Delisted 37. Michael Luxford (2014-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

If he cracks it for a senior game, I think it's a vindication of the selection. We only had two 'A' spots, anyway. So we weren't allowed to take a third rookie who had played organised football in the past three years, anyway. It had to be two 'A' picks and one 'B' pick.

No he didn't. That worked out real well too.

Jim Stynes got a couple of decent games in, Mike Pyke isn't shabby, O'Hailpin ...

but what's the big exposure to cause the cries of gloom? I'm not saying this bloke will be a superstar, but he is definitely an athlete worth a try IMO

No he didn't. That worked out real well too.

Think Folau is a pretty disingenuous comparison. We've had multiple people in this thread who have said Luxford routinely plays with his mates, and follows the sport closely. None of that was true of Folau, who was a tremendous athlete but clearly knew bugger all about the game and had one skill (marking) that was sort of transferable. Not expecting this kid to be a superstar, but it's worth noting that we just promoted George Burbury who'd played the grand total of six games before we listed him.

Thought we'd done pretty well with our 'B' grade rookies, the only thing that'll stop Bathie at Richmond will be his age imo.
But Blitz has been a revelation, I expect a 50% improvement in most areas of his game this year, the guy has huge upside.
I reckon they realized to be fair, you've got to draft them around 19-21 years.
I'm hopeful he'll have as much success as Blitz. :thumbsu:

What about K.Hunt?. He came up good.

He did? Midfielders who average 11 touches a game are in short supply I admit. Then again he has kicked 6 goals in 43 games so he's a fair threat up forward too.

The gloss has worn off now, and once their young guys improve further he'll be quietly and without fuss moved on.

I'd love to know how we arrived at this decision. I am presuming he has been through some sort of mini-draft camp with other talented non-football athletes and he came up best.

The lack of information in the press release makes me think we are protecting our process to unearth these rookies from other clubs copying it.

That or catgirl has been pestering Stephen Wells to take a look at him.

Thought we'd done pretty well with our 'B' grade rookies, the only thing that'll stop Bathie at Richmond will be his age imo.
But Blitz has been a revelation, I expect a 50% improvement in most areas of his game this year, the guy has huge upside.

When you consider that Kermit Brereton was getting all wet in the undies over Brad Hill doing the best 3km time trial ever at the draft at 9 min 52 sec ... but the Blitz has done the same in 8 mins 19 secs ... I think there's LOT'S of room left.

This guy's 6'1, 18 yo and 92 kg - that's a fair lump of a lad and according to Catgirl he's one of these guys who's good at everything he does AND a nice kid.

Of course let's not forget - Blitz brings his running and jumping skills to the Cats and that has to rub off. This kid will no doubt have some basketball skills he can share, especially as a point guard, they do a lot of structural stuff.

All upside and not a hell of a lot of downside IMO

I'd love to know how we arrived at this decision. I am presuming he has been through some sort of mini-draft camp with other talented non-football athletes and he came up best.

The lack of information in the press release makes me think we are protecting our process to unearth these rookies from other clubs copying it.

That or catgirl has been pestering Stephen Wells to take a look at him.

Max Rooke's old man sent out letter. Cam Guthrie's dad told Wells about Blitz.

If Catgirl had some rose coloured glasses for Luxford and bashed a tin until someone paid attention… then I'm all for it.

Moral of the story is it doesn't matter how er find them, as long as we keep doing it...

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

parade collegiate, but had family that went to the friars.

one is 29 and the other around 35.

I was out in 1991. LONG time ago. From all reports school is still pretty good and travels well for all things offered.

Im 40 so I was out probably when the 35 yo was in yr7.

Go Catters

he's 92 kilos!
Hard to tell from that photo but he appears to have solid arms and you would assume he'd have solid legs being a basketballer with exceptional leaping prowess.
Oh he's solid alright. Used to walk around the school with his shirt open to show himself off.

As for his leaping, all I know is he set high jump and long jump records at our school and won it pretty much every year. Except for one year when he broke his wrist jumping.

Mind you our school has an amazing sports program and ranks pretty highly all around in the state.

Oh he's solid alright. Used to walk around the school with his shirt open to show himself off.

As for his leaping, all I know is he set high jump and long jump records at our school and won it pretty much every year. Except for one year when he broke his wrist jumping.

Mind you our school has an amazing sports program and ranks pretty highly all around in the state.

Based on what you posted earlier, I'm sure you were all over that!. :cool:

Go Catters

yeah, i finished in 91 as well, first year of hsc-2-vce transition.

Ahh the joys of the VCE english and maths and the HSC everything else….

Joys...

Go Catters

We seem to have picked an ideal profile for a B Class Rookie - exceptional athlete , great size and with a skill set that should translate well as a Point Guard - ball handling , touch , decision making , spacial awareness and a rebounder to boot - seems there's a lot to like there. Let's all get around him and wish him well , as Meto has said he's only a kid so give him some time.

We seem to have picked an ideal profile for a B Class Rookie - exceptional athlete , great size and with a skill set that should translate well as a Point Guard - ball handling , touch , decision making , spacial awareness and a rebounder to boot - seems there's a lot to like there. Let's all get around him and wish him well , as Meto has said he's only a kid so give him some time.

2 years slow bake on Geelong culture should do wonders...

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back