Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

37 - [PLAYERCARD]Dylan Clarke[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Not offered a contract for 2021
Last Game Played: Round 23, 2021 (omitted)
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
He had one more year of good footy left in him IMO, his 2011 in the VFL showed that. He could have been very helpful to a few of Brisbane's younger players.

I thought Hardingham ended his career when he broke his sternum? No way Brisbane were going to give Selwood who had barely any footy left in him time to recover.

Or am I getting confused with someone else?

I thought Hardingham ended his career when he broke his sternum? No way Brisbane were going to give Selwood who had barely any footy left in him time to recover.

Or am I getting confused with someone else?

You are 100% correct - It was an awkward challenge by Hardingham.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Still doesn't change the fact he didn't leave Brisbane to play with Joel like you asserted.

Are you kidding?

Watch the replay. Hardingham makes contact and before Troy even hits the ground you can see him say "I miss my bro"

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
His kicking hasn't improved at all from what I've seen in 4 or 5 VFL games this season. I don't think he can makes the cut if he doesn't improve on his kicking. I know people will throw up Clayton Oliver as an example of a role he could play, but Clayton can actually kick the ball pretty well when he wants to, and it's AFL standard.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
He obviously has a lot of strong personal qualities, covers the ground well and finds the pill - and we have a need for inside players.

The kicking for me is however a deal breaker. Sad but true. Shame he got the one year extension.. I would have preferred a quick trade for a late pick. I'd rather hope for another Guelfi.

Studly Baker

Senior List
Jun 9, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
His kicking sure is ugly, perhaps the ugliest I have seen from a professional who has played his whole life, but he rarely misses a target.

Whether or not he'll get away with it at the higher level where the game is faster and the margins of error are smaller is another thing entirely

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He obviously has a lot of strong personal qualities, covers the ground well and finds the pill - and we have a need for inside players.

The kicking for me is however a deal breaker. Sad but true. Shame he got the one year extension.. I would have preferred a quick trade for a late pick. I'd rather hope for another Guelfi.
Jobe's kicking was no better at that age, it can improve. It may not, but it might. His other qualities warrant giving him the time to try.

I always thought his poor kicking was down to the way he drops the ball, so surely it can't be that "unfixable". It's going to take a hell of a lot of work to break an awkward habit that he's probably been doing for 15 years but, he might as well start because he isn't going anywhere with it.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
His kicking got better as the game went on this week, his kicking is absolutely better than last year but still needs work. Once again I’ll make the comparison to Matt Crouch who works within his limitations but he is hardly a ‘good’ kick

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
His kicking got better as the game went on this week, his kicking is absolutely better than last year but still needs work. Once again I’ll make the comparison to Matt Crouch who works within his limitations but he is hardly a ‘good’ kick

I watched him live maybe 10 or 11 times last year, and from what I've seen from him this year is no different to last year. Needs to improve big time in 2019 otherwise he will be battling to stay in the system.

First time I've actually seen the opposition bother to really heavily tag him and he looked like he was really struggling with it early but in the end it was a serviceable enough game.

Kicking obviously still not brilliant and needs work but I'm less concerned than others, knows his limitations.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
First time I've actually seen the opposition bother to really heavily tag him and he looked like he was really struggling with it early but in the end it was a serviceable enough game.

Kicking obviously still not brilliant and needs work but I'm less concerned than others, knows his limitations.
Had 15 tackles I thought he worked extremely hard after QT

Our best small today IMO but the kicking is still what's going to hold him back.

The bigger concern with it for me isn't the direction, it's the depth. If he can somehow get to 50 metre penetration rather than 35 metre penetration then I don't care where it goes, he'll have a long AFL career.

Our best small today IMO but the kicking is still what's going to hold him back.

The bigger concern with it for me isn't the direction, it's the depth. If he can somehow get to 50 metre penetration rather than 35 metre penetration then I don't care where it goes, he'll have a long AFL career.
Yep. Was a bull at the contest.

Seemed today like his problem is that he can't hold the ball properly when he kicks. How big are his hands? I felt like if he got a better grip on the ball he could hold it longer, drop it lower and get a lot more control over where it went.

JETTA7

Senior List
Apr 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
He will be fine. Kids work ethic is unbelievable! Anyone thats willing to work as hard as him will at the very least improve his deficiencies to a serviceable level. Lets not forget hes in his second year and was pretty much our best midfielder at vfl level.

If: Dylan Clarke hasn't shown improvement with his kicking since since joining the club...

then: Essendon fans should be very concerned
If: Damien Barretts shitty article template becomes a meme

Then: I don't want to live on this planet anymore

Looking forward to Nobby getting his 2nd game next year and maybe more.

As he's a Ranges boy, I am a fan of his.
Still not getting that comparison. NO'B didn't have Clarke's kicking issues but also had not as much impact at the stoppage itself.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Still not getting that comparison. NO'B didn't have Clarke's kicking issues but also had not as much impact at the stoppage itself.
I suspect it's a reference to the former Dons footballer Neil 'Nobby' Clarke.

Or - people with the last name Clarke often have Nobby as a nickname.

Back