Retired #38 Colin O'Riordan - 2021 best clubman

Remove this Banner Ad

MQfJMVeK.jpg

Colin O'Riordan

Player Profile

Irish Sydney Swans import Colin O’Riordan is determined to cement a position in the club’s evolving back six in 2020. The 2015 draftee broke through for his AFL debut in Round 17, 2018 and featured in 12 senior games in 2019. O’Riordan can shut down tall and small forwards and loves to run and carry.

Colin O'Riordan

DOB: 12 October 1995
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: County Tipperary (Ireland)

Last edited:
What responsibility does the club have with respect to the injury? Has AFLPA negotiated some component of a payout for future medical costs? A hip injury has a possibility of premature degeneration and early hip replacement. If Colin returns to Ireland will he get any financial support for health needs?
Colin is employed in Australia, therefore his medical costs associated with his rehabilitation (to maximum medical improvement (MMI) [defined as being unlikely to improve more than 3-5%]) are covered under workers comp. If he has suffered a permanent injury, he will receive a payout based on the injury category. There is likely to an exemption to premature degeneration as most physically demanding sports are likely to incur this.

I am unsure of the current agreements between Ireland and Australia, but in most cases, support ceases when you leave the country on a permanent basis.

It would have been difficult enough trying to break into the most elite level of a game you'd only just picked up without having to contend with constant injuries as well.

Sounds like he's the kind of guy who deserved better luck than he had. Hope he goes on to do something great post AFL.

I'm still yet to see anything about this other than the brief mention in an article that mostly focused on other things. The last club update on COR about 10 days ago had him doing some level of training and helping out in drills etc. It said he wouldn't play again this season. Nothing more. COR has also said nothing on social media. Am I missing something?

If he was to go, it hits our small/med defender stocks, is a really valuable player. Makes Cunners, Fox even more important to re-sign. Puts more heat on the development of Rankin and possibly Sheather.

I'm still yet to see anything about this other than the brief mention in an article that mostly focused on other things. The last club update on COR about 10 days ago had him doing some level of training and helping out in drills etc. It said he wouldn't play again this season. Nothing more. COR has also said nothing on social media. Am I missing something?

If he was to go, it hits our small/med defender stocks, is a really valuable player. Makes Cunners, Fox even more important to re-sign. Puts more heat on the development of Rankin and possibly Sheather.
Much as I rate Colin, and I do, I've said previously we are overstocked with medium defenders. Colin, Foxy, Melican, Gould, Blakey, O'Connor and maybe now Ollie and/or Juzzy can play that role.
I don't count Lloyd in that cohort or Campbell.
Harry and Rankin are stretching a bit to play on the smaller mediums but can at a pinch.
If Colin retires and Melican trades out we are still in pretty reasonable shape. If Melican stays I suggest we need no replacement for Colin and might in fact consider Barry's place.
I wouldn't get too stressed, other than losing an darned good club man.

Colin is employed in Australia, therefore his medical costs associated with his rehabilitation (to maximum medical improvement (MMI) [defined as being unlikely to improve more than 3-5%]) are covered under workers comp. If he has suffered a permanent injury, he will receive a payout based on the injury category. There is likely to an exemption to premature degeneration as most physically demanding sports are likely to incur this.

I am unsure of the current agreements between Ireland and Australia, but in most cases, support ceases when you leave the country on a permanent basis.
Thank you so much. Great to have such knowledgeable people on board.:)

Much as I rate Colin, and I do, I've said previously we are overstocked with medium defenders. Colin, Foxy, Melican, Gould, Blakey, O'Connor and maybe now Ollie and/or Juzzy can play that role.
I don't count Lloyd in that cohort or Campbell.
Harry and Rankin are stretching a bit to play on the smaller mediums but can at a pinch.
If Colin retires and Melican trades out we are still in pretty reasonable shape. If Melican stays I suggest we need no replacement for Colin and might in fact consider Barry's place.
I wouldn't get too stressed, other than losing an darned good club man.
O'Connor probably won't be on the list after this season and really has only played key position or interceptor in reserves.

JMac, Blakey shouldn't be turned into actual defenders. Blakey can intercept or spoil if needed sure, but he's an offensive weapon, same as JMac. JMac hasn't shown any prowess at this in any case.

Fox and Cunningham (who when in form are our best medium and small defenders respectively), are late 20s. We need to think about who might replace them in a few years. That's assuming they re-sign.

Melican and Gould are better suited on taller opponents, at least I've not seen any recent evidence of them cleaning up on smalls. Melican doesn't look like he'll be breaking into the senior team anytime soon, nor be in a position where we'd want him to (where I'd be quite comfortable with COR coming in). Gould will be a KPD or interceptor based on what he's done in reserves.

I'm not saying we need to draft or trade a small/med defender in right now. I just think we're (possibly) losing one of our best 3-4 in that position and it warrants some thought. If we think Rankin and Sheather will fill that gap, cool.

Last edited:
Credit to Colin. Always gave his all for the red and white. To have been struck down with injuries his whole career from his first injury of cracked ribs up in Darwin to his recent eye/hip injuries, he showed great determination to fight on. He is a hardy player who never took a step back for us and wore the Swans guernsey with pride. All the best in the future mate!

Damn Sinclair was one tough bastard cant recall the season we didn't have any rucks left with Naismith ACL injury.

Sinclair stood up and solo rucked for almost a entire season.

Well done on COR as well thought at times he was close to cementing a position in our team just couldn't quite put it together.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back