Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't think he could slot in next year in the back pocket alongside Rance, Grimes, Astbury, Vlaustin etc. Can't get a much easier gig in football. Running free sounds good, but you have good footy nous to get a kick as a wingman (or a similar possession / running free).

MacIntosh to me doesn't have a lot of footy nous, hence he doesn't get many possessions (but he is an imposing wingman in form). Ellis has plenty of footy nous, but is not imposing. Not an easy gig. Hence our wings should be Stack and Bolton with Naish coming through.

In about 2 years.

Then we'll have a couple of good AFL quality mature players just hanging around.

You don't think he could slot in next year in the back pocket alongside Rance, Grimes, Astbury, Vlaustin etc. Can't get a much easier gig in football. Running free sounds good, but you have good footy nous to get a kick as a wingman (or a similar possession / running free).

MacIntosh to me doesn't have a lot of footy nous, hence he doesn't get many possessions (but he is an imposing wingman in form). Ellis has plenty of footy nous, but is not imposing. Not an easy gig. Hence our wings should be Stack and Bolton with Naish coming through.

No way we go that tall down back IMO

Balta is a 3rd tall / 2nd ruck IMO

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Balta can be a game changer by his pure innocence, if l was to make a call on him I’d say he plays with his heart on his sleeve and realy be at his best when he has the freedom to take the game on. I expect him to mature later in life like Richo. This is pure baseless speculation btw.

Edit...He would be better playing richos role when he was roaming around and playing up the ground and on the wing.

The coaches have said that Noah is a great reader of the ball. I think it got lost in the AFL. Maybe he just needs time to get himself sorted as a professional footballer.

Anyway, his 'weakness' was people didn't know where to play him because he could play anywhere. And I'd say that is still true at the RFC. But I don't want him getting smashed by genuine 200cm+ AFL rucks. Those guys will destroy him over time (physically). But 3rd ruck, awesome! My gut (plenty of it there is:( ) reckons he'd be an awesome running player through the middle. Intercept marking and delivering the ball over defensive set ups. But then he can do just about anything :D

There is reading the ball, and reading the play.

Reading the ball is good for marking/spoiling when the ball is coming your way.
Reading the play gets you in a position to have the ball come your way more often (and/or send it the way of teammates).

Balta is good at the first, but has more work to do on the second.

I'm not sure about the 'letting your opponent lead you to the ball' argument. I think if youu let your opponent lead you to the ball, your opponent will get to the ball first.
I think he's doing the basic apprenticeship, which, today, includes a fair bit of defensive knowledge. Man's got to know his limitations.

No idea where Balta will eventually end up. I'd like to think he could make it as a ruckman, but then the constant physical slog may nullify his athleticism, and he will turn into the traditional plodder. Which would be fine - but slightly frustrating.

Ideally, yes. It's why Rance & Grimes are so great...they can read the play better AND beat their opponent with athleticism.

Balta isn't that good (yet) however, and playing defence covers his weakness to a degree, and hopefully helps him learn to overcome it.

Probably worth noting that Rance wasn't exactly the most clued in player in his youth either....and they moved him from the forward line back, which seems to have worked out.

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
Have to say, it is very exciting when Balta explodes through the middle with ball in hand like we saw a couple of times early this season. Right now he's the definition of an impact player - doesn't need much of the ball to turn a game. More development in the 2s will hopefully give him more footy nous letting him transition back to the seniors

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I personally like Balta being through the middle, he's exciting and athletic and a booming kick. Mixing his time between the forward line and back up ruck looked good earlier in the year, but maybe he will end up best on the wing (maybe I'm just too excited at the memory of Richo causing havoc there). I'm not sure exactly how it'll work out but I like his athleticism too much to put him down back, I think he can do more damage in the middle and up forward.

There is reading the ball, and reading the play.

Reading the ball is good for marking/spoiling when the ball is coming your way.
Reading the play gets you in a position to have the ball come your way more often (and/or send it the way of teammates).

Balta is good at the first, but has more work to do on the second.

Lot to work with though.

But yeah, he's got some awesome tools, Game smarts don't appear to be there as yet though. Still reckon he'll be a good player for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City

Delicious

I've seen enough.
Balta replaces Broad.

In all fairness our back 6 won't change unless injury or suspension happens. It's a shame we want him as a back as that 2nd ruck spot is up for grabs and Chol hasn't done well the last 2 week's.
Balta just has that something that could open up a game for us come finals time.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I don’t mind his simple game, I don’t mind him taking the game on and kicking 60mtrs, he would offer another dynamic to our game that we could use. Broad is a seasoned defender and Balta is not ready to replace him on pure defensive skills yet, but his upside is really special. So could balance out. Selectors be brave and play the lad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back