Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2014
Registered Office of NMFC Supporters of WA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Melville City HC, Chicago White Sox
It's a selection conundrum right? Particularly for a selection committee that never makes brazen selections. The call for Maj does not justify a brazen selection.
Maj plays best as a forward with rotations in the ruck.
He's lost as a forward only.
With preuss in the team it's impossible to select Maj ahead of preuss or goldy.
What position do you play Maj?
A forward only? Are we then too tall?
Don't get me wrong I like seeing the big fella play

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Yeah it's a total dilemma.

I still have visions of the day (turning into season) where Maj "breaks out" into this unique, unstoppable, dominating player in some kind of new ruck-roving-with-dashes-forward-to-score-lots-of-goals role.

Will it happen some time soon? After Maj gets a decent, injury-free, uninterrupted, etc etc stint in the senior side?? When the "team balance" allows it to happen?!? Buggered if I know.

Long Live the King

Premiership Player
Feb 24, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's a selection conundrum right? Particularly for a selection committee that never makes brazen selections. The call for Maj does not justify a brazen selection.

Yep.......assuming / hoping there is no intention of offloading Preuss, and Maj's currency is more speculative then you would suggest we are potentially positioning ourselves to trade Goldy who still has value in the market. Should be interesting to watch how North manages this.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Yep.......assuming / hoping there is no intention of offloading Preuss, and Maj's currency is more speculative then you would suggest we are potentially positioning ourselves to trade Goldy who still has value in the market. Should be interesting to watch how North manages this.
If we are positioning ourselves to trade Goldy then we can't drop him. We can't take that hit to his trade value.

It comes down to Maj or Preuss.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Long Live the King

Premiership Player
Feb 24, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we are positioning ourselves to trade Goldy then we can't drop him. We can't take that hit to his trade value.

It comes down to Maj or Preuss.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Goldy will play and play well. Its in the clubs and his interest. Maj and Preuss will be our rucking combo for years to come.

I agree .. I can't see how he would get picked and who be omitted to make way for him

What's got me buggered is how come we could continually pick out of form players (any season under Brad) yet leave in form guys in the magoos. Given what each brings to the table I think Daw over Pruess. In terms of 'earning a spot' Daw has patiently waited 6+ years and slowly but surely improved, don't understand why Pruess can't make way for Daw, I seriously doubt he will have to wait as long for a permanent gig if he did. Another strategic way of making the most of this situation could be to utilise Goldy and Pruess on a rotating basis so for example leave one at home during interstate trips, give one or the other a couple of weeks rest here or there. This would result in less likelihood of injury and both will be cherry ripe later in the season and for finals if we make it :thumbsu:

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
the club is gonna burn Majak for another year. poor guy keeps copping it. his last 2 games he has showed he is getting it and needs constant footy to gain more understanding. Preuss as much as i like him does not offer as much as majak as the fwd/ ruck as he is not mobile enough and even if he plays main ruck with goldy being the fwd/ ruck that still doest compare to majak. unfortunately we know the clubs a joke with its decision making so they will continue to stuff things up at the selection table

discomute

All Australian
Aug 20, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Australian Boomers
To me Daw provides a pressure inside 50 that Pruess cannot

There has to be room for all of them in a side... can someone learn to play on the Wing like the way Richo ended his career?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Majak is currently our 3rd best ruckman and our 3rd best tall forward.

Its up to him to grab the key forward post that will be vacated by Waite, before McKay, Durdin or Larkey snatch it off him.

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas

Its up to him to grab the key forward post that will be vacated by Waite, before McKay, Durdin or Larkey snatch it off him.

This is where the problem is atm due to the fact that they're playing Preuss as the 2nd tall fwd.last season we played majak petrie and brown as a 3 tall fwd line, moving fwd the only change to that group should be wood coming in for petrie giving us a more mobile fwd line with more space for majak aswell. we saw vs geelong he played better with only him and brown there, so if you add wood into that he provides that extra markign support without crowding the area. Preuss played last week vs doggies as the fwd/ ruck. although he didnt have a bad game he didnt kick a goal. The game before vs GWS he played mainly ruck with goldy fwd, he played better in the ruck.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Honestly he would have faired better by seeking a trade at the end of last season. I think the coaching and lack of consistent/extended oppurtunities (at least 10-12 games in a row) will not allow him to reach his potential.

Mejekdraw

Senior List
Aug 21, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea
Why did we re-sign him if he doesn't play with an injured Wood and Waite?

Waste of both our time and resources.
When he comes back in he will take his opportunity.

He got injured against Geelong which Browny step on his ankle but he kept playing on. Which in hindsight he probably shouldn't have as he pulled up extra sore.
But shows us as supporters his improved mental game as he willed himself through the game!

He is still experiencing minor pain. He was played in the ruck for certain periods in the VFL to see how it would hold up as he didn't have much of an issue during the week. Pulled up well. They are being extra cautious.

Maj has put in a lot of work into the club helping create a lot of good initiatives and spending time giving back to our community.

As I've said all along he is looking to repay the faith given to him by the club he loves!

Mejekdraw

Senior List
Aug 21, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea
Honestly he would have faired better by seeking a trade at the end of last season. I think the coaching and lack of consistent/extended oppurtunities (at least 10-12 games in a row) will not allow him to reach his potential.
Dogs were keen to trade for him but couldn't offer enough as they wanted to keep their first and second pick as they wanted to use it on a ruckman and mid size forward. Also Cloke thrown into the mix changed things, it will work out for the better for us in the long run anyway

Preuss needs a rest IMHO

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think he needs another week at Werribee and then come in cherry ripe the following week if his form warrants it, he has three years to prove his worth no point in playing him under 95% fitness, he is still a rookie in games played and needs confidence to build his game, you don't grow confidence playing injured or not in form.

Once he comes in he needs a solid run of games.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond

Yeh its how I read it too.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Preuss and Goldstein both contribute in different ways but there needs to be a 2nd dedicated tall forward besides Brown, one who can lead at the ball and create spills. That's Majak's for the taking once he's fit.

I figure its very likely to be Waites last season and Mckay & Larkey will both need another 12 to 18 months of development so Majak should have the remainder of this and next season to nail a spot. If he is good enough then he will make it. Injuries aside, its all on him.

discomute

All Australian
Aug 20, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Australian Boomers

It's easier than it seems, as he only needs to be a better forward than Pruess or Goldy. We don't need 2 awesome ruckmen if there is a decent ruckman waiting who is a better forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back