AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Amidst the glory there was a soft one handed marking attempt on the wing

Without seeing it I suspect his U18's carnival was a bit of that and a bit of going missing for large stretches. But he went and got fit and his true football class started to shine through. Just wow.

Long journey but I think we could agree .. it's all worked out juuust fine.

He’s had a few of those this year. Definitely not a good look and hopefully something he can work on BUT jeez I’ll cop it if it’s the reason he was overlooked for so long and we got him for free.

Hopefully he doesn't want to go home.
I doubt it seeing as we were the only club who gave him a chance.
But that didn't bother Crameri I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s media voted and he’s the only one they ever talk about 🤷‍♀️
more so pre-season and before he was even drafted

now the season is underway and Martin has come from the clouds, there's as much talk about our boy as there is anyone else.

-----------

His efficiency inside forward 50 is incredible. 52% time in forward half vs Crows, every other game has been 50% or more in defensive half. Partly a reflection of where the game has been played this season, but also a reflection of him tracking up to help his teammates. I think he has the speed, poise and presence to alternate between wing and half forward. Helps create confusion with opposition match ups if he does regularly swing.

rolls royce cars GIF

If we'd had an extra pick in the top 10 in last year's draft and picked this kid, right now we'd be saying we'd nailed the draft. Crazy that he fell to us in the SSP.

If we had pick 1 and took him I’d be very, very satisfied.

Instead we didn’t need a draft pick at all!

If we had pick 1 and took him I’d be very, very satisfied.

Instead we didn’t need a draft pick at all!

You know what's amazing is that I was watching him closely on the weekend because I had a bet on him to have over 19.5 possessions. He had only 7 at half time.

They moved him into the middle after half time, and not only did he get more of the ball, but he actually gave us something. He lifted the team. I felt he was the one who got us back into the game in the second half.

My Old man (70) reckons he's a slightly taller version mix of Garry Foulds and Leon Baker

A ball magnet and always in the right spot (game and ball reader) and goal nouse you can't teach
Yep, I have posted before re Baker.

Saw both Foulds & Baker and they both had ability to create space & time!

See a bit of "Everyone Loves Raymond" too!

Hopefully he doesn't want to go home.
I doubt it seeing as we were the only club who gave him a chance.
But that didn't bother Crameri I guess.
I think given he jumped on a plane to get to Vic for his chance, and signed an extension where the Eagles would have been all over him at years end alleviates any concern I have there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back