Past #38: Josh Gibson - officially traded to Hawthorn for picks 25 & 41 in the 2009 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

With the amount of time effort money and development we put into Gibson, just for hawthorn to benefit, I'd say hawthorn ahead atm. Especially if he helps them win a flag.

But I can see black becoming one of my favourite players.

But future "what's ifs" are a different currency to actual deliverables.

That being said, I'm happy with the trade and in another 3 years hopefully the "what ifs" have proved us to e clear winners.

I was worried that a second round pick would harm our chances of finding a good prospect, because from 2000-2005ish second round picks were very much hit or miss as the talent didn't seem to run deep, but in the later half of the last decade and into this decade with the benefit of hindsight the talent has run a lot deeper. It is why I am surprised clubs turn their nose up at second round picks or doll them out for mediocre players.

Even if Kennedy doesn't make it, Black for Gibson is a great trade. What is going to be even funnier is that Port turned their nose up at pick 37 for Jacobs and we picked up Wood with 41. I think he is going to be a real jet in a year or two, he has much of Black's qualities.

The same year Saints turned their nose up at 30 they could have taken guys like Vardy or Christensen, or MacMillan, Stratton, etc. We are just thankful we don't have stupid recruiters/list managers at our club and glad we didn't get sucked in paying overs on Caddy which we would have in the Laidley era.

Collingwood were trying to give us pick 30 plus a player for 25 because they wanted to get Ball and Saints weren't budging on 30. But, we knew there was quality that was going to slide and 25 would result in a good quality option. Thank god for our recruiters.

St kilda pulled out not us or time ran out.... it was actually a reasonable trade..wellingham and pick 30 for pick 25... you would take that everyday out the week.... its just pick 25 ended up being black and now we are heppy we didnt take it but it was still a good trade for us had it happened...

St kilda pulled out not us or time ran out.... it was actually a reasonable trade..wellingham and pick 30 for pick 25... you would take that everyday out the week.... its just pick 25 ended up being black and now we are heppy we didnt take it but it was still a good trade for us had it happened...

That is incorrect.

"The Magpies last night were pessimistic of their prospects of trading for Ball. They had believed they could obtain pick 25 from North Melbourne by trading Sharrod Wellingham to the Roos, along with pick No. 30, and hoped to pass that pick 25 on to the Saints, who could either keep it, or use it to acquire Andrejs Everitt from the Bulldogs."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/pies-hopes-of-snaring-ball-fade/2009/10/08/1254701108667.html

I recall an interview, not sure if I am mistaken or not, but remember someone at North talking about that draft and they said after they went through the players and who they thought the various clubs would go for the worth of that pick skyrocketed in their reckoning, to the point that there was going to be a massive difference between the calibre of player they could get at 25 and 30.

When you look at the players that wend 20-25:
Fyfe (freo)
Bastinac (us!)
Weedon, Stevens (lol wce)
Carlisle (ess)
Black (us!)

Would have to say the club was bang on in terms of their high value of 25.

Picks 31-36: (Ball was 30)
Tutt (footscray)
Winmar (saints)
Long (ess)
Gawn (melb)
Astbury (rich)
Houghton (freo)

There was a huge difference in the type of players available in that vicinity.

Can someone tell me what a bell end is to a mid 40's un street wise man?

Exhibit A:

A9_BFxpCMAEU1eu.jpg

I was worried that a second round pick would harm our chances of finding a good prospect, because from 2000-2005ish second round picks were very much hit or miss as the talent didn't seem to run deep, but in the later half of the last decade and into this decade with the benefit of hindsight the talent has run a lot deeper. It is why I am surprised clubs turn their nose up at second round picks or doll them out for mediocre players.

Even if Kennedy doesn't make it, Black for Gibson is a great trade. What is going to be even funnier is that Port turned their nose up at pick 37 for Jacobs and we picked up Wood with 41. I think he is going to be a real jet in a year or two, he has much of Black's qualities.

The same year Saints turned their nose up at 30 they could have taken guys like Vardy or Christensen, or MacMillan, Stratton, etc. We are just thankful we don't have stupid recruiters/list managers at our club and glad we didn't get sucked in paying overs on Caddy which we would have in the Laidley era.

Collingwood were trying to give us pick 30 plus a player for 25 because they wanted to get Ball and Saints weren't budging on 30. But, we knew there was quality that was going to slide and 25 would result in a good quality option. Thank god for our recruiters.

Odd post. Almost none of this is proven and we've made as many trading and recruiting blunders as anyone.

Odd post. Almost none of this is proven and we've made as many trading and recruiting blunders as anyone.

What blunders have our current recruiters made? When you look at picks in the second and third round there is a lot of quality there, most AFL grade KPPs are often taken in this vicinity. Goldy was a 3rd round pick. Thompson was a second or third round pick, Black second round then look at other clubs, Carlisle second round, Tippett second round. These guys are a lot more valuable now than where they were taken yet often a spud will be exchanged for a pick in this area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back