Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Stick Balta on Buddy and let him learn from him...if it gets ugly...swap to Broad...

Buddy would run him ragged in the first quarter. Balta is still a kid that has to get up to AFL speed. That he is performing as he is whilst not really being AFL ready is amazing!! In a couple of year's Balta could be an incredible player.

he looks like Tarzan, but I just a pup. Pretty amazing pup, but still a pup :moustache:.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Buddy would run him ragged in the first quarter. Balta is still a kid that has to get up to AFL speed. That he is performing as he is whilst not really being AFL ready is amazing!! In a couple of year's Balta could be an incredible player.

he looks like Tarzan, but I just a pup. Pretty amazing pup, but still a pup :moustache:.
Buddy is a fat **** that's good for a Q of hard running...living on past glories the old Party Boy!
Like to see the fat **** run for 4 Q's on that sheeteehad concrete field...

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
He should play regardless of Jack because he can pinch hit forward, back, ruck or as just a mobile marking target around the ground. Worth keeping to fill in the gaps as players rotate and rest. Might kill his development, but it's better than wasting him in the twos for him to ask for a trade at years end. Then someone else takes him and turns him into a 70 goal a year forward...

Buddy is a fat **** that's good for a Q of hard running...living on past glories the old Party Boy!
Like to see the fat **** run for 4 Q's on that sheeteehad concrete field...

So what do you really think?? :p

All I'm saying is that Balta is being managed because his endurance/repeat efforts aren't yet up to AFL standard. Buddy would still take him way out of his comfort zone, as a running backman.

Give Balta a couple of years to build his tank and watch out. Super talent.

I reckon, but hope I'm wrong, that Noah will run out of petrol soonish, and have to play some VFL to get his stamina back. But what a great introduction to the AFL.

As for Buddy I hope he's done and this weekend he plays no important part in the game. Suspect Grimes will get him outside 50. Not sure what to do inside 50. If he is unfit then half Buddy's weapons are gone. Fingers crossed.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Balta playing limited time during the game could be the best thing for us, he is learning heaps and hopefully not being over cooked. He is the type of player that oppo coaches would be genuinely concerned about. if he takes the kick ins then the ball would reach centre half forward rotfl. I like him in the centre, he can take a mark, and if he kicks it from there the ball is instantly in our full forwards zone in a split second. What is not to like?

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
Reminds me a bit of how Jack Riewoldt was managed in years one and two. By no means a star or even good or consistent in those days, but learned far more and quicker on the job than he did by playing second fiddle in the Twos to Kent Kingsley and Cleve Hughes. We will reap considerable benefits quicker while playing him.
Also provides tremendous cover in all areas of the ground. That's an asset.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Reminds me a bit of how Jack Riewoldt was managed in years one and two. By no means a star or even good or consistent in those days, but learned far more and quicker on the job than he did by playing second fiddle in the Twos to Kent Kingsley and Cleve Hughes. We will reap considerable benefits quicker while playing him.
Also provides tremendous cover in all areas of the ground. That's an asset.
No truer words spoken.

Willo_23

Senior List
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Would love to see him in the side for as long as he contributes and holds form, if he has a couple of down weeks though there's definitely benefit in sending him down to the twos to get some more touch in a bigger role though.

I do love the athleticism he gives us in the ruck and around the ground when giving Nank a spell though. He's the perfect type of ruck backup for a guy like Toby.

Play him whilst he has decent form and can actually play the game out. If/when he loses that extra bit of energy give him a couple of week in the VFL to get some zip back. He isn't that important in what he does as yet, but that he can play so many roles really adds to the team. Very much a synergy player 1+1=3

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
That intercept and run then handball to Caddy just goosebump inducing.
yes. but then a free kick against deep in Ports fwd line..but where to play him? 2nd rucks get very limited TOG. Last year Soldo had a 60%. Now, Balta is getting less than that. Now I don't know if its just structure or his fitness. Play him KPD? Seems like Sheds/SS have settled well and we are tall enough elsewhere. Fwd line is midget HQ. I would've liked Balta playing on KMac's wing. And Kmac back into defence. I fear he is going to be squeezed out now.

yes. but then a free kick against deep in Ports fwd line..but where to play him? 2nd rucks get very limited TOG. Last year Soldo had a 60%. Now, Balta is getting less than that. Now I don't know if its just structure or his fitness. Play him KPD? Seems like Sheds/SS have settled well and we are tall enough elsewhere. Fwd line is midget HQ. I would've liked Balta playing on KMac's wing. And Kmac back into defence. I fear he is going to be squeezed out now.

Structurally he is important. But yes, Balta is not quite right yet for a full on AFL role. Still right now I can't see why we'd drop him. His brief stints on the ground are extremely valuable. We get that 2 ruck thing to rest Nank. Plus a chop out KPF and KPD, and a decent quality mid. As long as he is doing the job then play him IMHO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drofder

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2014
37.8265° S, 145.0069° E
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Niners
Crazy Joe DaBalta !

1555483699779.png

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought we saw the great value of carrying him in the second half of the final term when there was just the suggestion of a Swans comeback as some of our stretched troops were tiring. His energy won a couple of key contests and that was the end of any Swans momentum. The next problem for the brain's trust to solve is how to shore up the key defensive positions at times, especially late in games and this guy could be at least part of the answer.

CASEYS9420

Club Legend
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
My wish for Balta is that he turns into an elite version of GWS's utility Adam Tomlinson or Mark Blicavs (Geel), guys you can throw in any key position or along the wing and they dominate. Last night someting twigged with Balta, taking a big leap in his development (especially in the last quarter). Yes he made some mistakes but thats by far been his best game this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back