🌸🌷🌹🌺🌻🌼
Jul 9, 2015
Αρκαδία
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers, Gold City Royals
Mod Note:

I've removed a large number of posts from the last day or so that is mainly speculation without any factual basis and broader discussion on the issue of DV.

I want to bring this thread back on track and reiterate the scope of the discussion to be:
*new developments in the Taylor case as more facts get reported
*ramifications of such facts on Taylor's future at the club and the Swans
*subsequent actions the Swans should take

If you want to talk about the sociology around the issue of DV more generally there's sure to be many appropriate threads on the Society, Religion, Politics board.

There's no reason for oppo posters to be weighing in here, there's a thread on the main board about the exact same topic.

From here on posts that are simply speculating without any factual backing are going in the bin. This includes:
*any posts speculating on the outcome of Taylor's guilt/innocence - he's presumed innocent until found guilty, we know as it stands there are serious allegations of DV against him, there's going to be a hearing on September 30. Without further fact and information, no one's in a position to make a more enlightened view.
*any posts theorising the girl 'attention-seeking' or making false claim for some other reason - without any supporting facts it's completely unfair to be making that sort of character assessment. A DV allegation is a serious claim and there's no business in dismissing it until the facts arise to counter it.

SeanM

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
We don't have an obligation but it would be good to see. A footy club is a powerful thing and we're presented with an opportunity to try and change someone for the better for society's sake. I'd like to think we wouldn't just wash our hands of it just because he's not our problem anymore.
I don't know what the reality is.

When you see 18yo kids get drafted, each year the club will meet the family, promise them that they will look after their kid and make them better men as well as footballers. etc

But the reality we delist young players every year, ending their AFL careers and send them back to their home state. We delisted Hirst after half a season. I am not sure what support the club offers. Or whether one year on an AFL rookie list is still seen as a positive experience.

With list cuts, I think about guys like Reynolds and Rowles who possibly may not ever get a senior game. And hope it has been a nice experience to be part of the club travelling around the country. And form bonds with the guys they were drafted with. But it makes me savour the little success stories like Fox and Wicks taking their chances and cementing a spot in the team. Or seeing young players get a debut or celebrate their first goal or win.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wolfgang West

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
He is staring down the barrel here. Incident reported and charged within 24 hrs. Investigations of Domestic violence where there is no evidence and some conflicting accounts by either party last days if not weeks. There is evidence here be it physical or witness present. Take that to the bank. He is in deep sh*t and yes he should have the fairness of being presumed innocent until otherwise but without saying innocent or guilty get the solvol out and wash your hands of him. Nothing less than he deserves.

Heeney2Franklin

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He is staring down the barrel here. Incident reported and charged within 24 hrs. Investigations of Domestic violence where there is no evidence and some conflicting accounts by either party last days if not weeks. There is evidence here be it physical or witness present. Take that to the bank. He is in deep sh*t and yes he should have the fairness of being presumed innocent until otherwise but without saying innocent or guilty get the solvol out and wash your hands of him. Nothing less than he deserves.
Whats the difference between Elijah and De'Goey? other than the latter being a much better and more high profile player in a big Victorian club.

Dubai Quacker

Club Legend
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I wish I didn’t find myself agreeing.

But I do.

Grand Uncle Horace

Brownlow Medallist
May 24, 2017
Old South Grandstand
AFL Club
Sydney
My question is whether there are clauses in his contract he has broken? If yes, is the Club able to exercise these and delist him?

Presumably the AFLPA would be involved in representing ET's interests if all this came to pass.

I am guessing the Club would pay out his 2021 contract as part of severance pay. I guess they would not want such payments included in the 2021 salary cap and for the AFL to sign off on this.

ET possesses a heap of talent. I was delighted when we drafted him. He is great fun to watch, even in the snippets we saw with the Club.

Wheresbuddy

Draftee
Sep 14, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I think ETs games gave an insight into where he is at presently, especially his maturity. Flashes of brilliance mixed in with avoiding the hard stuff. He lost most of his hard one on ones and looked afraid to put his body on the line to tackle. Definitely more talent than Wicks or Foot but those boys give you the impression they really want to be out there. With looming list cuts, I will be very dirty if one of these boys goes and ET stays.

Angry Red Bull

Formerly 'puke'
Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
My question is whether there are clauses in his contract he has broken? If yes, is the Club able to exercise these and delist him?

Presumably the AFLPA would be involved in representing ET's interests if all this came to pass.

I am guessing the Club would pay out his 2021 contract as part of severance pay. I guess they would not want such payments included in the 2021 salary cap and for the AFL to sign off on this.

ET possesses a heap of talent. I was delighted when we drafted him. He is great fun to watch, even in the snippets we saw with the Club.
I’m not across specific content of afl contracts. It’s likely I would say that repeated cases of ill discipline represent a breach of contract in which case they can tear up the contract without further obligation. I suspect they didnt want to go that far at this stage to show support to someone who is presumed innocent.

Bear31

Team Captain
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I think ETs games gave an insight into where he is at presently, especially his maturity. Flashes of brilliance mixed in with avoiding the hard stuff. He lost most of his hard one on ones and looked afraid to put his body on the line to tackle. Definitely more talent than Wicks or Foot but those boys give you the impression they really want to be out there. With looming list cuts, I will be very dirty if one of these boys goes and ET stays.
I agree he looked good. I thought he was a talent going forward. He wont stay.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
In fairness, Foot was dropped after, what, 2 games? So the coaches might think he hadn't shown enough, in which case it wouldn't be related to ET.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wheresbuddy

Draftee
Sep 14, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
In fairness, Foot was dropped after, what, 2 games? So the coaches might think he hadn't shown enough, in which case it wouldn't be related to ET.
But if there is only one spot left on the list and they take ET over Foot, that would be a tragedy. Zac has had a tough upbringing but has not let that hold him back. He's worked his arse off to get his opportunity. As an aside, he was pretty good on debut and some of his play in the Neafl last year was electrifying. I think he's shown enough to keep a spot, depending on the size of the lists of course.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
But if there is only one spot left on the list and they take ET over Foot, that would be a tragedy. Zac has had a tough upbringing but has not let that hold him back. He's worked his arse off to get his opportunity. As an aside, he was pretty good on debut and some of his play in the Neafl last year was electrifying. I think he's shown enough to keep a spot, depending on the size of the lists of course.
Yeah I wasn't disagreeing, just saying that I could see an outcome where list management decisions and ET's fate won't be related. Ie we might still decide to get rid of player x y or z even if ET isn't on the list anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom