Delisted #38: Jarrod Atkinson

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 38. Jarrod Atkinson

I still have nightmares about that quarter Sean.

Most players have the instinct to get rid of the bloody thing when they're about to be tackled. Often, you simply can't and you concede a free kick. But to see Atkinson do it at least 3-4 times suggests that there's a serious flaw in his football instincts. It's the sort of thing you learn when you're 5, not 25.

His awareness is a little average I must admit.

But what he does lack in awareness, he makes up with speed & persistence. As long as he tries, which he has been; I'll be a happy man. Nothing better than seeing a player take the game on and succeed, and he certainly did that a few times last season. Can only improve, age means little IMO in this instance. Confidence is still on the up.

age means little IMO in this instance.

I disagree. With such fundamental deficiencies in his game, how old will he be once (if) he irons them out? 29? 30?

With such fundamental deficiencies in his game, how old will he be once (if) he irons them out? 29? 30?

Fundamental deficiencies? His kicking, handpassing and marking skills are all fine. It's purely a mental battle for Jarrod, just needs a few more games under his belt to boost the confidence. With his speed & skill, I'd be extremely confident. Even on the training track he doesn't look overly confident, where even most of the shittest footballers going around; look confident. Just needs to believe in his ability, and keep taking those forwards/mids on!

*All IMO of course.

Fundamental deficiencies? His kicking, handpassing and marking skills are all fine. It's purely a mental battle for Jarrod, just needs a few more games under his belt to boost the confidence. With his speed & skill, I'd be extremely confident. Even on the training track he doesn't look overly confident, where even most of the shittest footballers going around; look confident. Just needs to believe in his ability, and keep taking those forwards/mids on!

*All IMO of course.

I reckon with confidence & opportunity this kid can climb to the great heights. Will be an interesting year is Knighta gives him ago. I reckon he will be fine.

The Bomber faithful need a guy to scape goat & thats what he is rapidly becoming.

Seems like many people are blind to his talent, but quick to jump on his mistakes - whilst the mistakes of others go unnoticed. What do we call this... Slattery Syndrome?

The Bomber faithful need a guy to scape goat & thats what he is rapidly becoming.

Seems like many people are blind to his talent, but quick to jump on his mistakes - whilst the mistakes of others go unnoticed. What do we call this... Slattery Syndrome?

I'm probably his biggest critic, but I acknowledge that he has skills and pace. He needs to get a football brain, and then he'd be a superstar. I just doubt whether he has enough time.

I'm probably his biggest critic, but I acknowledge that he has skills and pace. He needs to get a football brain, and then he'd be a superstar. I just doubt whether he has enough time.

Geez your being abit rough gooner. . . . . Firstly i'm happy you played aus kick, but somewhere between aus kick and the AFL you learn about a little thing call a game plan. Make a mistake once or twice then yes you probably need to have a look at what yourself. But do it 3 or 4 times and it'd say your just trying to follow orders.
If we're basing Atko's potential or his standing as a player on one game we probably need to slow up a bit. Adalaide did there homework and applied it perfectly. The team was out coached and as a result we were out played.
But it's in the past now, and i think the team will be stronger because of it.

Geez your being abit rough gooner. . . . . Firstly i'm happy you played aus kick, but somewhere between aus kick and the AFL you learn about a little thing call a game plan. Make a mistake once or twice then yes you probably need to have a look at what yourself. But do it 3 or 4 times and it'd say your just trying to follow orders.
If we're basing Atko's potential or his standing as a player on one game we probably need to slow up a bit. Adalaide did there homework and applied it perfectly. The team was out coached and as a result we were out played.
But it's in the past now, and i think the team will be stronger because of it.

I appreciate that he has a gameplan to contend with, but disposing of the ball when tackled after a 20-30m run is so fundamental that it makes me wonder what he does instinctively know. Also, as DaSawx said, it was more than one game.

Shouldn't be on our list IMO.

Just because you are fast and do some flashy stuff does not equate to being a good player, but unfortunately thats all most supporters ever notice.

As a back pocket Slattery is infinitely better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very, very harsh. That's all I can say; I've said enough I think.

Why is it harsh?

He virtually spent the entire year in the magoos, even whilst we had players injured and IIRC he even spent some time at Bendigo's 2nds.

Yeah he's got some nice attributes - namely pace, but thats pretty much where it ends.

He's got limited awareness, and limited composure under pressure. Watch his "attempt" to spoil Reiwoldt in the dying seconds of the Ess v Saints game (R20). Attempt is being extremely generous.

For the answer, read the two posts before my last (post #105 mainly).

Can't be bothered going over it again.

In other words, you know you are wrong.

"But what he does lack in awareness, he makes up with speed & persistence."

I'll give you persistence, because he tried the same thing 4 times in a quarter, but if he had enough speed to make up for his lack of awareness, he wouldn't have been run down 4 times in a quarter.

Shouldn't be on our list IMO.

Just because you are fast and do some flashy stuff does not equate to being a good player, but unfortunately thats all most supporters ever notice.

As a back pocket Slattery is infinitely better.

You were going well until that in bold. Slattery never beats his opponent. He's one of those unsung heroes for being an unsung hero.

One of the worst players in the AFL, I liken him very much to Nicoski at West Coast, dud of the highest order.

You were going well until that in bold. Slattery never beats his opponent. He's one of those unsung heroes for being an unsung hero.

One of the worst players in the AFL, I liken him very much to Nicoski at West Coast, dud of the highest order.

Donners, my views are also reciprocated by the Essendon coaching staff.

You can bury your head in the sand all you like and say that Slatts is a poor player but the coaches don't hand out top ten B'n'F finishes in cereal boxes, take the tip - everyone important at Essendon rates him highly.

Like I said earlier, stop only watching the flashy stuff that the Lovetts and Winderlichs do, how about you start watching how many times Slatts leaves his man to cover other defenders, or how he never seems to get flustered, even under extreme pressure.

If Slattery is one of the worst players in the AFL then Atkinson is a local league footballer at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back