AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Not actually entirely a joke.... Martin is taking more marks, kicking more goals, and generating more score involvements than McCluggage, and averaging very slightly less disposals, at 3 years younger.
Very true. You could also argue it's easier to Martin to get a kick at our club too :O McCluggage may be finding it slightly harder to shine given the team around him, or you could even flip that and say he shines because of the team around him. Could argue it either way :)

This kid is scary good. In the first qtr, a deflected kick came inboard from Guelfi on the wing. Marto puts one mitt out, doesn't break stride, pulls it in and delivers to a target. I was stunned. This kid is the tall midfielder we've been screaming for. I'd like to say "well done, Dodoro". But frankly, i doubt he got on a plane at any point to watch this kid. Well done EFC WA recruiter.

Not actually entirely a joke.... Martin is taking more marks, kicking more goals, and generating more score involvements than McCluggage, and averaging very slightly less disposals, at 3 years younger.
I didn't entirely mean it as a joke actually given he is only a 6 game player at this stage. Give Martin some more time in the AFL system and playing AFL games, he still has plenty of upside. Problem for him is that he is in our system, but you can't have everything. Just a pleasure to watch some of the things he does.

Just noticed something with this kid, he's covering like 15km+ per game.
R3: 15.4km
R5: 15.4km (Highest on ground)
R6: 15.7km (Highest on ground)
R7: 15.5km (Highest on ground)

R4 is missing data and R1/2 he wasn't in the top 5. But clearly, he has built his fitness during the early part of the season and is a running machine.

R4 is missing data and R1/2 he wasn't in the top 5. But clearly, he has built his fitness during the early part of the season and is a running machine.
He built his fitness on his own and is one of the few we have running on top of the ground.

Where are you getting GPS data?

Where are you getting GPS data?
Painfully going into the Telstra Tracker for each game. I was looking for something to do with top end speed and tall players and could've sworn 2MP and Harry McKay had topped the table a few times in games but stumbled on Martin as the total KM leader for one of the games I looked at and yeah, found it to be impressive!

Painfully going into the Telstra Tracker for each game. I was looking for something to do with top end speed and tall players and could've sworn 2MP and Harry McKay had topped the table a few times in games but stumbled on Martin as the total KM leader for one of the games I looked at and yeah, found it to be impressive!
It seems to be broken. Doesn’t work live, round 4 is missing and round 2 is all zeroes.

Although going in and out of games and checking the team stats at the bottom confirms my suspicions— as a team we’re definitely running just as far or further than our opponents over the course of the game, so blowing up at some point and looking like we’re running in quicksand is inevitable. Repeat sprints on the other hand are a consistent fail.

Did he mean that little side step/candy sale he did on the last line of defence against the Dogs? That was a thing of beauty

Yep, that was sublime & superb. Left Weightman for dead & then hit the target.

He reminds me a lot of Leon Baker with his step & vision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t stand Essendon but have no idea why this guy isn’t being talked about as leading the rising star award, every journo seems to busy frothing over Daicos getting 20 uncontested touches a game..
Come now

It’s obvious you love Essendon

You should barrack for us tomorrow. Just listen to your heart.

Genuinely think there's a chance he's winning our B&F right now. If not for the 1 missed game he'd be definitely leading it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back