Moved Thread #1: Majak Daw -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_nckaohiRTM1smmsbuo4_1280.gif

Show me Maj.

What you wanting to see, would be interested?

I don't want or expect him to kick 6 (although it would be nice). I would be more impressed if he's able to use his natural attributes to bring others into the play and create opportunities. That would show growth and maturity far above his "show reel".
It's entirely in his hands now.

Mate just by being on the ground he meets your base criteria as he will a/ give goldy a chop out and b/ BBB will not have to tuck (which he should never do) so that frees up at least two players right there

Really loved his game on the weekend for Weribee.

Showed a real intensity and willingness to pressure when the ball was in dispute, and ended up with 6 tackles which is huge for a key position forward.

We have seen glimpses when he has been in the seniors, but this was a sustained throughout the whole day.

Looked like a bloke whom was tired of playing in the VFL and wanted to make damned sure he put his name up for selection this week. So glad he has gotten reward for his efforts.

Bring the heat on Saturday Maj!

Mate just by being on the ground he meets your base criteria as he will a/ give goldy a chop out and b/ BBB will not have to tuck (which he should never do) so that frees up at least two players right there
He still needs to be competitive in his positions though danj

Who knows about 3 years down the track but I'm very confident he makes us a better side right now and we should use that. If he can stay uninjured - that's what he needs more than anything.

Can't wait to see Maj out there smashing bodies, taking screamers, and kicking goals. Due to his late start in footy, is a 'young' 26 year old (in terms of experience), and still has the potential to be our most important player. Hope he becomes our Corey Mckernan on steroids.

Can't wait to see Maj out there smashing bodies, taking screamers, and kicking goals. Due to his late start in footy, is a 'young' 26 year old (in terms of experience), and still has the potential to be our most important player. Hope he becomes our Corey Mckernan on steroids.
Yeah!

Would love to see Maj get a run.

Looked like a bloke whom was tired of playing in the VFL and wanted to make damned sure he put his name up for selection this week. So glad he has gotten reward for his efforts.

Bring the heat on Saturday Maj!

I agree.

He's always come across as pretty easy going and a bit of a joker. He even joked about his mark of the year last year. Which is endearing. And understandable. Why wouldn't you be like that if you are in his position after starting life in war torn Sudan? But in one interview I've seen and in the game highlights since that Geelong game that he has actually played, he hasn't seemed that happy go lucky any more. He's seemed more angry and intense and even more focused. The way he attacked things on the weekend seemed alot more intent. Like he wanted to start hurting players and dominating the game.

To me that was what would matter. He may never be the most natural footy player But he has the size and athleticism to make a huge difference and he seems to be learning and becoming more aware of what he needs to do.

I hope he puts it together. If he can bring some physical presence and take some contested marks on the weekend we'll be so much better for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heh McKernan on steroids...i like that one

He's got his chance now it's in his hands.

I'm definitely in the half-full camp with Majak. The bloke has all the requisite skills in isolation - terrific mark, underrated kick, deft taps, strong tackler, clever ruckwork.

His endurance can be an issue - which means he fits right in with our midfield.

And then there's the footy smarts meme. Again, let's work our way through the entire list then assessing everyone on that one if we must..

His figurative heart looks like it's really come on. That's hopefully the missing piece.

There's enough there. We've seen it in glimpses. Let's see the talent, athleticism, heart and versatility all on show now.

If it clicks, it transforms the side. Mids have a new get out option. Opponents in his vicinity have someone to s**t themselves about. And we have an x-factor chess piece to use in the middle or up forward as we choose.

If it clicks, it transforms the side. Mids have a new get out option. Opponents in his vicinity have someone to s**t themselves about. And we have an x-factor chess piece to use in the middle or up forward as we choose.

I think this is the main thing. No tall player in our forward line would make you think carefully about where you stand.

Waite - Injuries and form have ruined his year.
Brown - Doesn't have that kind of attitude, more of a Petrie style of player.
Wood - I defer to Phillyroo, suffice to say no. Lol.

Majak is a player that demands attention. Will hurt guys if they try to drop in front and can take the ridiculous mark on someones head or run them down. I think he's perfect for our team at the moment.

The next 10 weeks are the most important of his career.

No more flirtation. He MUST make a lasting impression.
He seems to be judged differently to other players, some with a lot less natural ability.

I reckon if he doesn't absolutely kill it this week, he'll be straight back to the magoos again.

A player with great natural gifts is our Maj, but he is a guy that doesn't fit into Brad Scotts' regimented structure and as such he just has no idea whatsoever how best to utilise him.

My tip is they will continue with him forward and pinch hitting in the ruck as per usual.

Personally, I'd have him running straight off either flank, somewhere around chf or chb with instruction to run flat out straight at the contest and have blokes pinging around like pinballs.

Anyway, I hope he has a blinder. He's gonna need it.

Personally, I'd have him running straight off either flank, somewhere around chf or chb with instruction to run flat out straight at the contest and have blokes pinging around like pinballs.

You're not far off me. I'd happily have him playing mid time as you suggest, in fact I think some of his best performances have been in that style of role. He's no slower or less agile than half our starting mids.

I think we all need to keep in mind that he's had no preseason and has only been able to start regular training again in the last week or so, so its quite likely his endurance won't allow him to run the game out at first. That'll come with a bit of continuity at the level, so we absolutely have to persist with him for at least a month and I am certain he will grab his opportunity with both hands.

He seems to be judged differently to other players, some with a lot less natural ability.

I reckon if he doesn't absolutely kill it this week, he'll be straight back to the magoos again.

A player with great natural gifts is our Maj, but he is a guy that doesn't fit into Brad Scotts' regimented structure and as such he just has no idea whatsoever how best to utilise him.

My tip is they will continue with him forward and pinch hitting in the ruck as per usual.

If we were in the 90's, where blokes could just see ball, get ball, kick goal, then Majak would be a star.

I think he does have the potential to play the ruck/forward role, but the clock is ticking.

He doesn't have the greatest footy smarts and that's understandable. I must have watched Majak play 30 times and he always seems to be a player that has a series of cameos in a match, rather than a consistent output.

You're not far off me. I'd happily have him playing mid time as you suggest, in fact I think some of his best performances have been in that style of role. He's no slower or less agile than half our starting mids.
He's not a natural position footballer, imo and is never going to have the smarts to be a chf or ff type.

He's a bloke you keep it nice and simple to.

"See that red thing Maj? Now go and get it."

He's a cannon. Use him like one.

Sure he'll make the brain fades, have you going "wtf" at times. He'll also do some amazing s**t, create unpredictability and will make us so much harder to coach against.

He's the enigma, but when he's on he's pretty much unstoppable.

He's not a natural position footballer, imo and is never going to have the smarts to be a chf or ff type.

He's a bloke you keep it nice and simple to.

"See that red thing Maj? Now go and get it."

Agree with this but always like to temper this point regarding Majak too.

People seem to subconsciously compare him to very good players like Petrie or god forbid - Carey.

For balance compare him to Aaron Black or Tyrone Vickery. Blokes who had a reasonable number of football miles (albeit Black was distracted with basketball). His positioning and impact on games isn't particularly any worse than them. Hell right now some would query golden child Mason Wood's ability to stay involved in an entire game.

In a nutshell Daw has average key position player smarts but elite key position player physical qualities and ability to impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back