Past Elijah Taylor - delisted 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod Note:

I've removed a large number of posts from the last day or so that is mainly speculation without any factual basis and broader discussion on the issue of DV.

I want to bring this thread back on track and reiterate the scope of the discussion to be:
*new developments in the Taylor case as more facts get reported
*ramifications of such facts on Taylor's future at the club and the Swans
*subsequent actions the Swans should take

If you want to talk about the sociology around the issue of DV more generally there's sure to be many appropriate threads on the Society, Religion, Politics board.

There's no reason for oppo posters to be weighing in here, there's a thread on the main board about the exact same topic.

From here on posts that are simply speculating without any factual backing are going in the bin. This includes:
*any posts speculating on the outcome of Taylor's guilt/innocence - he's presumed innocent until found guilty, we know as it stands there are serious allegations of DV against him, there's going to be a hearing on September 30. Without further fact and information, no one's in a position to make a more enlightened view.
*any posts theorising the girl 'attention-seeking' or making false claim for some other reason - without any supporting facts it's completely unfair to be making that sort of character assessment. A DV allegation is a serious claim and there's no business in dismissing it until the facts arise to counter it.

Let me get this straight - you believe that IF he has indeed beaten a woman, the Swans should continue to employ him???

Aside from the obvious moral problem with that, have you considered the impact on the club’s image and supporter base? It’d send a message that the Swans tolerate abuse of women. I’d be ashamed of the club, as would many, many others.

IF he’s guilty, he has to go.

Immediately.
And what about the moral problem of a club writing someone off without providing mentoring, support, and the chance to allow them to redeem themselves. Footy isn't the standard work force. Clubs pull kids out of education into a system that requires complete commitment in a bubble outside of the real world, therefore they have a responsibility to develop them and work around their issues. What's better, abandoning a kid for a shocking mistake, or mentoring him and turning it around potentially developing a successful career? Again, the variable here is that he is remorseful.

And what about the moral problem of a club writing someone off without providing mentoring, support, and the chance to allow them to redeem themselves. Footy isn't the standard work force. Clubs pull kids out of education into a system that requires complete commitment in a bubble outside of the real world, therefore they have a responsibility to develop them and work around their issues. What's better, abandoning a kid for a shocking mistake, or mentoring him and turning it around potentially developing a successful career? Again, the variable here is that he is remorseful.
Everyone is remorseful when they get caught.

This issue boils down to violence.
I don't know why people believe the gender of the victim or offender matters
If we assume violence is unacceptable from one person to another, then we have to accept that any violence is unacceptable.
Whether it be DV, a fight outside a pub, a punch on the playing field, road rage ... it's all in the same bucket and shouldn't be seen as acceptable.
It's better to work with offenders with education and guidance, give offenders a chance to learn and rectify, rather than have an immediate reaction of discard the person

Are there any WA based fans here? Apparently Perth news said Elijah Taylor has been arrested. Can anybody confirm that?

This story states questions but no charges

Yeah the next 24 hours will be crucial. But I'd be surprised if he was charged at the same time he was arrested.

I believe the process is you arrest them on suspicion of a crime, you question them, then you charge them once their lawyer is present. I am not a lawyer so feel free to correct me, one of my old school mates Dad was a cop so that is very much secondhand information on the process.

Yeah the next 24 hours will be crucial. But I'd be surprised if he was charged at the same time he was arrested.

I believe the process is you arrest them on suspicion of a crime, you question them, then you charge them once their lawyer is present. I am not a lawyer so feel free to correct me, one of my old school mates Dad was a cop so that is very much secondhand information on the process.
That's how cop shows work so maybe the same

I hope the truth comes out and it all gets sorted. If he is charged with DV, sack him. They might charge him with the COVID breach too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article is paywalled. Any indication what the arrest is for?

Here's article for you.

Interesting that the alleged incidents occurred back in Sydney.

Sydney Swans AFL player Elijah Taylor arrested by WA Police
Phil Hickey and Kate RyanThe West Australian
Sun, 13 September 2020 8:00PM

Rising Sydney Swans star Elijah Taylor has been arrested and questioned by police in Perth this afternoon.
The 19-year-old was arrested in the south-eastern suburb of Langford about 1.25pm, 7NEWS have reported.
CCTV appears to show the teenager, who is currently exiled from the AFL over a quarantine breach, being taken into custody by police and put into a police vehicle.

It’s understood Taylor is currently being questioned by police at Cannington police station.
No charges are believed to have been laid at this stage and the exact reason for his arrest remains unclear.
Taylor’s manager said the young AFL recruit was co-operating with police and no charges had been laid.
It’s not the first time the WA-born Sydney Swans first year player has made headlines.
Last month, serious claims against Taylor were brought to the attention of police, after allegations by his ex-girlfriend, 18-year-old former Karratha Senior High School student Lekahni Pearce, were made on social media.
The acts allegedly took place three times in Sydney before COVID-19 and hadn’t been reported to police.
The AFL said once they found out about the claims, they contacted the police over the allegations in a statement which said: “The allegations are extremely serious. The AFL has been in contact with local law enforcement and will continue to provide support and assistance for all.”
Elijah Taylor's girlfriend Lekahni Pearce. Credit: Unknown/Facebook
Taylor had been staying with family in WA following a suspension for the rest of the AFL season for a quarantine breach involving his 18-year-old girlfriend.
In August, the 19-year-old was suspended for the rest of the AFL season after Ms Pearce was caught in his Joondalup resort room.
She had arrived from NSW two weeks earlier and had completed her quarantine period but wasn’t allowed into the player’s hub. The late-night rendezvous cost the Swans $50,000, half of which was suspended.
Taylor apologised, for what was called a “really poor decision”, and the Sydney Swans later apologised to the WA community for the situation. The 19-year-old revealed he had received a barrage of racist comments following his apology on social media.
Ms Pearce also apologised for the breach, but told 7NEWS “how easy” it was to pull off.
“No security, I didn’t see a security guard,” she said. “I just walked through, went to his room. That’s how easy it was.
“I am sorry for everything. And like, we did make a really big mistake.”
Taylor has been staying with family in Perth since he was suspended.

For the WA Police to charge him there MUST offence in WA or a warrant from another jurisdiction, e.g. NSW or a Commonwealth offence.

1) There may be previous incidents in WA and thats why he is being interviewed.
2) She may have reported the matter to NSW police and WAPOL are going to do a interview.
3) If there was a warrant he would charged immediately if extradition is requested by other state (don't know WA Law though).

Troubled times...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

For the WA Police to charge him there MUST offence in WA or a warrant from another jurisdiction, e.g. NSW or a Commonwealth offence.

1) There may be previous incidents in WA and thats why he is being interviewed.
2) She may have reported the matter to NSW police and WAPOL are going to do a interview.
3) If there was a warrant he would charged immediately if extradition is requested by other state (don't know WA Law though).

Troubled times...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ah ok, that's good to know, thanks for the extra info

More than happy to sever ties. He’s just not worth it. I know people bring up micky 0, and there is no place for this behavior in society. However clubs do handle these things differently these day, PR is one of the most important things for a footy club and incidents like this have to potential to cost clubs millions in sponsorships.
Not assuming guilt, if he’s assaulted his partner he should be dealt with just like anyone else, but from a clubs point of view they should seperate from him now before he does anymore more damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back