Delisted #38: Cody Brand - not offered another contract - 18/10

38 brand.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2022
Last Game Played: Yet to debut
Injury Status: n/a

My Boy Draft 2022: Pick 19, JT_the_Man

Last edited by a moderator:
Abundance of tall backs.
Brand, BZT, McBride, Ambrose, Hooker, Hurley, Francis, Cox.
Someone's playing a position other than backline. I hope it's not Brand.
You can pretty much guarantee at least one of those will be injured at any given time so I don’t think it’ll be an issue.

Abundance of tall backs.
Brand, BZT, McBride, Ambrose, Hooker, Hurley, Francis, Cox.
Someone's playing a position other than backline. I hope it's not Brand.
A few will be retiring and some won't make it.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Brand so far this off season has been off the boil by all reports

He may be one who has gone the other way due to Covid last year. Did well in his underage year but couldn't continue to improve without games and has struggled with transitioning into an AFL enviroment?

I hope the club knew they were taking a longer term approach with Cody because he sounds like he has some tools to work with to make 'it'.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He'll get some leeway because there was no season last year. All the 2020 recruits will get it, the club has said as much.

Sounds like he might need a little bit and that whatever he was or wasn't doing last year has been found out (he was also struggling with injury last year).

As EnolaGay said above, he's a JHA selection. He was bid on by another club when we were looking at a lightening quick half back and a small forward and we still took him (and after significant deliberation if I recall correctly).

Mark it down as a steep learning curve for now.

Last edited:
....comment probably not needed.

Moving on.
Agreed. Calling someone behind the 8 ball Francis 2.0 isn't needed.

Francis brother passed away. It's about time people stopped bagging out his first few years at the club and accept grief is a campaigner of a thing.

A 196cm, 18yo Key defender who hadnt kicked a ball in anger within a competitive setting in over 18 months struggles to keep up with seasoned AFL players in his first season...

Stop the presses.
DELIST

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

Francis brother passed away. It's about time people stopped bagging out his first few years at the club and accept grief is a campaigner of a thing.
I never knew that Francis brother died. That’s extremely tough stuff in the late teens. When in Aaron’s career did that happen?

I never knew that Francis brother died. That’s extremely tough stuff in the late teens. When in Aaron’s career did that happen?
A year before he got drafted iirc. Four boys I think, but Hayden was the one he was closest to and was his greatest supporter. They apparently had plans to move to Queensland together if Aaron got drafted to Brisbane, which was Hayden's favourite team. The rest of the family supported the Bombers (including Aaron). I believe Aaron had Hayden's name in texta on the inside wall of his footy boot.

edit: Here's an article..

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Agreed. I read your original comment as you being cold.

Must have misinterpreted without the tone. Text will do that 👍

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
A year before he got drafted iirc. Four boys I think, but Hayden was the one he was closest to and was his greatest supporter. They apparently had plans to move to Queensland together if Aaron got drafted to Brisbane, which was Hayden's favourite team. The rest of the family supported the Bombers (including Aaron). I believe Aaron had Hayden's name in texta on the inside wall of his footy boot.

edit: Here's an article..
Thanks Lore 👍

Cody Brand
“Brand played key back for most of the game. He had a couple of big contests where he spoiled really well. He got led to the ball a few times, which is something we’re working on with him. It was really good to see him out there working hard, getting used to the pace of game and learning.”

'led to the ball'... 🤔 As in he isn't good at reading it himself? Isn't that supposed to be a key trait in defence...

eorl

Senior List
Aug 24, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Cody Brand
“Brand played key back for most of the game. He had a couple of big contests where he spoiled really well. He got led to the ball a few times, which is something we’re working on with him. It was really good to see him out there working hard, getting used to the pace of game and learning.”

'led to the ball'... 🤔 As in he isn't good at reading it himself? Isn't that supposed to be a key trait in defence...
I believe it is "he was well behind his opponent so could not affect the contest"

Back