Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

All he needs to do by foot is master two kicks - a short 15m pass to retain possession and a long hoof down the line to a contest. All other scenarios he should just handball to a team mate who can kick it better. Play within the obvious limitations.
Works for the rest of the list

Just play the kid. What's the risk? Surely cant be any worse that Myers. I get there's a knock on his kicking but all he needs to do is get first hands on the ball in a contest and give it to the blokes who can kick it. If I remember correctly Jobe wasn't exactly an elite kick of the footy either but fair to say had a bloody good career none the less.

His kicking deficiencies are being way overstated here. I've watched him quite a bit. and he doesn't attempt to take on difficult targets. But he hits his simple targets. No problems with that. Players like McKenna and Francis take high risk kicks, and it looks good when it comes off ("good" being successful with high degree of difficulty), but so what? With risk comes turnovers, and McKenna is giving up a donation goal about once a game recently. I don't care if Clarke takes conservative kicks and they work. No problems.
And he handballs whenever he can.
He also does a great job of getting his hands free when wrapped up in a tackle in close, and still managing to get the ball off. He sticks the in close tackles too, which you really need against guys like Kennedy (Swans) who gets his hands free in tackles and gives off.
He is worth a try. No use letting him rot in the VFL. It is time to see if he can make the step up.
And if we do, he has to play inside mid. None of this HFF/wing rubbish. Give him 3 consecutive games to adapt to the pace and we might have a player.

This Myers/Langford merry-go-round is stupid. Myers is not good enough and Langford is not an inside mid and never will be.

Clarke could be, lots to like. Play him, see how he goes....better than going to the other two guys every time and expecting to somehow get a different outcome.

His kicking deficiencies are being way overstated here. I've watched him quite a bit. and he doesn't attempt to take on difficult targets. But he hits his simple targets. No problems with that. Players like McKenna and Francis take high risk kicks, and it looks good when it comes off ("good" being successful with high degree of difficulty), but so what? With risk comes turnovers, and McKenna is giving up a donation goal about once a game recently. I don't care if Clarke takes conservative kicks and they work. No problems.
And he handballs whenever he can.
He also does a great job of getting his hands free when wrapped up in a tackle in close, and still managing to get the ball off. He sticks the in close tackles too, which you really need against guys like Kennedy (Swans) who gets his hands free in tackles and gives off.
He is worth a try. No use letting him rot in the VFL. It is time to see if he can make the step up.
And if we do, he has to play inside mid. None of this HFF/wing rubbish. Give him 3 consecutive games to adapt to the pace and we might have a player.

It is not about his kicking in open play or not under a lot of pressure. He has worked out that part of his game. On the spread or run he can get away with his slow ball drop and hit targets most of the time. Problem is under pressure in the heat of a stoppage he can not get a kick away or if he does it goes 10 meters up and 5 meters in distance. With the pace going up a level in the AFL he either has to just rely on handball or get pinched holding the ball when he tries to kick or the bare minimum just get tackled and we have another stoppage. Other sides will quickly pick up if he simply tries to handball at all of the stoppages.
If he was more of an outside player he would get away with it but he is not. He is an inside midfielder and not being able to get a quick kick away under pressure is a serious issue.

It is not about his kicking in open play or not under a lot of pressure. He has worked out that part of his game. On the spread or run he can get away with his slow ball drop and hit targets most of the time. Problem is under pressure in the heat of a stoppage he can not get a kick away or if he does it goes 10 meters up and 5 meters in distance. With the pace going up a level in the AFL he either has to just rely on handball or get pinched holding the ball when he tries to kick or the bare minimum just get tackled and we have another stoppage. Other sides will quickly pick up if he simply tries to handball at all of the stoppages.
If he was more of an outside player he would get away with it but he is not. He is an inside midfielder and not being able to get a quick kick away under pressure is a serious issue.

I haven't seen it in vfl. He usually handballs rather than have a quick kick, which you think will be a problem; I'm not sure I agree that it would be a problem, as there are some really good strong inside mids who predominantly handball. Oliver and Kennedy (Ducks) spring to mind.
In any event, the only way to find out is to play him and see how it works for him at afl level. Not much point leaving him in the vfl. I haven't seen a clanger kick from him in the vfl all this year.

A
I haven't seen it in vfl. He usually handballs rather than have a quick kick, which you think will be a problem; I'm not sure I agree that it would be a problem, as there are some really good strong inside mids who predominantly handball. Oliver and Kennedy (Ducks) spring to mind.
In any event, the only way to find out is to play him and see how it works for him at afl level. Not much point leaving him in the vfl. I haven't seen a clanger kick from him in the vfl all this year.
Add Cripps to that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's OK, I can accept that as an opinion. From my VFL watching, Langford has been lacking in intensity and there is not a wide gap between the two. Clarke has been named as an emergency so coaches possibly have him under some consideration.

Well if he gets a go, good luck to him. We really need another inside mid.

If we were ever going to develop someone into a tagger, this guy is prime candidate number 1.
Don't mind that idea, any way to break this bloke into the seniors works for me. Needs a solid run at it. Can't see us winning the flag this year so not exactly a huge risk to take either.

If we were ever going to develop someone into a tagger, this guy is prime candidate number 1.

Interestingly last night his brother Ryan, who’s also a poor kick, was used as a tagger on Sidebottom and did quite well and kept him to just 13 possessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back