Player Watch #38 Harry Arnold

Remove this Banner Ad

Arnold is 24-year old, 194cm and 95kg key defender.

Originally from Mackay in Far North Queensland, Arnold came through the Gold Coast Suns Academy and played for Broadbeach before being involved in the Brisbane Lions Academy. He has spent the last two season with the Brisbane VFL side and has had a solid year in the key defender position for the Lions.

"We really liked Harry last year, but he broke his clavicle in the VFL in July and needed surgery so that put an end to his season so we weren't able to continue to assess him. This year however, he has done a pre-season with the Lions and he is physically well equipped for AFL football. His form has been really good and he has been playing on all types. His organisational skills and working with other defenders is impressive, he is a mature guy so he is ready to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome Harry, got an array of fine nickname options!!

Hope you are closer to Craig Bolton than Lewy Taylor from a Lions to Swan journey!!

Great opportunity and hope you can take it!

The new Aliir Aliir.

Lions have some gun defenders so happy iwth this choice if he was next up if Andrews/Starcevic/Payne got injured

Lions have some gun defenders so happy iwth this choice if he was next up if Andrews/Starcevic/Payne got injured

Don't quite follow this - do you mean in the VFL? Obviously he wouldn't have been available for selection to the Lions' senior team. But those guys don't normally play VFL and Arnolds obviously was playing VFL. Perhaps you mean you rate him the Lions' next best tall defender after those in the senior team?

Don't quite follow this - do you mean in the VFL? Obviously he wouldn't have been available for selection to the Lions' senior team. But those guys don't normally play VFL and Arnolds obviously was playing VFL. Perhaps you mean you rate him the Lions' next best tall defender after those in the senior team?

Ah true my bad hahah

From Rookie Me Central (my bolding):

6. Sydney – Harry Arnold (Brisbane Lions VFL)
194cm | Defender | 24yo

Sydney was clearly after key position depth at either end of the ground and identified Arnold as a readymade option out of the Brisbane Lions reserves. The 24-year-old defender is a capable interceptor with good organisational awareness behind the ball, while also being able to take on the opposition’s best forward. He breaks through after being hampered by injury over the last couple of years.

Happy to see Arnold got picked up last night. Saw a little bit of him back in his Broadbeach days while he was in our academy and you knew there was potential but he still had some development to go which it appears Brisbane's VFL team afforded him. Hopefully he gets a chance while your tall defender stocks are a bit depleted.

Fairly sure Arnold is the second ever Mackay player drafted into the AFL after David Armitage in 2006. Believe he's also the second Queenslander on your list after Tom Hickey, if I'm not mistaken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back