Player Watch #37: Dylan Clarke

_Swoon

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
All he needs to do by foot is master two kicks - a short 15m pass to retain possession and a long hoof down the line to a contest. All other scenarios he should just handball to a team mate who can kick it better. Play within the obvious limitations.
Works for the rest of the list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seb78

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Just play the kid. What's the risk? Surely cant be any worse that Myers. I get there's a knock on his kicking but all he needs to do is get first hands on the ball in a contest and give it to the blokes who can kick it. If I remember correctly Jobe wasn't exactly an elite kick of the footy either but fair to say had a bloody good career none the less.

60sbomber

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
His kicking deficiencies are being way overstated here. I've watched him quite a bit. and he doesn't attempt to take on difficult targets. But he hits his simple targets. No problems with that. Players like McKenna and Francis take high risk kicks, and it looks good when it comes off ("good" being successful with high degree of difficulty), but so what? With risk comes turnovers, and McKenna is giving up a donation goal about once a game recently. I don't care if Clarke takes conservative kicks and they work. No problems.
And he handballs whenever he can.
He also does a great job of getting his hands free when wrapped up in a tackle in close, and still managing to get the ball off. He sticks the in close tackles too, which you really need against guys like Kennedy (Swans) who gets his hands free in tackles and gives off.
He is worth a try. No use letting him rot in the VFL. It is time to see if he can make the step up.
And if we do, he has to play inside mid. None of this HFF/wing rubbish. Give him 3 consecutive games to adapt to the pace and we might have a player.

AFL Club
Essendon
This Myers/Langford merry-go-round is stupid. Myers is not good enough and Langford is not an inside mid and never will be.

Clarke could be, lots to like. Play him, see how he goes....better than going to the other two guys every time and expecting to somehow get a different outcome.

Top Bottom