Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not the best at thinking outside the square.
I would really like an adequate second ruck, but I don't want to waste a bench space or change the structure to fit one in the team.
With Lynch added to the team we already lose a pressure medium/small forward from our structure. Don't want to lose another one or a midfielder, not even from the bench.
So I start thinking of the current structure and who could relief ruck for short periods. Lynch? Riewoldt? Rance, Astbury ? Grimes ?
Doesn't take long before my thinking arrives back at Grigg (or McIntosh or Broad, Rioli? ......)
At the moment I feel that Callum Moore may be the best option structurally due to his mobility, but I'm not convinced of his consistency.
Otherwise Balta or CCJ as a key forward with Riewoldt playing more of a HFF role?

So yeah, no idea.

I'm not the best at thinking outside the square.
I would really like an adequate second ruck, but I don't want to waste a bench space or change the structure to fit one in the team.
With Lynch added to the team we already lose a pressure medium/small forward from our structure. Don't want to lose another one or a midfielder, not even from the bench.
So I start thinking of the current structure and who could relief ruck for short periods. Lynch? Riewoldt? Rance, Astbury ? Grimes ?
Doesn't take long before my thinking arrives back at Grigg (or McIntosh or Broad, Rioli? ......)
At the moment I feel that Callum Moore may be the best option structurally due to his mobility, but I'm not convinced of his consistency.
Otherwise Balta or CCJ as a key forward with Riewoldt playing more of a HFF role?

So yeah, no idea.

Balta gives options...it's the team balance that then becomes an issue...
All new territory now with upcoming player pressure on team selection...
TLynch is the first one that needs to be worked into the structures, anything after that is up to the coaches...
A very good problem to have when your a possible GF contender...

It's an interesting issue/question as many have said. I'm guessing here in suggesting that the coaches will not want to rob peter to pay paul? What I mean is they will not I don't think want to weaken the team to address the ruck or other issue (If they can help it).

They will probably want to have a player developed with multiple strengths. So for example I don't think they will put Balta in for Grigg if it means we are hurt by a lack of run from Balta. If his tank can be built to cover Grigg & he proves a better ruck option then they will move him into Grigg's position. That would seem more consistent with the idea of continued improvement?

Noah's cousin just scored a hat-trick in the first game of the season.

Hopefully a sign of things to come for our Balta.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We dont know what we do in 2019 though, besides balta isnt slow

But is Balta that offensive defensive threat. A large part of our game is constant pressure. My understanding is Balta is limited in endurance and fades out of games. We need constant pressure more than we need height.

Just my opinion. But that won us a premiership and will win in finals.

But is Balta that offensive defensive threat. A large part of our game is constant pressure. My understanding is Balta is limited in endurance and fades out of games. We need constant pressure more than we need height.

Just my opinion. But that won us a premiership and will win in finals.
Yeah i agree if endurance isnt up scratch any player regardless of talent will most likely be a liability and this is the reason players like houli .grigg ,ellis will continue to get games over far more talented players .

Yeah i agree if endurance isnt up scratch any player regardless of talent will most likely be a liability and this is the reason players like houli .grigg ,ellis will continue to get games over far more talented players .
Think those three get games because they are actually good players. Houli's run out of the back half has been great for us, Grigg through the midfield likewise and Ellis has been a solid player, and has room to improve. Sure it helps that they all have elite endurance, because without that they would all be average footballers, because all have flaws.
But if you have talented players you still need to play them. Balta, Moore, Miller, Coleman Jones and Chol are all young and held down key position spots in the VFL. Balta, like Bolton is a real talent and need to be played because of their upsides. Maybe they struggle a bit early, but the more they play the better they become, and fitter.

Think those three get games because they are actually good players. Houli's run out of the back half has been great for us, Grigg through the midfield likewise and Ellis has been a solid player, and has room to improve. Sure it helps that they all have elite endurance, because without that they would all be average footballers, because all have flaws.
But if you have talented players you still need to play them. Balta, Moore, Miller, Coleman Jones and Chol are all young and held down key position spots in the VFL. Balta, like Bolton is a real talent and need to be played because of their upsides. Maybe they struggle a bit early, but the more they play the better they become, and fitter.

But not as main pieces of a premiership contender. Filling in for a few games, or playing a role to given them a taste - yes.

Balta is a great talent. But we need more than that. And it wouldn't be fair to him to play him against full on AFL players when he isn't ready. 2019 in the VFL to gain maturity and fitness. If he plays AFL that should be as a pinch hitter as needed - IMHO.

But not as main pieces of a premiership contender. Filling in for a few games, or playing a role to given them a taste - yes.

Balta is a great talent. But we need more than that. And it wouldn't be fair to him to play him against full on AFL players when he isn't ready. 2019 in the VFL to gain maturity and fitness. If he plays AFL that should be as a pinch hitter as needed - IMHO.
Maybe, but he is possibly further on as a player than we give him credit. Many good young talls come on in their second year, he is already built like Tarzan and has great athletic ability, so with a full preseason under his belt he may be ready.
Richo, Riewoldt, Ottens, even Astbury showed a fair bit in their second years and were playing pretty good football.

Maybe, but he is possibly further on as a player than we give him credit. Many good young talls come on in their second year, he is already built like Tarzan and has great athletic ability, so with a full preseason under his belt he may be ready.
Richo, Riewoldt, Ottens, even Astbury showed a fair bit in their second years and were playing pretty good football.

Could be. I'm going off last year's VFL season. So maybe he has developed his fitness to the point that he'll be bale to do the job. Certainly athletically, size and talent he's got it all.

It'd be amazing if Balta could step into the FAL. His leap and strength are enough to play that second ruck role. And his speed and skill can be dangerous weapons around the ground. But I'll be very pleasantly surprised if I am wrong and he does make it in 2019.

I’ve only ever seen him on televised games, looks a little ball focused.
Get to the ball as a forward, follow the stoppage as a ruckman, follow the defender as a backman.
I did see him crack the sh.ts after a turnover and give away a fifty, which I don’t mind as a first year player but seems to be a problem player for the oppo cause of his size, spring and enthusiasm but not so much for footy skills and smarts in a particular position..yet.
Hopefully a bit of Leppitsch will rub off on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back