Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Locking him in the rest of the year almost makes too much sense.

Clarke and McGrath (who are best mates by the way) are both really smart, diligent defensive players along with being elite runners. If you pair those two with Hibberd and Heppell I suspect we'd get far better results we are now, the balance between guys who love to run and attack and guys who are happy to sit back and release them do so needs to be better.

C: Merrett, Shiel, Heppell (the defensive wing role Cutler is currently occupying)
R: Draper, Clarke, McGrath

I: Parish, Hibberd,

Snelling, Smith and Stringer pinch hitting from half forward

Last edited:
I haven't been a fan of his due to his foot skills, but looks to have improved it a little from the scratch match highlights. I think it's time to give him another chance as his presence suits a perfect centre midfield set up. 1 explosive offensive player (Shiel/Stringer), 1 who can both drive and defend (McGrath) and a hard body to defend the stoppage and do the messy stuff (Clarke).

Would also add that Draper and Clarke had an amazing partnership in the VFL, Clarke wasn’t the dominant VFL midfielder without the awesome tap work from Drapes.

Were you surprised at how well Drapers tap work translated? He was doing some harlem globetrotters stuff late in the game. I think the mids weren't used to that level of creativity.

Were you surprised at how well Drapers tap work translated? He was doing some harlem globetrotters stuff late in the game. I think the mids weren't used to that level of creativity.
Not surprised at all, watching is tap work in the VFL was beautiful and he is certainly an upgrade on TBell and Phillips in that regard.

Our midfield will improve the longer Draper stats in that senior side and develops a partnership with all of them. A rucks partnership with their midfielders can’t be underestimated, being a great tap ruckman doesn’t just come from their ability to win a tap but from the connection they have with who they tap too. That connection has only just begun.

Clarke and McGrath (who are best mates by the way) are both really smart, diligent defensive players along with being elite runners. If you pair those two with Hibberd and Heppell I suspect we'd get far better results we are now, the balance between guys who love to run and attack and guys who are happy to sit back and let them do so needs to be better.

C: Merrett, Shiel, Heppell (the defensive wing role Cutler is currently occupying)

All well and good but imagine telling Zac Merret he's playing on a HFF for 80% of the time, bloke strikes me as someone who would go half gas at it. It's no wonder we don't allow more midfield rotations in that top end group.

Having watched 80% of Draper's games since he arrived and right from the get go, the most astounding thing was his ruck craft. As an 18 year old he was trying to direct his taps, as a 19 year old he was trying to reverse tap and now as a 20 year old hes using his body let alone his smarts at the contest.

I haven't been a fan of his due to his foot skills, but looks to have improved it a little from the scratch match highlights. I think it's time to give him another chance as his presence suits a perfect centre midfield set up. 1 explosive offensive player (Shiel/Stringer), 1 who can both drive and defend (McGrath) and a hard body to defend the stoppage and do the messy stuff (Clarke).

To be honest, someone that can help out (defensively) our attacking options is only going to benefit this team.

All well and good but imagine telling Zac Merret he's playing on a HFF for 80% of the time, bloke strikes me as someone who would go half gas at it. It's no wonder we don't allow more midfield rotations in that top end group.

That's why I put him in the midfield, I'm certainly not putting Jackson Merrett on the wing. They all seem very open to what Rutten is going for, which is a lot of fluid, switchy stuff, there's just a lot of teething problems.

That's why I put him in the midfield, I'm certainly not putting Jackson Merrett on the wing. They all seem very open to what Rutten is going for, there's just a lot of teething problems

I would dearly love to see what Rutten will do with a Brisbane Lions run of injuries with this group. Just imagine?

Clarke and McGrath (who are best mates by the way) are both really smart, diligent defensive players along with being elite runners. If you pair those two with Hibberd and Heppell I suspect we'd get far better results we are now, the balance between guys who love to run and attack and guys who are happy to sit back and let them do so needs to be better.

That midfield looks so much more balanced. Big bodied mids capable of doing the grunt work. McGrath has Clarke, Hibberd and Heppell to support him defensively, which gives him the ability to take the game on and attack more. Parish, Merrett, Shiel and McGrath is good amount of attacking mids.

We have depth in the middle that we don't develop or utilise. It's very frustrating and unnecessary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke and McGrath (who are best mates by the way) are both really smart, diligent defensive players along with being elite runners. If you pair those two with Hibberd and Heppell I suspect we'd get far better results we are now, the balance between guys who love to run and attack and guys who are happy to sit back and release them do so needs to be better.

Clarke and Mcgrath aren’t best mates, don’t know where you’ve pulled that from. Parish and Mcgrath are good mates.

Clarke and Mcgrath aren’t best mates, don’t know where you’ve pulled that from. Parish and Mcgrath are good mates.
Lol, Clarke and McGrath were chuffed to be selected at the same club. McGrath even said in an interview how happy he was to have Clarke coming to the same club.

I would dearly love to see what Rutten will do with a Brisbane Lions run of injuries with this group. Just imagine?

We have no injuries ? We have not been able to put our absolute best 18 on the park for over 5 years.

We have no injuries ? We have not been able to put our absolute best 18 on the park for over 5 years.
In fairness, I think he is suggesting that Brisbane have had a very good run with injuries( which was the case until last week when they lost 3 rucks at once) and that it would be nice to see how our new coaching set up would go if we could get a similar good run.

Lol, Clarke and McGrath were chuffed to be selected at the same club. McGrath even said in an interview how happy he was to have Clarke coming to the same club.
Think you’re confused with Begley who was/is best mates with Clarke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back