Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be some humble pie in this thread..

Showed exactly why the calls to drop him for Moore / Ccj / chol were way off the mark.

None of them could have covered for nank as good as Balta did tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think we looked better with him in the middle than nank
I agree. Balta can be very dangerous in the centre once the ball hits the ground with his pace. Could really be a great long term second ruck / forward.

Brings a unique match up problem for the opposition

Kid is a freak !!!

Watching his clearances today , I actually believe now that he could also play as a midfielder in a year or 2

I just watched the game again on replay and some of the things he did which he didnt get a stat for was amazing, The freo players were actually wary of his presence andhis tackling , bumping and harassment was townsend like.

This kid will be big headache for opposition coaches

Nankervis has been a liability.

That word is getting thrown around a lot these days.

Nank is a good player, he just needs more help (i.e. not Grigg). Not a great tap ruckman but a competitive beast and good around the ground, getting back and helping in defense etc.

That word is getting thrown around a lot these days.

Nank is a good player, he just needs more help (i.e. not Grigg). Not a great tap ruckman but a competitive beast and good around the ground, getting back and helping in defense etc.

Nank is a warrior and a workman type Ruckman , CCJ will be a Grundy type class ruckman that can play as a legitimate foward also , I see Nank being our backup ruckman in 2 - 3 years time

Nank is a warrior and a workman type Ruckman , CCJ will be a Grundy type class ruckman that can play as a legitimate foward also , I see Nank being our backup ruckman in 2 - 3 years time

Good call, have thought similar for some time. He competes and at times just isn't up to the class of the contest but his body is usually there trying to out-position his opponent. When that happens he looks good. CCJ has a reach like Grundy. It opens so many more opportunities but you still need a certain amount of bulk to stay close enough to use that reach. It's what Tim English is struggling with a bit this year. Balta is way better below his knees at this stage.

Good call, have thought similar for some time. He competes and at times just isn't up to the class of the contest but his body is usually there trying to out-position his opponent. When that happens he looks good. CCJ has a reach like Grundy. It opens so many more opportunities but you still need a certain amount of bulk to stay close enough to use that reach. It's what Tim English is struggling with a bit this year. Balta is way better below his knees at this stage.

Nank is 199cm 102 kgs
CCJ is 200cm 102 kgs ( but i suspect he is taller as i have seen him at training and looks taller than nank)

Knightmare
Callum Coleman-Jones
Position:
Ruck/Key forward
Expected draft range: 25
Why he can make it: Part of the Under-18 All-Australian team after a strong Championships, Coleman-Jones as a ruckman finds a lot of the football, including a performance where he secured 28 disposals. At 201cm, 98kg, he is just as effective up forward and is arguably this year's most commanding contested mark, taking 10 contested marks as an under-ager through the 2016 Under-18 Championships.

Nank is 199cm 102 kgs
CCJ is 200cm 102 kgs ( but i suspect he is taller as i have seen him at training and looks taller than nank)

Knightmare
Callum Coleman-Jones
Position:
Ruck/Key forward
Expected draft range: 25
Why he can make it: Part of the Under-18 All-Australian team after a strong Championships, Coleman-Jones as a ruckman finds a lot of the football, including a performance where he secured 28 disposals. At 201cm, 98kg, he is just as effective up forward and is arguably this year's most commanding contested mark, taking 10 contested marks as an under-ager through the 2016 Under-18 Championships.

Still had CCj pegged at around the 98kg. Grundy is listed as 203cm and 102kegs. His athleticism gets him well and truly in the contests against taller opponents like English, Witts, Gawn. The size you have quoted for CCJ puts him right inside the pocket with many other top AFL rucks. Perhaps it might be time to see how he goes against McEvoy this week - Soldo will probably get the gig though?

Still had CCj pegged at around the 98kg. Grundy is listed as 203cm and 102kegs. His athleticism gets him well and truly in the contests against taller opponents like English, Witts, Gawn. The size you have quoted for CCJ puts him right inside the pocket with many other top AFL rucks. Perhaps it might be time to see how he goes against McEvoy this week - Soldo will probably get the gig though?

Whilst CCJ has the weight he doesnt have the strength yet to compete with the big boys and the tank

He is still 2 years away from the required level and similar to english will struggle but unlike the doggies we are not going to get him smashed at such a young age and are only using him sparingly in the ruck at VFL level and teaching him the foward craft as well as having him run up the ground.

We are also resting him every 3rd/4th game last year and will probably be rested 6th/7th game this year, We are really developing him to be our long term Ruckman and rate him very very highly from day 1 and the club knew exactly what he will become taking CCJ before Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Back