players out then they do make way until their performance says that they’re in front of those guys.”
https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-06-11/clarke-no-onetrick-pony

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I would be sending him straight to O'Meara.

When he is struggling the Hawkes midfield looks far less potent. It is a no brainer for mine. Omeara has a better ability to spread than cripps but on a smaller/thinner ground at Marvel i dont think that will be too much of a worry.

- Young players playing "really well" is not enough on it's own. Must out-perform experienced/senior players or make way

With that in mind....
Laverde/Begley/Francis to make way for Stringer and maybe Brown too.
Baguley should be replaced by Fantasia.
Shiel is straight in... probably McNiece.

With that in mind....
Laverde/Begley/Francis to make way for Stringer and maybe Brown too.
Baguley should be replaced by Fantasia.
Shiel is straight in... probably McNiece.
I think Fantasia will get another week to recover from the sound of the injury report, unless they're playing funny buggers with it. If that is the case Baguley out for Stringer, Laverde/Fridge/Franga retain their spots. One of Fridge or Laverde probably come out for Fantasia next week, assuming no further injuries.

Agree Shiel probably comes in for McNiece, and McGrath/Guelfi/Zach/Zaka play more in defence.

I think Fantasia will get another week to recover from the sound of the injury report, unless they're playing funny buggers with it. If that is the case Baguley out for Stringer, Laverde/Fridge/Franga retain their spots. One of Fridge or Laverde probably come out for Fantasia next week, assuming no further injuries.

Agree Shiel probably comes in for McNiece, and McGrath/Guelfi/Zach/Zaka play more in defence.
Do you think Brown comes in? He was really good pre-injury but seems a bit forgotten.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

He was probably close to BOG for impact alone.

He has done more in one game than Zaharakis has all season. Clarke has to be in before someone like Zaharakis. Otherwise, our priorities need to be questioned.

Do you think Brown comes in? He was really good pre-injury but seems a bit forgotten.
Brown had a sore wrist and missed in R10 because of it, unless we're desperate for a tall or drop Francis I don't think so.

We're already pretty tall up forward. Or more accurately, very 'middling' height. Ideally we probably want two proper KPFs (with Daniher and McKernan/Brown 195+) and Fantasia and Walla both small, fast and creative, under 180cm. Instead we have Francis, Stringer, Laverde and Begley are all between 188cm and 193cm. Stringer and Francis play tall anyway so that helps, but I guess we essentially have an undersized three talls set-up, with oversized smalls? Begley is the shortest of them and still 17cm taller than Walla. None of them are quite as fast or as agile as you might like for a small forward, though Laverde used to be more creative and a better mark before his injuries. We really miss Fantasia.

He has done more in one game than Zaharakis has all season. Clarke has to be in before someone like Zaharakis. Otherwise, our priorities need to be questioned.
Depends, if I'm selecting for a back flank I wouldn't choose Clarke, pretty sure the KPI for flankers is kicking efficiency. If I want to put someone at the coalface to nullify Cripps again, I choose Clarke. But if it's Clarke or Shiel for that job then I choose Shiel.

Horses for courses. Apples and oranges. Etc.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Depends, if I'm selecting for a back flank I wouldn't choose Clarke, pretty sure the KPI for flankers is kicking efficiency. If I want to put someone at the coalface to nullify Cripps again, I choose Clarke. But if it's Clarke or Shiel for that job then I choose Shiel.

I'd send him straight to O'Meara. He's more than a tagger.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
afl . com intimating Clarke could get squeezed out for the star ins'

Woosh said it was a 'good question' when asked if Clarke would play, failing to guarantee his selection.

Question would be, does it send a mixed message if you get dropped after doing the job you were asked?

It would be further evidence that "playing a role" really means nothing, it's simply a deflection.

Brown had a sore wrist and missed in R10 because of it, unless we're desperate for a tall or drop Francis I don't think so.

We're already pretty tall up forward. Or more accurately, very 'middling' height. Ideally we probably want two proper KPFs (with Daniher and McKernan/Brown 195+) and Fantasia and Walla both small, fast and creative, under 180cm. Instead we have Francis, Stringer, Laverde and Begley are all between 188cm and 193cm. Stringer and Francis play tall anyway so that helps, but I guess we essentially have an undersized three talls set-up, with oversized smalls? Begley is the shortest of them and still 17cm taller than Walla. None of them are quite as fast or as agile as you might like for a small forward, though Laverde used to be more creative and a better mark before his injuries. We really miss Fantasia.
2 KPFs with Stringer has been our preferred structure, I'll go with your reasoning and say that Francis is the one to make way for Brown. This also fits in with what Woosha was saying.

Oct 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics

Agree 100%

If I'm selecting a back flank, I'm wondering why someone would put Zaharakis there in the first place to be perfectly honest with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree 100%

If I'm selecting a back flank, I'm wondering why someone would put Zaharakis there in the first place to be perfectly honest with you.
I dunno either but I'm pretty sure he played there the other week. Guessing it's a rotations thing.

Fridge16

All Australian
Sep 12, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
He will stay in.

Thought his game was great but the real test will be doing it when the opposition player knows it is coming and the team can plan. Carlton and Cripps had no idea Clarke would tag and therefore had no plan.

I am not trying to take anything away from his awesome game, I just hope he can do that consistently as that will improve us hugely going forward.

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
If he gets dropped, Woosh needs to walk away right then. At the risk of stirring the nest, you would say Clarke has done more in one game than Langford all season. And Langford has been decent his last few outings, not poor at all. But I'd keep Dylan in over Kyle if it comes down to it.
P. S. I've not always been a big fan of Dylan, but he seems to of worked hard and deserves more than a game especially if you are one of the best I'm your last match.

Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Southampton
He kept arguably the best midfielder in the league to 11 touches and 2 clearances, Clarke's not getting dropped.

What do you guys expect Woosha to come out and say? "Yeah he's going straight to O'Meara this week and Shuey next week".

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He kept arguably the best midfielder in the league to 11 touches and 2 clearances, Clarke's not getting dropped.

What do you guys expect Woosha to come out and say? "Yeah he's going straight to O'Meara this week and Shuey next week".

Heaven forbid. As if any of the individual matchup planning makes a difference.

Edit: I was being serious, by the way. There is little to no evidence to suggest teams adapt their plans anyway.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back