Moved Thread #1: Majak Daw -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one saw the emergence of Preuss to be honest.

I sort of expected it, maybe not this quickly but definitely this year.

And my only exposure to Preuss was reading about him on this board. I didn't know about him via any other sauce. There were definitely Werribee watchers who had big raps on him.

No way i would have even heard of him without BF tho.

Maj needs to be playing this weekend no excuses from Scott I want to see him out there if he is fit he plays, imagine how he must feel with Breust getting games before him, the poor bloke been around for years and is hardly ever given opportunity and consistency we will lose him this year if this f***ing bloke doesn't give him a go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maj needs to be playing this weekend no excuses from Scott I want to see him out there if he is fit he plays, imagine how he must feel with Breust getting games before him, the poor bloke been around for years and is hardly ever given opportunity and consistency we will lose him this year if this f***ing bloke doesn't give him a go.

Cant see Breust getting a game for us this week.

In that interview with Scott this morning:

"What about Majak Daw"

"What about him"

Then names draft picks as potentially playing in front of him. He definitely doesn't rate him.
Uh hu.

Reckon he would rather Larkey get a gig first.

"What about Majak Daw"

"What about him"

Then names draft picks as potentially playing in front of him. He definitely doesn't rate him.

Yup.

Curious as to how Maj got a 3 year deal at the end of last year. You'd have to think Scott voted nay on that one and got overruled.

Yup.

Curious as to how Maj got a 3 year deal at the end of last year. You'd have to think Scott voted nay on that one and got overruled.

Cos they know he is capable of turning it on but don't want him to for anyone else?

I'm loving the PPPRRREEUUUSSS name loud and clear on tv when he has the ball.....love it. My fellow wife Roos supporter thought we were booing him, until I let her know what's happening....Awesome!

I'm loving the PPPRRREEUUUSSS name loud and clear on tv when he has the ball.....love it. My fellow wife Roos supporter thought we were booing him, until I let her know what's happening....Awesome!
My young bloke loves it too.

Can hear it easily now through the ground Mic's.

Now for our Perth supporters to follow suit (if he plays).

"What about Majak Daw"

"What about him"

My (wishful) take on this - Maj is playing and Scott is using his amazing poker skills to distract from that fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad has never rated daw and he is too stubborn to change that lol Imo he will only play as a depth no matter his vfl form

If I'm to put a semi positive spin on it, I hope the situation is that Maj has been told that the days of him picking up less than a dozen possessions, taking a handful of marks, kicking a goal or two and generally being blah (whether at AFL or VFL level) are over and that until and unless he starts producing some performances in the twos more akin to the Adelaide final, then he'll be staying in the twos.

His pre-season and early season form have all the hallmarks of a guy who just got himself a shiny new 3 year deal and is feeling a little comfy. If that's right, I hope what the club and coach are doing is disabusing him of this idea.

Anyone who follows him on instagram would be thinking WTF right about now!

If I'm to put a semi positive spin on it, I hope the situation is that Maj has been told that the days of him picking up less than a dozen possessions, taking a handful of marks, kicking a goal or two and generally being blah (whether at AFL or VFL level) are over and that until and unless he starts producing some performances in the twos more akin to the Adelaide final, then he'll be staying in the twos.

His pre-season and early season form have all the hallmarks of a guy who just got himself a shiny new 3 year deal and is feeling a little comfy. If that's right, I hope what the club and coach are doing is disabusing him of this idea.
???

He was injured in the pre-season, came back into the AFL side, had an excellent game, then got concussed at training meaning he missed the next game. He then produced what was reported as being an average game at VFL level. If he was that bad then why did he get a recall for the Geelong game?

Edit: Also, I know you've posited a hypothetical situation, but if true, why don't those same standards apply to other players like Swallow, Atley, Thomas and Thompson? All of whom haven't been good so far this season.

Fa
???

He was injured in the pre-season, came back into the AFL side, had an excellent game, then got concussed at training meaning he missed the next game. He then produced what was reported as being an average game at VFL level. If he was that bad then why did he get a recall for the Geelong game?

Edit: Also, I know you've posited a hypothetical situation, but if true, why don't those same standards apply to other players like Swallow, Atley, Thomas and Thompson? All of whom haven't been good so far this season.
Agree.

Facts:
Maj has played probably the best 2 games of his career in his last 2 senior games.
1 in a final when barely a player fired a shot.
2 in a high intensity H&A game where he played very consistent smart football.
He has just been signed on a 3 year contract. I'd be furious if we did that with no real intention on finding out if he has what it takes. We have carried players that were having no positive impact at times... seems incredibly stupid to me.

seems incredibly stupid
Incredibly stupid to be leaving him out. If we are not contending, then for goodness sakes try out the guys who will be there when the time comes and take a few risks by trying them in different roles or positions. Not just Maj, all of the young blokes. If y'all gonna tank, then do it with purpose.

???

Very much a hypothetical. Hear me out on this.

I didn't like his JLT campaign. Yes he was coming back from injury, which explains his game time being limited but doesn't explain the lack of urgency and intensity. I was unimpressed. He only got the Geelong game cos Goldy was injured, and was good. I reckon excellent is a stretch. Was impressed with how he played hurt though. Unlucky not to go down to Hobart. Puts in an average follow up in the VFL, which I found really disappointing. That's his 2017 to date in a nutshell. Feel free to quibble with the details if you want.

But the point is, all of that merely justifies why he should be "considered" for selection, but not necessarily selected. It means he is presently on the fringes of the best 22 (again) and we can argue up hill and down dale the pros and cons of him playing AFL or VFL this week or next week or whatever. It's a continuing theme and has been going on for years.

What I want to know is - does Maj really have another gear. Once upon a time he destroyed the Dogs in his 4th or 5th match - is that a fluke or is it what he is genuinely capable of on a reasonably regular basis? And what have we done to find out? I get that we've invested years into teaching him the nuances of AFL level football (for which he has shown Vickery like levels of comprehension), but now at 25 years of age and 8 years in the system, with a 3 year contract ahead of him - if he's ever going to bring his "A" game, which we've glimpsed but not seen a lot of, now is the time I would have thought.

One thing I have never liked about Maj is that his VFL performances have rarely risen above "good". Once upon a time he nearly won a VFL prelim final against Geelong off his own boot, but again that seems now about as long ago as the Dogs match. Beyond that he has been "good". "Good" is not what I look for in AFL listed players who genuinely want to playing AFL. To draw some rough comparisons, Clarke went 27 and 4 on the weekend. EVW had 31 in defence. When Cunners got dropped to the 2's, he responded with 40+ touches. When LT got dropped he kicked 7. That's what I like to see. AFL standard players treating the VFL like it is beneath them.

To my recollection, Maj has never done something similar as a VFL player. Will he go out this weekend in the magoos and have 20+ touches , 8+ marks and kick 5+? Can he? If not, why not? Giving a 25 year old a 3 year contract surely means we expect he can. And why shouldn't the club tell him that that is what it is going to take for him to get back into a royal blue and white guernsey? No more "good" at VFL level.

My hypothetical is based on, instead of having him constantly hanging around the fringes of selection year after year, with "team balance" etc keeping him in or out, that the coaching department put to him that if he wants to be seriously considered as an AFL player, he needs to stop being "good" and start being "brilliant" in the VFL. Kick the door down etc. The follow on point is that hopefully taking such a hardline approach might make something "click" inside Maj that actually sees him find and capitalise on his undoubted natural ability.

As for Atley, Thomas, Swallow and Thompson...I'm not talking about them. Maj is somewhat unique as an 8+ year player still on an AFL list, with this seasona nd 2 more years ahead of him, and still not considered best 22. IMO we should be putting to him - if he isn't already aware, that it's not team balance, or Preuss being a surprise packet, or any other set of circumstances keeping him out of the team, it's himself and himself alone that can decide the question of which team he is playing with.

I didn't like his JLT campaign. Yes he was coming back from injury, which explains his game time being limited but doesn't explain the lack of urgency and intensity. I was unimpressed. He only got the Geelong game cos Goldy was injured, and was good. I reckon excellent is a stretch. Was impressed with how he played hurt though. Unlucky not to go down to Hobart. Puts in an average follow up in the VFL, which I found really disappointing. That's his 2017 to date in a nutshell. Feel free to quibble with the details if you want.

But the point is, all of that merely justifies why he should be "considered" for selection, but not necessarily selected. It means he is presently on the fringes of the best 22 (again) and we can argue up hill and down dale the pros and cons of him playing AFL or VFL this week or next week or whatever. It's a continuing theme and has been going on for years.

What I want to know is - does Maj really have another gear. Once upon a time he destroyed the Dogs in his 4th or 5th match - is that a fluke or is it what he is genuinely capable of on a reasonably regular basis? And what have we done to find out? I get that we've invested years into teaching him the nuances of AFL level football (for which he has shown Vickery like levels of comprehension), but now at 25 years of age and 8 years in the system, with a 3 year contract ahead of him - if he's ever going to bring his "A" game, which we've glimpsed but not seen a lot of, now is the time I would have thought.

One thing I have never liked about Maj is that his VFL performances have rarely risen above "good". Once upon a time he nearly won a VFL prelim final against Geelong off his own boot, but again that seems now about as long ago as the Dogs match. Beyond that he has been "good". "Good" is not what I look for in AFL listed players who genuinely want to playing AFL. To draw some rough comparisons, Clarke went 27 and 4 on the weekend. EVW had 31 in defence. When Cunners got dropped to the 2's, he responded with 40+ touches. When LT got dropped he kicked 7. That's what I like to see. AFL standard players treating the VFL like it is beneath them.

To my recollection, Maj has never done something similar as a VFL player. Will he go out this weekend in the magoos and have 20+ touches , 8+ marks and kick 5+? Can he? If not, why not? Giving a 25 year old a 3 year contract surely means we expect he can. And why shouldn't the club tell him that that is what it is going to take for him to get back into a royal blue and white guernsey? No more "good" at VFL level.

My hypothetical is based on, instead of having him constantly hanging around the fringes of selection year after year, with "team balance" etc keeping him in or out, that the coaching department put to him that if he wants to be seriously considered as an AFL player, he needs to stop being "good" and start being "brilliant" in the VFL. Kick the door down etc. The follow on point is that hopefully taking such a hardline approach might make something "click" inside Maj that actually sees him find and capitalise on his undoubted natural ability.

As for Atley, Thomas, Swallow and Thompson...I'm not talking about them. Maj is somewhat unique as an 8+ year player still on an AFL list, with this seasona nd 2 more years ahead of him, and still not considered best 22. IMO we should be putting to him - if he isn't already aware, that it's not team balance, or Preuss being a surprise packet, or any other set of circumstances keeping him out of the team, it's himself and himself alone that can decide the question of which team he is playing with.
Outstanding post.

Obviously I want him in the team because I think his last two performance have merited his inclusion and I think he gives us a better balance, but I really can't argue with anything that you've said here.

I still feel that he is held to different standards to others, but I think that of all of the younger members of our list when compared to their senior counterparts, so it certainly isn't Majak specific. But yeah, like you say, that has nothing to do with Daw's relatively underwhelming performances in the VFL when he should be dominating.

Another 80m kick after the siren, post-height, from 'Blighty'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back