Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately we really don’t have a choice at the moment.

garth is the choice, and if he’s injured you go to the next unit in the production line

i don’t see the point in sending balta back when he’s spent the entire preseason developing forward, we’ve seen it time and time again stifle key position prospects, this chopping and changing, and he’s a far better prospect up the ground than defending

i don’t mind moving a senior player out of position to cover injuries but not kids, they rarely come on

mixed messages coming out of the footy department when they say rance can’t be replaced, his replacement garthwaite isn’t ready, then balta has to go back because he’s the long term replacement...

we haven’t developed a single key forward since jack riewoldt, and it’s no wonder why

Since he trained with the forward group over the pre season can only assume they have swapped him back to the backline group for a few weeks to get him up to date on structures and patterns before pushing him back into the sr’s

Can see him and Garth getting swapped throughout the season depending on match up

I'm a little surprised he got dropped as I reckon he'd be useful against Grundy.

But he needs more to be AFL ready. Still he knows where he stands right now.
Reckon Grundy is still not up to full match fitness with that toe injury of his, guessing then that Nanks will have his measure or at least nullify his influence.
MC going for what worked in beating the wobbles...speed...
As for Balta maybe needs to work on his tank...
Hell we have options in both player development and player choice, guess the MC are playing the long view this season...
Resting Houli and bringing in some youth again...nice balance I reckon!
Still have our ace up our sleeve in big Cut Lunch!
Go Tigers!

Last edited:
Could have worded that a little better
Should have said that his intercept marking is one of the features of his game, quoting MCrae on the website
His marking is at times awesome, but mostly inconsistent. In time I expect it to be a strength.

Develop him in VFL, I reckon it was a good three years Rancey made me shake my head and shut my eyes at least once most games.
Intercept Marker/Defenders are a little bit harder to come by than someone who’s 195 and might kick 30 odd goals.

Just imagine this...
If Balta launches a drop punt from the def 50 mtr arc, that could be marked 40 mtr out from our goal.
Thats something different.

Why are people so mad about him being dropped on here? I’d prefer he stay as well, but while Riewoldt and Lynch are still learning how to gel together (and Lynch improving his match fitness), we may struggle carrying a 3rd tall in our forward line that is also new to our senior forward line.

Once they have clicked or if his reserve form is too good to ignore, we can introduce him back into the side along with Lynch and Riewoldt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you look at the balance of talls in that side, we have Moore, CCJ, Chol, Balta and even Soldo to run through the forward line.

Only named Garth and Beaser as key defenders.

Makes me think Balta's gonna play back.

Of course he is. Dimma literally said it in his presser.

Reckon Grundy is still not up to full match fitness with that toe injury of his, guessing then that Nanks will have his measure or at least nullify his influence.
MC going for what worked in beating the wobbles...speed...
As for Balta maybe needs to work on his tank...
Hell we have options in both player development and player choice, guess the MC are playing the long view this season...
Resting Houli and bringing in some youth again...nice balance I reckon!
Still have our ace up our sleeve in big Cut Lunch!
Go Tigers!
Or maybe Nank will just have to work on that Toe grundy is having trouble with , Is it the Right or Left Toe

garth is the choice, and if he’s injured you go to the next unit in the production line

i don’t see the point in sending balta back when he’s spent the entire preseason developing forward, we’ve seen it time and time again stifle key position prospects, this chopping and changing, and he’s a far better prospect up the ground than defending

i don’t mind moving a senior player out of position to cover injuries but not kids, they rarely come on

mixed messages coming out of the footy department when they say rance can’t be replaced, his replacement garthwaite isn’t ready, then balta has to go back because he’s the long term replacement...

we haven’t developed a single key forward since jack riewoldt, and it’s no wonder why
From his U18 games that I saw, he dominated as a backman. Even at the time, I thought, very Rancelike how he positioned himself, took contested marks, and played on to create switches, or hitting targets upfield.

Sure AFL is completely different ask, but we are not trying to convert a forward into a backman with Balta.

Or maybe Nank will just have to work on that Toe grundy is having trouble with , Is it the Right or Left Toe

Grundy will have feet the size of basketballs by the time Nanks finished tonight

From his U18 games that I saw, he dominated as a backman. Even at the time, I thought, very Rancelike how he positioned himself, took contested marks, and played on to create switches, or hitting targets upfield.

Sure AFL is completely different ask, but we are not trying to convert a forward into a backman with Balta.

true

but he’s a greater talent up the ground than rance.

and what happens when rance comes back next year? we’ve lost a year of forward development on balta

true

but he’s a greater talent up the ground than rance.

and what happens when rance comes back next year? we’ve lost a year of forward development on balta

Play him as a swing man like blitz from Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back