Past #37: Kyron Hayden - delisted end '22 - 12 NM games/ 0 NM goals - thanks Ronny

Remove this Banner Ad

slam

Debutant
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Not stoked about this, even though he is contracted he still can get picked up by another club. Freo or WC could do a Cam Delaney if they feel he is worth an early rookie pick

Thanks to those who answered my query re freeing up the spot - makes sense now re shuffling picks to enable more coverage against rival early bids on TT/BS.

I guess you could argue the hopefully low risk of losing KH is a better option than the relatively higher risk of not being able to match a bid on TT and/or BS....

Of course whether there was another player we could have delisted to put on the rookie list (if still available) is the debatable argument.

Arguably losing Hrovat via a delisting pick up to another club would hurt depth in the next 12 months but losing KH might hurt in future years...

Hopefully all theory and not an issue if clubs play nice....but would we play nice if a similar player untried but maybe fulfilling a future need for us was in the same position from another club?

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks to those who answered my query re freeing up the spot - makes sense now re shuffling picks to enable more coverage against rival early bids on TT/BS.

I guess you could argue the hopefully low risk of losing KH is a better option than the relatively higher risk of not being able to match a bid on TT and/or BS....

Of course whether there was another player we could have delisted to put on the rookie list (if still available) is the debatable argument.

Arguably losing Hrovat via a delisting pick up to another club would hurt depth in the next 12 months but losing KH might hurt in future years...

Hopefully all theory and not an issue if clubs play nice....but would we play nice if a similar player untried but maybe fulfilling a future need for us was in the same position from another club?

I understand the freeing up of a list spot and we will need the extra points on draft night but it should have been at the expense of Hayden being on the senior list.

Declan Watson, Durds, Hrovat or hell even Garner would’ve made me sleep a bit better than risking Hayden in the open market.

I’m obviously thinking worst case scenario, if he ends up back here on the rookie list then all will be well. I just don’t like the risk.

I understand the freeing up of a list spot and we will need the extra points on draft night but it should have been at the expense of Hayden being on the senior list.

Declan Watson, Durds, Hrovat or hell even Garner would’ve made me sleep a bit better than risking Hayden in the open market.

I’m obviously thinking worst case scenario, if he ends up back here on the rookie list then all will be well. I just don’t like the risk.
Garner, seriously? I'm not overly happy about Hayden being delisted but I'd be furious if we risked losing Garner for nothing.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Garner, seriously? I'm not overly happy about Hayden being delisted but I'd be furious if we risked losing Garner for nothing.

Dunno why you even give the idea any oxygen

Sorry I might have missed it - but freeing up the spot suggests there is a specific additional target the club is after.

Any ideas who? Ie free up room to try and get....? (Presumably a later / recycled player? )
It’s to do with the academy/F-S rules where you need a list spot for every pick you take to the draft. We split a pick to upgrade points late in the trade period and looks like we haven’t been able to manage another pick swap since to tidy things up.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne

If no one is picking up Menzel because of his injury history no one would even entertain picking up Garner. People overrate him big time on this board.

If no one is picking up Menzel because of his injury history no one would even entertain picking up Garner. People overrate him big time on this board.
I think you might be overrating a player drafted one year ago who's yet to play a single AFL game or show anything outstanding at VFL level.

Also, he's apparently of the kind of character that clubs rate very very highly in terms of professionalism.

I fully expect GWS to bid on TT at (current) pick 9 they got off the drug cheats.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Tigs had a crack at Bailey at 17, maybe thinking we won't go that high.
Shifter and Twomey did their mock draft today and they bid on TT at Adelaide's pick 15(after Blakey/Quaynor bids)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So how quick are we able to get in to pick Kyron up in the rookie draft? I've given up trying to work out this strategy?

Yeah, we overrate a bloke who has shown he can stand up in final, take pack marks and kick the goal, and set up two more, to keep us in the game.

TG has been injured (der), but in terms of what he has actually delivered when fit, he's in the elite at this club.

Shifter and Twomey did their mock draft today and they bid on TT at Adelaide's pick 15(after Blakey/Quaynor bids)

I know that GWS rate him very highly, and will most likely be keen to make us pay top dollar given our interest in one of their players.

Yeah, we overrate a bloke who has shown he can stand up in final, take pack marks and kick the goal, and set up two more, to keep us in the game.

TG has been injured (der), but in terms of what he has actually delivered when fit, he's in the elite at this club.

Not to mention a player who can take amazing pack marks and while everyone else is still standing around going "wow" have the smarts and awareness to handball to someone in advantage and create attacking opportunities that take advantage of that spit second while everyone is distracted.

Dunno if you remember what i'm talking about but it was class.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Would've thought roos_fanatic08 had a reasonable point. Menzel and Garner are both mercurial but injury prone talents. Menzel is the more proven player and if he is being left on the shelf despite DFA status then you might guess Garner would be too.

It's fairly obvious if Garner was on the park a lot then rf08 would not have made this same assessment (correct me if I'm wrong).

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I think you might be overrating a player drafted one year ago who's yet to play a single AFL game or show anything outstanding at VFL level.
I'd rather risk losing Haydon than Garner. I'm not sure where all the hype on Kyron is coming from tbh.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back