Moved Thread #1: Majak Daw -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with this but always like to temper this point regarding Majak too.

People seem to subconsciously compare him to very good players like Petrie or god forbid - Carey.

For balance compare him to Aaron Black or Tyrone Vickery. Blokes who had a reasonable number of football miles (albeit Black was distracted with basketball). His positioning and impact on games isn't particularly any worse than them. Hell right now some would query golden child Mason Wood's ability to stay involved in an entire game.

In a nutshell Daw has average key position player smarts but elite key position player physical qualities and ability to impact.
Agreed.

He seems to be judged differently to other players, some with a lot less natural ability.

Apropos chrissy's post "something to offer going into the rest of the season and into the future."

Fair enough and am sure we all feel the same, although should he not be great I wonder what peoples thoughts would be around him not having played at this level for nearly 3 months?

He does need a few games on the trot, which really wouldn't be dissimilar for any AFL footballer.

In saying all that- I think he will be ok and give our fwd line a bit of mongrel and offer a marking target around the ground- which we are currently lacking.

Think though we collectively are a bit tall .

In a nutshell Daw has average key position player smarts but elite key position player physical qualities and ability to impact.

I think not unfair and personally I can live with that. I've certainly seen players with similar or worse footy smarts get plenty of games - and they didn't have his attributes.

The key for me is that his physicality - particularly his ability to accelerate such a large mass quickly - means he can hurt players. Both in game terms and in pure physical ones. I think that ability can make him a disruption in games to opposition. We need to learn how to use his attributes. You need structure in teams but you can wear a guy that does the odd strange thing if he also makes the opposition have to completely plan around him.

Fair enough... although should he not be great I wonder what peoples thoughts would be around him not having played at this level for nearly 3 months? He does need a few games on the trot, which really wouldn't be dissimilar for any AFL footballer.
I think we all need to keep in mind that he's had no preseason and has only been able to start regular training again in the last week or so, so its quite likely his endurance won't allow him to run the game out at first. That'll come with a bit of continuity at the level, so we absolutely have to persist with him for at least a month and I am certain he will grab his opportunity with both hands.
Fair points. I won't be judging him on one game, unless he particularly stunk it up, but more over a few.

He seems to be judged differently to other players, some with a lot less natural ability.

He is a different kind of player, so that may be part of the reason? For me, while I may need to be more forgiving, as Brad is, of his injury and training challenges, but it's the sense that while his peaks are good, they are too infrequent, and his lows more frequent and ordinary. I'd like to think I'd be judging anyone with this lengthy track record accordingly.

There's enough there. We've seen it in glimpses. Let's see the talent, athleticism, heart and versatility all on show now.
Sure he'll make the brain fades, have you going "wtf" at times. He'll also do some amazing s**t, create unpredictability and will make us so much harder to coach against.

He's the enigma, but when he's on he's pretty much unstoppable.
To answer your initial query, naturally north, I'd be looking for more consistency. Less gap between the highs and lows and, indeed, I'd be more than happy to see less highs for the sake of less lows. For me, 'more glimpses' means less lows or disappearing. I'd be hoping to see a more even, confident and reliable performance, such as the one he showed in Adelaide, even without the four goals. A couple of goals a game would be fine, and working to structures and using his body in such a way that it makes life easier for others.

How can anyone judge the true value of this bloke after a ridiculously low games tally segmented by too many short stints in the Seniors? Based on exposed form in his only game this year and the last part of last year - he is a Senior player. Time to stop stuffing around with him and let him play. I reckon Petrie took at least 50 games before he became a consistent and reliable player - and he was given the opportunity to develop by continuously playing in the Seniors. How many other players on our list were dependable, guaranteed best 22 after only 26 games? It's completely unfair how some people treat him - especially given he has shown us plenty of glimpses of something that could be great. Go get 'em Maj!

Ok just saw the result am on the Murray river, how did he go?Judging by the stats he didn't get a lot of ball. Was his pressure good?

Biggest asset was that the opposition are scared of his impact. The rest will come.

Having said that, a couple of strong marks, 2 goals and was massive in the centre square when tucking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely we will now play the Preuss/Daw combo - Preuss to ruck 60% - Daw 40%? both spend time forwards?

It just has to happen. Majak helped turn the game our way with his presence in the middle.

Majak's x factor is clear to see - doesn't always work for him but you can see the uncertainty in the defenders eyes. Needs to keep playing.

Biggest asset was that the opposition are scared of his impact. The rest will come.

Having said that, a couple of strong marks, 2 goals and was massive in the centre square when tucking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
and reading bedtime stories? I agree with you - I reckon he held his spot. Great intent.

Intent is what I wanted to hear, first senior game in near 3 months. I hope as we are now second last he gets a gig every week

I reckon he can make it
Jury is still out NN as to whether Majak will 'make it' - but he just needs 10 games now in a row so at the end of the year we are more clear as to where he is at. Good signs tonite given it was the first game back for many months:thumbsu:

Intent is what I wanted to hear, first senior game in near 3 months. I hope as we are now second last he gets a gig every week

I reckon he can make it

He wasn't that bad all game, had a shocker in terms of unlucky bounces and frees that were being payed up the other end, but still seemed to try all game and crashed packs etc to our advantage. Then in the last when it was there to be won he did stand up on the forward line. The goal he kicked from the boundary was a ripper under pressure and he followed up at the very next entry with a massive pack crashing contest that got the ball to Cunners for another goal.

I think.

Its very hard to watch the AFL app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back