Retired #38 Daniel Lloyd (Pick 26, 2015 Rookie Draft)

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Daniel Lloyd
upload_2015-11-27_12-5-35.jpeg

Height:
186cm
Weight: 88kg
D/O/B: 18/02/92
Position: Fwd

The GIANTS selected forward Daniel Lloyd from the Central Coast of NSW who has been training with the club since pre-season began three weeks ago. He was spotted by GIANTS Assistant Coach Mark McVeigh playing for the Killarney Vale Bombers in the Black Diamond Football League and invited to train at the club. A former scholarship holder with the Western Bulldogs, the 23-year-old is a powerful mid-sized forward who stands at 186cm and 88kg. He kicked nine goals in a semi-final for Killarney Vale this season and also won their 2015 Best and Fairest award.
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-11-27/second-chance-saloon

Last edited:
WHEN Daniel Lloyd arrived at Greater Western Sydney last year former boilermaker Shane Mumford told him he “won’t want to go back to work.”

As a second-year apprentice carpenter, Lloyd knew exactly what the big man was talking about.

Last Saturday — his 25th birthday — he took a big step towards cementing his future as a professional footballer with two goals, 10 disposals and eight tackles in the Giants’ 33-point JLT Community Series win over West Coast at Narrandera.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/26b76199744c4a6623ab0525aa0ab181

Pocket Profile

Pocket Profile: Daniel Lloyd
GIANTS Media
Sep 20, 2019 9:38AM

Forward Daniel Lloyd favourite possession is his wedding ring and his favourite animal is a Tiger because it's his son's favourite. What a sweetheart! - GWS Giants,Daniel Lloyd,AFL

Forward Daniel Lloyd favourite possession is his wedding ring and his favourite animal is a Tiger because it's his son's favourite. What a sweetheart!
Name: Daniel Lloyd
Nickname: Lloydy
Any pre-game superstitions or routines: Music
Greatest individual effort you have seen on the footy field: Angus Baldwin winning six centre clearances in a row in U16 grand final, got us over the line
How many games of footy do you watch each weekend: 2
Favourite commentator and why: Bruce
Favourite meal the night before a game: Spaghetti bolognese
Which teammate should appear on the next series of The Bachelor: Zach Sproule
Teammate most likely to succeed after football and why: Matt de Boer
Which teammate belts out your club theme song with the most gusto: Toby Greene
Favourite Netflix series: Making a Murderer
Apple Music or Spotify: Spotify
Do you play Fortnite: No
Favourite comedian: Carl Barron
Favourite animal and why: Tigers, my son’s favourite
Favourite section of the AFL Record: Quiz
Your favourite possession: Wedding ring
Your favourite holiday destination: Bali
The most famous person you have met: Heath Shaw
The most famous person you would like to meet: Mike Tyson
Dream job if you weren’t a footballer: Chippy
The funniest/weirdest thing that has happened to you: 2014 mad monday
What scares you: Trampolines
What is the one talent you wish you had: Golf

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Dan Lloyd.png

The ultimate teammate and competitor, Daniel Lloyd, has announced his retirement from the AFL.

The 31-year-old will retire at the end of the season after eight seasons in the AFL, with a remarkable footballing story to come to an end.

The goal-kicking forward was a NSW scholarship holder with the Western Bulldogs as a teen before giving up the game and returning home to Killarney Vale on the Central Coast to live and work as a carpenter. Years later, at the age of 23, Lloyd was spotted by former Assistant Coast and fellow Central Coast product, Mark McVeigh, playing for the Killarney Vale Bombers in the Black Diamond League, where he kicked nine goals in a semi-final. After trialing in front of coach Leon Cameron, the GIANTS rookie-listed Lloyd ahead of the 2016 AFL season. From there, Lloyd has gone on to play 96 AFL games so far, including the 2019 AFL Grand Final, and has proven himself as a consistent and reliable member of the GIANTS’ best 22.
Lloyd announced his retirement to the group on Thursday morning, joined by wife Crystal and kids Parker and Charli.

“I’ve known for quite some time now and Crystal and I have had many conversations about what it looks like for us going forward and how that impacts us and our family. It’s the right time for us to move into our next chapter,” Lloyd said. “I’m so grateful for what this club has given me. It’s provided me with an environment to not only become a better footballer but more importantly, to become a better person, a better husband and father. It’s given me skills and values that will no doubt help me in the future, relationships that will last a lifetime, and I think what I’m most grateful for are the memories - The ones I’ve created with all of you here and the ones I’ve been able to share with my wife, kids and family. I’ll be forever grateful to the GIANTS and the people that have helped me along the way.”

“My teammates – I'm going to miss you the most. Whether it’s a grueling pre-season or standing in the race before a game or the feeling in the change room after a win or loss, I’m going to miss it all. The bonds and friendships I’ve made with you all will be what I cherish the most. Early in my career I figured out pretty quickly the type of player I wanted to be. It was someone my teammates could trust, a selfless teammate that would always put the team first. I didn’t care if I didn’t get any external credit, all that mattered was that you guys wanted me by your side. I’ve had some time to reflect, and I’d like to think when you leave a footy club, you hope that you’ve left some sort of mark. I hope I’ve been a teammate with all those qualities but also a person that added to the fabric and culture of this great club.”

“Thank you from Crystal, the kids and I for welcoming us into the GIANTS family. It’s been an unforgettable experience.”

GIANTS General Manager of Football, Jason McCartney, said Lloyd epitomises what it means to be a GIANT. “We’re so rapt that ‘Spike’ (Mark McVeigh) believed in you and we’re so rapt that Leon gave you the opportunity because you epitomise what it is to be a GIANTS person,” McCartney said. “You came in late, eight years, you've just got to work. You've mastered your craft and you’ve played an important role. That role-player year after year, which has seen you play finals, which has seen you play a Grand Final. You’ve got the very best out of yourself. You’ve got great family support – the door is always open at this football club for Crystal, Parker, Charli and yourself. You’ve left a really strong, positive mark on everyone. So, thank you for everything you’ve done.”

Lloyd will play out the season and will line up at GIANTS Stadium on Saturday afternoon when the GIANTS take on the Bombers.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Quietly, I'm a little devastated he never made it to 100
Then give a little cheer for Dan ...

It seems reasonable for Daniel Lloyd to have a fair bit running through his mind at the moment.

There is, after all, a fair bit going on in his football world. He's had one of the best seasons of his career at a time when the GIANTS have charged through to a semi-final and catapulted back into the premiership window with immediacy. To top it off, Saturday night's clash with Port Adelaide will also be Lloyd's 100th AFL game. But all of that is occurring with his retirement confirmed at seasons end, be it this week, or after the last Saturday in September.

That poses the question - why has he chosen to call it quits now? "It's definitely crossed my mind, I'd be lying if I said it hadn't, Lloyd told AFL.com.au. "But it's the right time for my family and myself. My kids are getting older now, they're 10 and 8 soon, so we want to get our family settled in an environment where we'll spend the next phase of our lives. The more we prolong that here, it hurts our kids a little more."

The family aspect formed every part of the retirement decision, according to Lloyd, who is adamant it was made before any dialogue with the club about his future was held. "Definitely nothing from the club, I love this place and it'll be tough to leave it once we go as far as we can this year," Lloyd said. "I'll be happy to sit back next year and watch the boys succeed, I'll be more than happy to do that, that's fine."

That love the Central Coast product has for the GIANTS is apparent and it certainly flows both ways, as highlighted by Toby Greene's claim on the day his retirement was announced that they "had to get him to 100 games". Not just for his teammate, but Lloyd's son Parker who seemingly wanted the milestone for Dad, more than anybody. "Parker, he's over the moon. He doesn't voice it too much but I can see it in his eyes that it meant a lot to him," Lloyd said.

Lloyd is emblematic of the GIANTS' approach in attack since Adam Kingsley came on board. High pressure, no fuss, efficient, unselfish football. There are stars in Greene, Jesse Hogan and Brent Daniels but everyone buys into the mantra. Toby Bedford, Xavier O'Halloran, Jake Riccardi, Callum Brown and Lloyd have done so with aplomb all season long and they've all benefited at different stages. "We've got our roles within that forward line. We'e all different in ways and everyone's just happy to do what they need to do. It's really clear what our roles are, there's no grey, we just embrace that," Lloyd said.

Lloyd would like to stay in the game in some form when he makes the move north, but if not, the former carpenter will pick up the tradie tools again and be more than grateful for the journey he's been on. He's forever indebted to Mark McVeigh for plucking him from the obscurity of amateur footy with Killarney Vale in the Black Diamond League and giving him the chance at the top level. "He's absolutely the reason I'm here, he put himself on the line and put my name up," Lloyd said.

With his future now mapped out, he can attack the rest of this finals series with a clear mind.

more in the story

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Dan Lloyd gave the Giants his all during the eight years (2016 to 2023) that he was on our list, since selected as a mature aged rookie-listed player.

I'll admit I shed some tears at this footage. Have a great life with your family Dan, and thanks for the memories in orange.

Footywire profile & career stats - really consistent stats, which is why he kept getting selected. In the end, 101 games for Lloydy!

Dan Lloyd Profile.png

Dan Lloyd Career Stats.png

Back