Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Still not getting that comparison. NO'B didn't have Clarke's kicking issues but also had not as much impact at the stoppage itself.

O’Brien was a accumulator who couldn’t kick, or lacked any sort of penetration on his kicks. Not quite as bullish at the ball as Clarke but unfortunately, from what I’ve seen was a better kick than Clarke

Said it before and will say it again.

It would be strange if he doesn't have a career without spending some time trying to remodel a kicking action using his right foot.

If he was to spend the next 2 months working with the guys who coach the alternate talent recruits he'd start pre season kicking the ball no worse than he currently does.

It might even buy him some time. The reality is that his kicking is no better than when he started and he is almost entirely ineffective on the outside because he stops and cuts inboard to look to dish off a handball, like an average ruckman, because he doesn't trust his kicking.

His action is so flawed I can't see it ever being reliable enough.

It's very frustrating because literally every other part of his game is good but it's not that good that he can be an AFL player who can't kick the ball. Those players don't really exist anymore if they ever existed.

Came second in the 2k time trial today. Like seeing that, his running was what looked off the pace during his debut. Always late to the contests. If this translates to game day he may set VFL posies records.

Hopefully not the case with him cracking into the seniors instead. Will be looking forward to some more detail training reports on his disposal.

Hopefully not the case with him cracking into the seniors instead. Will be looking forward to some more detail training reports on his disposal.

I can’t see him cracking the seniors with any significant regularity. Unless we have lots of injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like most it's his disposal that concerns me and will likely be the difference between him making it at AFL level or not. Hopefully we can hear some training reports telling us whether it's improving or will remain his achilles heel.

I'm still curious to see whether he winds up becoming a tagger. With a big engine and strong contested ball winning ability it seems a logical development path for him. I know we aren't currently tagging but I'm sure if we had someone good enough at the role we would reconsider.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back