Player Watch #37: Dylan Clarke

Discussion in 'Essendon' started by Loonerty, Nov 24, 2016.

Put it out there
  1. Andronicus

Andronicus Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    He looks like he has just had his wisdom teeth out too does he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. AngryLittle

AngryLittle Debutant

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Can anyone young and vibrant post video of this. I am too old, mentally infirm and busy explaining my health problems to people on trains

3. ezard15

ezard15 Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Yeah watching him at VFL I was thinking he will need to be a ball magnet and improve his kicking. Will never be an elite kick.

Killer_Mike likes this.
  4. Killer_Mike

Killer_Mike Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Arsenal,Knicks,Victory
    He looks like he could become a ball magnet. I like the way he never takes his eyes off the ball around ruck contests and is always on the move.
    I'm a big fan of Langford but it's something he doesn't do. He always looking to engage his opponent which puts him off balance.
    Clarke will definitely win lots of the ball so let's hope he can work on his kicking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ezard15 likes this.
  5. BrunoV

BrunoV Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    He's a guy I would like to develop as a run-with player. I don't see it as placing a limitation on him, it's simply about "upskilling". He's a great athlete, really strong and great around the ball and it's useful for any side to have a mid who can curb the influence of an opponent's midfield guns.

6. kelvin_sheedy

kelvin_sheedy Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I like what i see from small sample set of highlights.

Keep getting it 20 times at VFL level in first year is a very good base. I'd give him 4 to 6 games at afl level if he keeps it going.

yaco55 likes this.
  7. Blazeit

Blazeit Senior List

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Got your back old mate :rainbow:

8. RedmanWasHere

RedmanWasHere Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    The Exers.
    How did Nobby go today?

9. MightyDons4

MightyDons4 Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Southampton
    Should debut him next week and get him to go h2h with Priddis. Would be great experience for him as Priddis is the type of player Clarke should be trying to replicate.

10. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Not sure I agree with the comparison. I see him more as a more inside Levi Greenwood type

11. D_P_S

D_P_S Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Clarke has had a solid start to his year averaging 21 touches with his last 3 games including 26 touches twice. He is averaging 80SC points with his lowest being 75 which shows his consistency. Kicking of course is a work in progress but couldn't be happier with his start to the year and I expect a few 30+ disposal games before the year is finished.

tperks and duckdog like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. eth-dog

eth-dog TheBrownDog

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
    Doing about what I expect of him. Might get a game late in the year.

D_P_S likes this.
  13. Kakkle

Kakkle Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Chicago Blackhawks, Crystal Palace

A player like Clarke is never going to have trouble finding the ball due to his great endurance, he'll always be able to get to a enough contests to be involved, so for me if he gets it 20 times, or 30 times it's completely irrelevant and probably the last thing I'd be measuring his year against. From the 5 or so games I've seen him of this year, the positives for mine would be his tank, and his work in congestion. He really has to improve that disposal though, for a fair chunk of the time it's not barely VFL standard, his disposal under no pressure at times is really concerning.

14. D_P_S

D_P_S Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Come on dude its his first year lets just stay positive on him for now :p Kicking can be improved and he has the desire to improve himself so im sure that will work itself out.

Killer_Mike likes this.
  15. Kakkle

Kakkle Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Chicago Blackhawks, Crystal Palace

Have you actually seen him play this year? I'm not sure if his kicking is something that will just 'work itself out' from what I can see it looks technically flawed.

16. Killer_Mike

Killer_Mike Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Arsenal,Knicks,Victory
    His kicking is some of the worst I have seen but Dodoro was aware of that. I'm sure they have a plan in place to exploit his other strengths he's going to need time.

D_P_S and Kakkle like this.
  17. D_P_S

D_P_S Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Havnt seen him play this year but last year I wasn't too worried with it. Usually knew his limitations and didn't notice many howlers. Does his best work by hand anyway and feel he will be best suited feeding the ball out from a stoppage.

Edit: actually I lie I did watch his game against Collingwood this year and that was the worst I've seen his kicking at haha

Killer_Mike and Kakkle like this.
  18. TheFrenchCut

TheFrenchCut Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I genuinely think there is a lot of merit to the idea of having him start from scratch using his right foot over the offseason.

fodzilla and yodellinhank like this.
  19. eth-dog

eth-dog TheBrownDog

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
    This. Just teach him how to do it and hope his left can get up to a Matt Priddis standard.

20. BrunoV

BrunoV Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I wouldn't say that Clarke's ability to accumulate (contested possession in particular) is irrelevant.

Step one for any player is confirming that his natural game converts to the higher level.

It's definitely a problem that he butchers the ball under absolutely no pressure. From the little I've seen it's not first year problems it could only really be mechanical.

Would be a huge shame if his kicking issues can't be resolved. He's got many high quality AFL tools.

D_P_S likes this.
  21. un_eggs

un_eggs Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    AFL teams will work him out very quickly if he is a liability in space. They will allow him that space and cover his short kicks forcing him to kick longer. They will rebound off his turnovers. By not having to follow him into space, his direct opponent will be able to outnumber us forward of the ball.

In today's game turnovers are the most deflating error and easiest way for the opposition to score while you are not set up defensively. We finally seem to have largely fixed this issue and to have a player come into your set-up without his teammates confidence that he will hit his targets is a big hurdle for Clarke to overcome.

fodzilla likes this.
  22. D_P_S

D_P_S Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    If a team is targeting him it would mean he is dangerous enough to have their attention, Eagles came out and said they had a plan for Daniher and where did that get them? Clarke is a smart player he will work into space that would allow him to release by hand if it comes to that.

duckdog and Fly like this.
  23. Howard Moon

Howard Moon Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Chelsea FC, Melbourne City FC.
    im a fan of turning him into a tagger (big tank, strong) but with an ability to win his own ball at the stoppage which punishes his direct opponent.

The best taggers are those that also compile (ling, carazzo) rather than being purely negative (crowley)

Killer_Mike and D_P_S like this.
  24. un_eggs

un_eggs Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I'm saying they wouldn't be targeting him. They'll happily allow him space and force him to kick if it's likely to result in a turnover. I really don't want to see iffy kicks in our team unless they can prove to be so elite in other aspects that you just can't ignore them. I'm hoping Clarke possesses these attributes such as excelling in clearance work but we will need a lot of patience with him because he would be a liability in our side ATM the way our gameplan is. I can't see him getting a run this year especially if we're contending for finals.

Kakkle likes this.
  25. Capt Hindsight

Capt Hindsight Cancelled

Essendon
    Other teams:
    So in summary if he becomes an 'okay' kick then he can be an AFL footballer, if he can't improve his kicking can't make it.
    Get Goddard to teach him how to kick during the off-season.