Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Do you mean ready for Dave’s role start of 2021?

I reckon he’ll play next year but not in that kpb role. He has the size and athleticism but not the footy smarts (yet). If not the 3rd tall back then further up the ground as some hybrid mid/wing/forward.... ahh who knows with this guy could end up anywhere on the ground
I think thats what's embarked for Smiley.Think Astburys body has one year left in it.
Frankly we haven't the cap space to afford a ready made replacement for DA or AR for that matter.
Balta & hopefully Miller can develop into solid replacements.

Really like that the club has finally decided to settle him down in the one position. Rance has a couple of years left and with Balta not yet 20 they can develop him in the VFL and bring him in as Rances long term replacement.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Really like that the club has finally decided to settle him down in the one position. Rance has a couple of years left and with Balta not yet 20 they can develop him in the VFL and bring him in as Rances long term replacement.

Maybe not. Playing ruck/forward today. Kicked 2 in the 1st.

Maybe not. Playing ruck/forward today. Kicked 2 in the 1st.
Circumstances dictated he play there today, previously he has played predominately down back.

Wow you are defensive. Yes, he has recently. But, if he starts dominating forward, he'll be a forward. They don't know yet.
Nothing to do with being defensive, CCJ is the only ruckman playing today with Chol and Soldo in the AFL, so he was always a chance of playing in the ruck today. Also I suggested in the VFL thread that with top spot locked up, they may well experiment with a few things to see how it works in case it's needed in the finals in 2 weeks.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Nothing to do with being defensive, CCJ is the only ruckman playing today with Chol and Soldo in the AFL, so he was always a chance of playing in the ruck today. Also I suggested in the VFL thread that with top spot locked up, they may well experiment with a few things to see how it works in case it's needed in the finals in 2 weeks.
So he's not Rance's replacement, he's being groomed as the backup ruckman.

So he's not Rance's replacement, he's being groomed as the backup ruckman.
If you want to base it off one game and not what has happened the previous weeks then go ahead

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
If you want to base it off one game and not what has happened the previous weeks then go ahead
Pretty sure he has played a FEW in the next level up as the backup ruckman actually.
I watched a few of the u18s where he played down back and looked very Rancelike reading the play and intercept marking. Yes he could very well end up there. I originally was taking a subtle dig at your comment and how he played the next game forward, but heh, good win by the VFL boys and Balta had a good impact (as a ruck/forward), that's the important thing.

Pretty sure he has played a FEW in the next level up as the backup ruckman actually.
I watched a few of the u18s where he played down back and looked very Rancelike reading the play and intercept marking. Yes he could very well end up there. I originally was taking a subtle dig at your comment and how he played the next game forward, but heh, good win by the VFL boys and Balta had a good impact (as a ruck/forward), that's the important thing.
Sorry hard to pick up sarcastic tone in written form.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Chol has been good in the hitouts imo against number #1 rucks, So you would think Balta has one game to impress because even though Chol got dropped, I think he would be brought back if Balta doesn't have a good game.

100%. The fact they kept Chol in for the Eagles and how giving him a crack means it’s Chol’s position he has to take.

Had to bring him in after his VFL efforts. If he can get 10-15 touches and compete in the ruck he is my preferred option.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Excited to see this big kid back in the side. He is unpredictable and adds some X factor. Would love to see him unleash a few 70 meter torps and break the lines. Oppo players never expect it, but our guys do.
Congrats big fella.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He kicks 70m drop punts, imagine if he got hold of a torp.... probably get dragged.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I think it's smart player management of young players heading into the Finals...

Agree with this and would also add...fantastic to see the club putting players in and out of the senior team rather than settling on a best 22 and going with that until someone is unavailable which was closer to the case in 2018. We will hit the finals this year with fresher players, and also we will be a lot less predictable to opponents.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Gotta feeling this kid is gonna breakout next season and blow the footy worlds minds. I’d hate having to match up on this kid. He’s still a bit clumsy and raw, people don’t realise how young he actually is. When he puts it all together and it clicks. Watch out!!!!
Imagine lining up against him on the wing.... 196cm/100kg's and one of the quickest on the park.

Back