Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

How many other teams don’t have a mid worthy of a tag? I reckon I’d be playing him every week at the minute, especially with Smith not available.
Wondering who he goes to against GC and NM honestly

I like that in almost every segment of footage you see him blocking or looking for body contact on an opposition player before and after a disposal.

He may never be a great kick, but if he can release guys like Merrett, Shiel or McGrath in space by hand and good positioning then he certainly has a lot of value to the team. Add Smith to the above list actually. Those guys who can run and carry with an extra half a metre of space due to Clarke’s defensive work will be all the more damaging.

No idea about GC but would think Cunnington is the obvious match up v. NM, no?

Just let him play as a defensive mid against GCS, guys like Swallow, Miles and Fiorini aren’t exactly crabs but they’re probably not ones you need a dedicated tagger on all game. Just tell Clarke to work off someone at each stoppage and clear space for team-mates.

Just let him play as a defensive mid against GCS, guys like Swallow, Miles and Fiorini aren’t exactly crabs but they’re probably not ones you need a dedicated tagger on all game. Just tell Clarke to work off someone at each stoppage and clear space for team-mates.

He's not playing hard a tag hence his 20 disposals a game. When we have the ball he's doing his own thing.

The Cripps number was an anomaly.

What Clarke is doing is just as valuable as a hard tag. Cripps' structural influence is at stoppages. That's where we needed to put work into him.

There is generally too much emphasis on possession accumulation.

The opposition will get the ball 350 times the important thing is not to reduce guns below 25 or 30 possessions but it's to upset the way a side wants to use the ball.

Last edited:
Send him to whoever you regard as the best mid on the day and get him to break even with them. If Clarke is breaking even with the best opposition mid every week then we are finals bound.

Will he have the ability to limit someone with line breaking speed or an outside mid? This week for example, will he have the goods to go with Shuey or Gaff?

There's one way to find out, I really hope he lines up on one of them at some point during the game (assuming he's selected).

He's not playing hard a tag hence his 20 disposals a game. When we have the ball he's doing his own thing.

The Cripps number was an anomaly.

What Clarke is doing is just as valuable as a hard tag. Cripps' structural influence is at stoppages. That's where we needed to put work into him.

There is generally too much emphasis on possession accumulation.

The opposition will get the ball 350 times the important thing is not to reduce guns below 25 or 30 possessions but it's to upset the way a side wants to use the ball.
Agree. Everyone is running with this 'tagger' narrative but he's no more of a tagger than Hocking was. He's playing basically Myers role, defensive, physical stoppage player, and it's making our team look far better balanced in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will he have the ability to limit someone with line breaking speed or an outside mid? This week for example, will he have the goods to go with Shuey or Gaff?

There's one way to find out, I really hope he lines up on one of them at some point during the game (assuming he's selected).
I wouldn’t think so - has a really good tank but think Shuey or Gaff would just be too quick.

That said, the fact he is a big body but can still spread and cover the ground is why we look so much better balanced with him in the team. None of Myers, Heppell, Jobe, Howlett et al where/are as well balanced in terms of this alone. Maybe Buddha was once upon a time.

I would be sending him to Yeo if he plays
Average 25 touches, 6 clearances and 7 tackles a game this year.

If Yeo doesnt get up then Shuey is the one for me. At least for the clearances.

Missed a trick by not sending him to someone like Sheed.

Even if it’s not a hard tag if he’s following Sheed around it’ll take him to the ball more often and improve his running patterns

15 touches
87% efficiency
6 tackles
5 Clearances

Can’t ask for much more

He started verrrry slowly so it was good that he got back into the swing of things in the 3rd. I think he had 4 touches at half time/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back