Yabby Medal votes: 7 (13th)

Averages

Kicks: 8.6 per game
Handballs: 8.9 per game
Disposals: 17.6 per game
Marks: 2.1 per game
Tackles: 3.9 per game

Milestones

Hawthorn and AFL debut in round 6, 2018 (versus St Kilda)
Ranked ninth among rising stars in total clearances
Ranked second among rising stars in inside 50s per game
Ranked sixth among rising stars in handballs per game
Ranked eighth among rising stars in effective disposals per game
Ranked fifth among rising stars in total centre clearances
Ranked 10th among rising stars in goal assists per game
Ranked seventh among rising stars in disposals per game
Ranked third among rising stars in centre clearances per game
Career high disposals (32) and handballs (20) against Carlton (round 18, 2018)
Career high kicks (15) against St Kilda (round 22, 2018)
Career high tackles (8) against Geelong (round 21, 2018)

Standout

Round 20, 2018 (versus Essendon Bombers): One of the most important kicks of his nascent career put the Hawks 10 points up with 40 seconds to play against the Bombers. Although Colyer pulled a goal back late, it was too little, too late for the Bombers. Worpel out-muscled the bigger Michael Hurley and left the defender on the ground as he strode into an open goal to kick the clincher. This signalled, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that Worpel belongs in the big show.

Shocker

Round 7, 2018 (versus Essendon Bombers): A week after making his debut for Hawthorn against the Saints, Worpel found it difficult to get into the game as the Hawks took care of business against the Bombers by 23 points at the MCG. Worpel recorded only six disposals, no marks and three tackles from 73% time on ground.

Some of my best moments of 2018 came courtesy of this great kid. There is always more opposition awareness of player in his second year, so hopefully he can still build confidence and grow, even with the extra attention and pressure that 2019 will likely bring his way. I think he can.

(those two finals will also do him good, probably more so the Richmond game. I doubt he has experienced anything like that first half against the Tigers when nearly all young players struggled abit with the lack of time for clean possession).

I really think Worpel is going to be integral to our performance this year.

Without the 8 clearaces a game we got from Mitchell last year, we really need another elite extractor to step up. Worpel topped the league for clearances over the JLT, averaging 9 clearances per game. Keep in mind that he did this with an injury in JLT 1 and only playing 60% game time in JLT 2!

This kid is quality. Don’t get me wrong, he will have ups and downs throughout the season as he is still only 20 years old. But he will be a vital cog in our engine room this year. If he can project his JLT performance into the season then this will free up O'Meara enourmously to dominate on the outside, and go a long way to keeping our midfield competitive.

The addition of Sam Mitchell is also going to be huge for Worps and the midfield as a whole. I noticed this little passage of play from the 2nd quarter of JLT 2 that gives us some insight into how S.Mitch will help our midfield strategy. Watch Worps on the left as he slowly backs away from Prestia, knowing full well that Isaac Smith is running through to lead Prestia into congestion as a dummy. Worps then holds back in the space created and waits for Cegs to tap the ball straight to him in space. He collects the ball and shoots it inside 50, which eventually results in a Roughead goal. Brilliant!

I'm really excited to see our young midfield grow under the guidance of Sam Mitchell this year, I think Worpel and Cousins will both rise to the occasion. JOM, Worps, Howe and Shiels are also very tough, unsociable footballers so I can't wait to see them rough up some opposition midfields. Many (including me) are placing a lot of faith in Worpel this year, but I'm confident he will shoulder the added responsibility with class.

Without the 8 clearaces a game we got from Mitchell last year, we really need another elite extractor to step up. Worpel topped the league for clearances over the JLT, averaging 9 clearances per game. Keep in mind that he did this with an injury in JLT 1 and only playing 60% game time in JLT 2!

This kid is quality. Don’t get me wrong, he will have ups and downs throughout the season as he is still only 20 years old. But he will be a vital cog in our engine room this year. If he can project his JLT performance into the season then this will free up O'Meara enourmously to dominate on the outside, and go a long way to keeping our midfield competitive.

The addition of Sam Mitchell is also going to be huge for Worps and the midfield as a whole. I noticed this little passage of play from the 2nd quarter of JLT 2 that gives us some insight into how S.Mitch will help our midfield strategy. Watch Worps on the left as he slowly backs away from Prestia, knowing full well that Isaac Smith is running through to lead Prestia into congestion as a dummy. Worps then holds back in the space created and waits for Cegs to tap the ball straight to him in space. He collects the ball and shoots it inside 50, which eventually results in a Roughead goal. Brilliant!

I'm really excited to see our young midfield grow under the guidance of Sam Mitchell this year, I think Worpel and Cousins will both rise to the occasion. JOM, Worps, Howe and Shiels are also very tough, unsociable footballers so I can't wait to see them rough up some opposition midfields. Many (including me) are placing a lot of faith in Worpel this year, but I'm confident he will shoulder the added responsibility with class.

Hopefully Mitch can have an influence on his kicking and decision making too. That kick was classic 20yr old Sam Mitchell. Now if he can adobt a 28yr old Sam Mitchell kick he will take a huge leap forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back