Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Bc of selection issues TOO
The cupboard was pretty bare though mate.(Defenders).
Didn't mind it to be honest while Astbury is out.
As always our 2nd ruck is an issue and in hindsight Chol shouldv'e come in.
Maybe this week,

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
0 marks. Not playing his role anywhere near well enough, even in the games he has played well he hasn't played his role well. I think even with the one off performance Chol has earn't the role of back up ruck/resting key forward, which leaves the question of what to do with Balta? Do we send him down to VFL and get him to continue his development in this role or do we scrap it all together and develop him in a role that better suits his attributes rather than his physique.

He’s xxxxed and the bye will be a bonus. Been off for awhile now , but he’s shown plenty so far.

Agree, he's tired. Steels himself for each Ruck contest, but his timing is out which indicates mental fatigue as much as physical. Kept trying though.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Balta needs continuity, he has lost his rhythm and is obviously tired, takes more mental and physical effort to change positions all the time then it does to know your position well and honing your skills in that position. He is still a baby mentally.

Thrasher97

🏆🏆🏆
Jul 26, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
What position do we see Balta now that we've had a look at him at AFL level?
He's named in the backline this week in the VFL.

I personally don't see him as a defender and hope we don't try and turn him into something he's not.

He seemed much better when he was playing in the midfield and drifting forward.
What do you guys think?

B: 38. N. Balta, 53. H. Beasley, 43. D. Eggmolesse-Smith
HB: 51. S. Morris, 42. R. Garthwaite, 15. J. Short

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants

I personally don't see him as a defender and hope we don't try and turn him into something he's not.

What do you guys think?
I think he is a half forward and 2nd ruck

Oct 27, 2014
M15
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bucks

What do you guys think?
Wait, Short?

So he won't play?

What do you guys think?
Played his best at VFL level last year at CHB. Still believe that is his best position moving forward. Athletic 195cm 100kg beast who can roost the footy 65+ would be a weapon across the HB line alongside Short and Stack would give us such a boost rebounding from D50

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It does appear the club is determined for Balta to be a a backline option this year, this will be confirmed if he actually plays backline in the reserves, where he has been named.

The key position/ruck mixture is not dovetailing perfectly. We will end up with two key forwards all going well, Lynch and Riewoldt. Both have now had PCL issues and you might not want them playing relief ruck. Nankervis will almost certainly be first ruck. Astbury will be one key defender but we need another big strong player down there against the teams that will threaten for the flag. And barring Rance coming back what are the options? Balta, and maybe Chol the only two realistic looking options. For whatever reason, the club has shown no appetite for Chol being prepared for the role, which surprises me a bit given his two countrymen Aliir and Daw have thrived there.

So maybe the thinking is the forward structure stays stable and Balta is earmarked to shadow the opposition relief ruckman, playing back when they are forward, and shifting into the ruck when they do.

So far, ball in hand, Balta looks good running out of defence, but the defensive aspects of the role have been his challenge. He has mainly been thrown down there in emergencies when Rance and Astbury are missing. So if he gets back to the senior team in this role, Astbury's presence may help him.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
I'll tell you in a couple of years. I'm still letting the kid grow up, get fit, and learn how to play AFL-level.

The player he reminds me of most (and the one I hope he turns out like) is Koutafides. Kouta made his debut at exactly the same age as Balta - played 6 games in his first year, and 8 in his second.

There's an old saying - 'Big kids take time'.

Back