Past #37: Kyron Hayden - delisted end '22 - 12 NM games/ 0 NM goals - thanks Ronny

Remove this Banner Ad

zoomba23

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m a bit confused by your last sentence……hasn’t he signed on for another year?
*, my bad. I thought he was as good as gone based off this year and the talk on here. His Instagram would suggest otherwise. Please excuse my idiocy, he might well be a part of the future after all

I get the impression that he has probably been offered another contract (related to the new rookie list rules?) but was told it wasn't to be made public until the club makes list change announcements. So, his insta caption was pulled.

But I'm speculating.

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Player development was such a big issue for years. Not convinced we got the best out of guys like Black, Atley, Wright, Ziebell, Bastinac, Hansen, Mullett, Wood, McKenzie etc. Physical and aerobic development was really terrible back at the start of the 2010s too. It felt like it took Brad Scott and the rest of the footy department the best part of five years just to get a team fit enough to run out games.

What I've seen guys like Simpkin, Thomas, LDU, Larkey, Zurhaar and co do over the last couple of years gives me more hope for the future than anything. You could argue we've even improved developing our senior players like Hall and Ziebell.

At the end of last year after we appointed Noble and he started gathering up assistant coaches his emphasis in pretty much every interview was about improving people and teaching the finer arts of football. The assistants he hired echoed a lot of the same sort mantras regarding development. I found Heath Younie's interviews particularly convincing towards the fact that we had a clear vision for how we would build our club back up on-field.

It's a really interesting discussion point. Despite coaching for 10 years, Brad Scott never developed an All Australian player. There's not even a lot of success stories overall when you look at some of the best kids he developed. Cunnington would be his standout, but Cunners took a long while to get going and even at his best under Scott he was still a poor runner.

Luke McDonald wasn't on your list, obviously because he became a great player. But that's another supremely talented kid, who was also very underwhelming under Scott. As soon as a new coach came in he instantly took his game to another level and became a b&f winner.

There's definitely a lot to get excited about with this new regime. I'll be keeping a close eye on Bailey Scott and Curtis Taylor next year, as I think those are two who you can look at and straight away tell that they're behind the pace for fitness and size for third year players. Comparing them physically to Tarryn Thomas from that same draft, who put in a ton of extra work to get to where he is, really puts into perspective how little we've developed them. It would be incredibly encouraging if after their first proper David Noble preseason if one of or both of those players takes a noticeable leap. Especially after 10 years of seeing guys like Bastinac, McKenzie, Black etc never get there.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Scott developed players exactly enough to play a role in his system and no more. It was an ok system from say 2012-mid 2016, but the fact we never finished top four tells you everything you need to know ultimately. Scott was a rigid coach, and IMO this extended to player development. He had a system and bent players to fit it rather than building a system around extending the talents of the players he had.

Too early to tell where Noble sits on the continuum of “system at all costs” vs “build a system to players’ strengths” but obviously I’m hoping it’s the latter.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Scott developed players exactly enough to play a role in his system and no more. It was an ok system from say 2012-mid 2016, but the fact we never finished top four tells you everything you need to know ultimately. Scott was a rigid coach, and IMO this extended to player development. He had a system and bent players to fit it rather than building a system around extending the talents of the players he had.

Too early to tell where Noble sits on the continuum of “system at all costs” vs “build a system to players’ strengths” but obviously I’m hoping it’s the latter.
Finishing top 4 means nothing unless you actually win the flag. Perfect example is Fagan at the Lions finished top 4 this year and last year and so far has not achieved anymore than we did. Does that make him a bad coach or a under achiever or have the Lions under achieved. Iam not sure depends what you call successes Flags or top 4 finishers.Even if finishing top 4 gives you a better chance still means nothing if you dont win the flag.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Finishing top 4 means nothing unless you actually win the flag. Perfect example is Fagan at the Lions finished top 4 this year and last year and so far has not achieved anymore than we did. Does that make him a bad coach or a under achiever or have the Lions under achieved. Iam not sure depends what you call successes Flags or top 4 finishers.Even if finishing top 4 gives you a better chance still means nothing if you dont win the flag.

Yeah maybe but Scott did neither. Our best shot was 2015 but we had to play a prelim in WA. We played some great footy under Scott and I supported him up until round 1 2019. With hindsight though it’s hard not to feel he didn’t get the best out of either individual players or the list we had.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
RF08's Season Review

Games Played: 3
Avg Disposals: 7
Goals: Nil
Stat Highlights: - 8.7 pressure acts per game

Best Game
Round 4 Vs Adelaide - 9 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles

Summary

After shifting from the half back to the midfield during the 2020/21 pre season, the expectation was that Hayden would cement his spot in the best 22 come season 2021. It looked as though he was earmarked for as a midfield stopper throughout the pre-season. After a decent pre-season, Hayden didn't start the season in the AFL side. Come round 3 Hayden was back in the senior side. He played a few games through the midfield but a hamstring injury cut sort his return to the seniors. While he didn't set the world on fire in his three games you could see that he was starting to find his niche in the midfield particularly against Geelong. It seems to be the case with Hayden, that as soon as he starts to find some continuity, he picks up some sort of injury, much like Aiden Bonar or Taylor Garner. He pushed for a return later on in the season, but yet again had another hamstring niggle. It's a bit of an unknown as to where his best position is. It's obvious that he has some incredible athletic and physical traits but he needs to get some continuity into his body if he is going to be an AFL player. It looks as though he has put pen to paper on a one year deal for next year but this has yet to be announced by the club. Either way, 2022 is shaping up to be a make or break year for the 88kg wrecking ball.

That was Pagan at the end of 1995.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ve heard he is set to sign a one year extension.
Last chance for our Kyron surely…..
C8554EBE-CB18-466B-AEA8-4270A41637B6.gif

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits

the latter for sure…no coincidence hall, ziebell, Stevenson, simpkin, TT, had carreer best seasons playing in different or slightly different roles previous… Puts players in positions that suits their attributes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back