Retired #38 Colin O'Riordan - 2021 best clubman

MQfJMVeK.jpg

Colin O'Riordan

Player Profile

Irish Sydney Swans import Colin O’Riordan is determined to cement a position in the club’s evolving back six in 2020. The 2015 draftee broke through for his AFL debut in Round 17, 2018 and featured in 12 senior games in 2019. O’Riordan can shut down tall and small forwards and loves to run and carry.

Colin O'Riordan

DOB: 12 October 1995
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: County Tipperary (Ireland)

Last edited:
An irishman's writeup of COR's debut watching the game from Kevin O'Riordan's home
- loved the comments that gaelic football could use handballing could be used as an attacking rather than defensive move
- talking of Colin needing his head bandaged - when Colin played "played the last few minutes of an All Ireland Minor final with a broken pelvis, from performing at his best"
- "Buddy may not have being on our radar before yesterday morning but now he is our favourite sports star in the world."
http://www.friendsoftipperaryfootball.com/2018/07/16/colin-o-riordan-makes-his-swans-debut/
Great Craic.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
An irishman's writeup of COR's debut watching the game from Kevin O'Riordan's home
- loved the comments that gaelic football could use handballing could be used as an attacking rather than defensive move
- talking of Colin needing his head bandaged - when Colin played "played the last few minutes of an All Ireland Minor final with a broken pelvis, from performing at his best"
- "Buddy may not have being on our radar before yesterday morning but now he is our favourite sports star in the world."
http://www.friendsoftipperaryfootball.com/2018/07/16/colin-o-riordan-makes-his-swans-debut/
Great Craic.
Great get SP! I enjoyed that one.

Great Craic.
Brilliant read, thanks so much SP.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
One of the real benefits he brings is that he's athletic. He obviously doesn't have McVeigh's experience and canny nous to find space and set up play yet, but his leap and intercept marking and run are going to be very handy qualities to work with as he becomes more comfortable.

I'm really excited to see him progress.

I enjoyed this article about COR:
- the excitement on being told you will debut
- Tadgh reminding him to phone his family
- the pre-game nerves
- "I haven’t read too much into my performance because I just want to hold my place in the team. It’s a ruthless industry, I play in a side that’s difficult to crack into and it’s even harder to stay once you get in the team."
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-07-19/oriordan-a-moment-ill-never-forget

Metapod

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi swans fans, thought it was an excellent game for O’Riordan last week! Looks a real keeper. Do you think he will keep playing or is currently keeping the spot warm for McVeigh? Obviously would have to perform but I’ve seen Horse will continue playing kids if they are performing..

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Hi swans fans, thought it was an excellent game for O’Riordan last week! Looks a real keeper. Do you think he will keep playing or is currently keeping the spot warm for McVeigh? Obviously would have to perform but I’ve seen Horse will continue playing kids if they are performing..
Who knows, am still stunned Reg is playing NEAFL today.
Horse will want Macca in for finals, COR or Marsh are the men most likely to make way.

His game was one of the only positives today. Made a few mistakes as you'd expect in such a horrific loss but he had some special moments that make you think he could be a hell of a player.
He was one of the few that looked like he gave a s**t!

Good in him, he’s done well so we should hopefully see him improve further with more AFL experience. Hope he can iron out those little mistakes that invariably cost a goal per game.
I've noticed the mistakes he's making reduce this year. And the kind of mistakes too... Less breaking rules mistakes or not having a natural feel for the game... but more pressure driven & "natural" errors (e.g. from opposition pressure etc).

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I've noticed the mistakes he's making reduce this year. And the kind of mistakes too... Less breaking rules mistakes or not having a natural feel for the game... but more pressure driven & "natural" errors (e.g. from opposition pressure etc).
Got a good boot on him too.

Colin O'Riordan gets released by the Sydney Swans....

...to play against Cork

After watching Collingwood’s Mark Keane perform heroics with a last-second winner for Cork against Kerry on Sunday, O’Riordan made a call to two Swans team-mates who helped convince Sydney head coach John Longmire to allow him play.

“Colin did try to make himself available for all the league matches as well but at that moment in time Sydney Swans wouldn’t release him,” said Power.

“So to be fair to Colin he was probably emailing every week the head coach, because as we were winning he was getting itchy feet, even though he was with [coach] Charlie McGeever on the sideline during the matches.

“But it kind of came to a head on Sunday evening. He made a phone call and he basically got on to the joint-captains of Sydney Swans. Between the joint-captains of Sydney Swans and the head coach, they agreed to let Colin play.

Jul 9, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Can't be any worse than wake boarding.
They talk of him as a midfielder like his highlight reel showed when we drafted him.
No surprise really that he has struggled to establish himself, suppressing his instincts to play a highly structured role in the defensive unit.
Bit of a recurring theme under Longmire me thinks... recruit an attacking spearhead, a key defender, a ruck and 41 general midfielders and force those square pegs into round holes.
Just my opinion!

JeremyVanHolden

Debutant
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Back here in Ireland, Colin was always touted as the best young talent in the country and in Tipperary, there was talks of hum being the best footballer that ever played for the team...and this was still when he was only 19!
I agree with Nool Carpenna here regarding him being more of a midfielder. He is best going forward and attacking. He has great athleticism too which makes me think he would be a great player to have on the wing. We know he has a good kick of the footy too and can kick with both feet. He was never a man marker so it has always baffled me how he ended up in this type of a role with Sydney. He will likely play in midfield for Tipperary in the upcoming game.
For those interested to see how he gets on in the provincial final, it is on at 00.30 Monday 23rd Sydney time! If Tipperary win, it will be the first time they will have lifted the cup since some time in the 1930s, hence the eagerness of the team to get Colin involved and playing!

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Back here in Ireland, Colin was always touted as the best young talent in the country and in Tipperary, there was talks of hum being the best footballer that ever played for the team...and this was still when he was only 19!
I agree with Nool Carpenna here regarding him being more of a midfielder. He is best going forward and attacking. He has great athleticism too which makes me think he would be a great player to have on the wing. We know he has a good kick of the footy too and can kick with both feet. He was never a man marker so it has always baffled me how he ended up in this type of a role with Sydney. He will likely play in midfield for Tipperary in the upcoming game.
For those interested to see how he gets on in the provincial final, it is on at 00.30 Monday 23rd Sydney time! If Tipperary win, it will be the first time they will have lifted the cup since some time in the 1930s, hence the eagerness of the team to get Colin involved and playing!

Does anyone know if this is televised live because it’s a long way to Tipperary.....

Back