Past #37: Kyron Hayden - delisted end '22 - 12 NM games/ 0 NM goals - thanks Ronny

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Average disposal at best, gives up front position too easily one on one, behind a fair few more skilful, dynamic and defensively adept players for a spot in the back line. He is a hard nut but he’s *also* injured a lot. He’s had a few chances and tbh don’t think he’s really taken them. Not knocking him personally, just think he is behind too many and lacks a point of difference/potentially elite - or even reply good - attribute.

Gone I reckon. A shame but he isn’t making us a better side next year 🤷‍♂️

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is he outright not good enough, or has he simply not had enough time while fit to show if he is good enough?

I'm in the latter camp. I love most of his attributes and while I have some concerns over some of his skills/decision making I don't think he's had anywhere near enough time to find or show improvement in those areas. He's had a horrific injury run.

Of the eternally injured we're almost definitely delisting Will Walker, Garner, and Dom Tyson. IMO we can justify holding on to Kyron another year.

I hate the delisting time of the year, but I think he's been unfortunate to be injured when he has. Too many have gone past him now I feel.

wont be annoyed if club does retain him though, their decisions the last couple of years have been pretty good

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The club has continuity. They can see how he trains, match simulation... he's not getting a look in.

He's literally injured atm so it's a moot point. Had something like an 6+ week hamstring strain (which was originally reported as just awareness iirc), then hurt his shoulder at training in the incident that saw Zurharr playing sore, and then tweaked his adductor. Not sure he's been available for selection more than once in the last 3 months.

If we want to move on as a club and step up, sadly we need to get rid of some of our injury prone players eg. Kyron and garner. It’s sad to see but it’s the right thing to do.

If we want to move on as a club and step up, sadly we need to get rid of some of our injury prone players eg. Kyron and garner. It’s sad to see but it’s the right thing to do.

Will Walker another who has had a lot of injury issues. A lot depends on who else we are letting go and what kind of draft picks we have available. We probably don't want to remove a talented player and shove low probability 5th+ round picks on the list.

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
We've got quite a few backmen like him already and he'll never get a go in the midfield. Reckon he's done. Archer's son replaces him on the list if we get him as that hard at it small-med backment

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
He's literally injured atm so it's a moot point. Had something like an 6+ week hamstring strain (which was originally reported as just awareness iirc), then hurt his shoulder at training in the incident that saw Zurharr playing sore, and then tweaked his adductor. Not sure he's been available for selection more than once in the last 3 months.

Well there's that too, I was avoiding mentioning how injury prone he is.

He might get saved with the extra year on the rookie list but I'd be surprised anybody thinks he deserves a promotion to the senior list which up until a week ago roughly (when the rule came in) would have been the only way he'd get another year. I wonder if decisions were already made on Hayden and Campbell before the new rookie list rules and plans made to that effect, doesn't bode well for either.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I hate the delisting time of the year, but I think he's been unfortunate to be injured when he has. Too many have gone past him now I feel.

wont be annoyed if club does retain him though, their decisions the last couple of years have been pretty good
Yeah good post and totally with you hate the delisting time of year they are all North players at the end of the day and always sad to see our players moved on regardless of if people rate them or not.

Eggs11

All Australian
Jul 18, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure why we’d persist with an apparently injury prone player with poor skills and decision making. Hard to see the return on investment. But as others have said, the people making these decisions have earned more trust than may have been deserved in the past.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
well said
Every time they hit the field i want them to have a crack, kick a bag and get it 30 times. Go to the GDT and they are called campaigners by died in the wool supporters. You can be critical of our boys and want them to do well at the same time.

Sometimes people around here would rather be right on a player theyve put a line through than have said player play well and prove them wrong.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

DocSholl

Club Legend
Aug 10, 2021
In Arjen's head
AFL Club
GWS
Is he outright not good enough, or has he simply not had enough time while fit to show if he is good enough?

I'm in the latter camp. I love most of his attributes and while I have some concerns over some of his skills/decision making I don't think he's had anywhere near enough time to find or show improvement in those areas. He's had a horrific injury run.

Of the eternally injured we're almost definitely delisting Will Walker, Garner, and Dom Tyson. IMO we can justify holding on to Kyron another year.

Agree it's about time the club started showing patience with perennially injured players

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree it's about time the club started showing patience with perennially injured players
Your sarcasm is noted.

Club just needs to pick and choose. Going off the top of my head the perennially injured players of the last couple of years have been Will Walker, Kyron, Garner, Comben, Perez, and Dom Tyson.

Will, Garner, and Dom are probably done and dusted, while Perez and Comben are already signed. We can probably find a spot for Kyron still, especially if he's happy staying on the rookie list for one last (extra) year.

I simply think he still has scope for (rapid) improvement if his body, and an AFL club, gives him the chance. That said I'm not convinced his body will give him that chance, but the club would have far better knowledge about that.

osaka mick

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton, 76s, Canucks
Must go.

We need list space for this years draft intake which looks quite decent hopefully we take ~5 picks in the ND.
Disagree. I hope we keep him. If you want 5 gone, I would put these names ahead of Hayden.

Cambell, Garner, Tyson, Walker, Menadue.

We will also be looking at getting rid of Polec, Dumont and possibly Atley through trades.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Every time they hit the field i want them to have a crack, kick a bag and get it 30 times. Go to the GDT and they are called campaigners by died in the wool supporters. You can be critical of our boys and want them to do well at the same time.

Sometimes people around here would rather be right on a player theyve put a line through than have said player play well and prove them wrong.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
doubly well said

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Your sarcasm is noted.

Club just needs to pick and choose. Going off the top of my head the perennially injured players of the last couple of years have been Will Walker, Kyron, Garner, Comben, Perez, and Dom Tyson.

Will, Garner, and Dom are probably done and dusted, while Perez and Comben are already signed. We can probably find a spot for Kyron still, especially if he's happy staying on the rookie list for one last (extra) year.

I simply think he still has scope for (rapid) improvement if his body, and an AFL club, gives him the chance. That said I'm not convinced his body will give him that chance, but the club would have far better knowledge about that.

He's 22 already and what footy he has played this year was pretty awful. Bad decision-making and poor skills. The game moves on relentlessly and I suspect we will be looking for 5 or 6 list spots at least.

Will Walker, Tyson, Campbell, Menadue, Hayden. and even Atley are all in the gun.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Disagree. I hope we keep him. If you want 5 gone, I would put these names ahead of Hayden.

We will also be looking at getting rid of Polec, Dumont and possibly Atley through trades.
Well we need a couple of picks I think for the PSD as a club

tiltraise

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2008
arden street
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Think Campbell should stay.

If you are suggesting we bring in a mature ruck that will will cost picks and/or TPP.

Back