Past Elijah Taylor - delisted 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod Note:

I've removed a large number of posts from the last day or so that is mainly speculation without any factual basis and broader discussion on the issue of DV.

I want to bring this thread back on track and reiterate the scope of the discussion to be:
*new developments in the Taylor case as more facts get reported
*ramifications of such facts on Taylor's future at the club and the Swans
*subsequent actions the Swans should take

If you want to talk about the sociology around the issue of DV more generally there's sure to be many appropriate threads on the Society, Religion, Politics board.

There's no reason for oppo posters to be weighing in here, there's a thread on the main board about the exact same topic.

From here on posts that are simply speculating without any factual backing are going in the bin. This includes:
*any posts speculating on the outcome of Taylor's guilt/innocence - he's presumed innocent until found guilty, we know as it stands there are serious allegations of DV against him, there's going to be a hearing on September 30. Without further fact and information, no one's in a position to make a more enlightened view.
*any posts theorising the girl 'attention-seeking' or making false claim for some other reason - without any supporting facts it's completely unfair to be making that sort of character assessment. A DV allegation is a serious claim and there's no business in dismissing it until the facts arise to counter it.

Far out.

So I hold jumper numbers in significance... Dunno why really. But I do.

I'm going to feel weird about seeing a different 37.

The number 37 jumper, in my opinion, is a big deal at the club. Hope the kid uses the pressure (that will undoubtedly come with wearing it) the right way & not let it burden him.

Weird isn't it. I wonder if that was a request from Goodes himself? Next move will be to save numbers for the Irish or those with European backgrounds. Are t we al "one"?

If they want to give it to the aboriginal kid because that’s what Adam wanted then fine and dandy with me I don’t care

Just it stayed retired since Adam left and the club rate it as an important number

So why give it to someone unproven who will run around in the neafl or be a bust potentially

That’s all

Personally hand the numbers out and move on each year. 37 should have been used the year after Goodes retired

Have to admit I don’t get romantic nor nostalgic notions about numbers on the back of shirts. What’s done is done if it is and you move on. Retain memories but move on. What will be will be whatever number is worn and the success or failure will not be any reflection on previous wearers in this case 37 and Goodes. The business of ‘retiring’ shirt numbers is fanciful. By all means revere the player because of his deeds on and occasionally off the field but not a number. His deeds are worth revering.
The club puts alot of effort into maintaining links with the history of the club and making sure new players are aware of past players and where the club has come from. Presumably this is part of the "culture" of the Swans and ensures that new players are aware of what has been built before them. The club number also corresponds to the locker number which has on it a list of all the players who have worn that number before them, number of games etc. So it is easy to be flippant about a number just being a number but it is all part of the history and culture of a football club and makes players realise they shoulder some responsibility for maintaining that culture through their actions on and off the field.

“Flippant” really? Wow. I take the history and culture of the club very seriously and with respect. In particular it’s people. Each to their own. You want to get excited by numbers and lockers with records on them then that’s cool. I don’t.... but please refrain from calling me flippant because that’s disrespectful and given you are so twisted in knots about respecting numbers on shirts and lockers you would hope you carry that to respecting people and their opinions

Thanks Arwib. If that's the case that's yet another disadvantage for the northern clubs.

Not necessarily, being in the TPP Manual likely means it's in there as an explicit exclusion from TPP, like as a specific welfare allowance. Same way guys who move interstate get allowances for furniture purchases, and that won't be in TPP.

Comparing annual reports and other info, clubs seem to spend somewhere around 2 and 3 million on players that isn't within TPP and ASA or the Soft Cap. Those three things add to about 22 or 23 million (12m + 1m + 9m) and most clubs are around 25m+ in football department spending (Sydney were at 26m in 2018), so there's an unexplained gap there. Some of that will be payroll tax and rookie pay, but a lot will be specific allowances and subsidies, and I'd be surprised if relocation and welfare allowances mentioned in the CBA aren't examples of those TPP exclusions.

Last edited:
Just had a read through this.
If people couldn't care less what numbers are worn or given out to certain players then why even be so concerned enough to go on about it.

Make of the number thing what you want it to be.
Shut your eyes, click your heals & be carried away to where ever you want to be taken to.
If it's not your thing, then I say just carry on without the worry.
Personally I just think they've tried to make the kid's transition to his new world an inviting one.
Each player on our list has their own personality so if such things as giving them a certain number gives him some feel good vibes, it's actually irrelevant what I think. If I don't like it I could just go & p.ss off.:(

Just had a read through this.
If people couldn't care less what numbers are worn or given out to certain players then why even be so concerned enough to go on about it.

Make of the number thing what you want it to be.
Shut your eyes, click your heals & be carried away to where ever you want to be taken to.
If it's not your thing, then I say just carry on without the worry.
Personally I just think they've tried to make the kid's transition to his new world an inviting one.
Each player on our list has their own personality so if such things as giving them a certain number gives him some feel good vibes, it's actually irrelevant what I think. If I don't like it I could just go & p.ss off.:(

So you go on with it further because you don’t get why people go on about it

Let’s go on more then. You could reply then I could reply and so on

So you go on with it further because you don’t get why people go on about it

Let’s go on more then. You could reply then I could reply and so on
Can I reply?

“Flippant” really? Wow. I take the history and culture of the club very seriously and with respect. In particular it’s people. Each to their own. You want to get excited by numbers and lockers with records on them then that’s cool. I don’t.... but please refrain from calling me flippant because that’s disrespectful and given you are so twisted in knots about respecting numbers on shirts and lockers you would hope you carry that to respecting people and their opinions
It's rare that you get an opportunity to use the word, in fact it could be a first. i may have been a bit flippant myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What have Taylor and Goodes got in common? They're from opposite sides of the continent from incredibly different families and play a completely different footballing role. Taylor is Noongar and Goodes is Adnyamathanha. The two peoples are separated by more distance than London and Kosovo, and they speak completely dangerous languages.

"They're both indigenous" is about the laziest attempt at analysis I've ever seen. Let the bloke try and build a career without these ridiculous comparisons

End rant

If it’s an important number give it to a proven player

If you believe in the numbers mattering

It's an important number for more than just footy ability though. Last year when indigenous players around the comp wore 37 on their jumpers as a show of respect it was pretty clear that number is no longer just Adam's, nor is it just for Swans fans. It's become very meaningful for indigenous footballers around Australia. I think there's no more fitting candidate to wear 37 than a kid who Goodes himself indirectly stood up for.

It's an important number for more than just footy ability though. Last year when indigenous players around the comp wore 37 on their jumpers as a show of respect it was pretty clear that number is no longer just Adam's, nor is it just for Swans fans. It's become very meaningful for indigenous footballers around Australia. I think there's no more fitting candidate to wear 37 than a kid who Goodes himself indirectly stood up for.
Great post and point Caesar :thumbsu:

What have Taylor and Goodes got in common? They're from opposite sides of the continent from incredibly different families and play a completely different footballing role. Taylor is Noongar and Goodes is Adnyamathanha. The two peoples are separated by more distance than London and Kosovo, and they speak completely dangerous languages.

"They're both indigenous" is about the laziest attempt at analysis I've ever seen. Let the bloke try and build a career without these ridiculous comparisons

End rant
I'll wait until I see the statistical data when his career is over before I comment on whether he should have worn number 37 thanks.

I'll wait until I see the statistical data when his career is over before I comment on whether he should have worn number 37 thanks.
I never mentioned his number in that post Ted, as usual you see everything as a personal attack on yourself or your views

footy offseason!

I do not think it (number) matters much to any new recruit, as much as it matters to fans.

Some of you lot are intense fans analysing everything. The weekend nuffies, prolly will get a buzz but 37 playing NEAFL?
Yes I know Goodes did once after debut.

If Elijah gets a little buzz out of seeing Goodes name on his locker it , it might help? (Risky move Imho I would not have done it! - it would intimidate me)

More exciting is Rowles has 39. All the talk is Reg Grundy.
BUT, Rowles had the best vertical running leap at combine (or some other test?) with staggering 98cm.
39 was THE WHIZ's number!

If it’s an important number give it to a proven player

If you believe in the numbers mattering
How many examples do you have of the club giving jumpers that have been held out of rotation being given to proven players? 14 wasn't, 4 wasn't, 31 wasn't.

AFL. Com did not see fit to mention Adam Goodes' number had been given to young Taylor

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why would they? There's about 80 new players getting their new numbers over the next couple of weeks. Definately relevant on the Swans website of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back