Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
All a learning experience this year for the 19 year old colt, There wouldnt be many 19 year old kids expected to perform at this level in the ruck/Defence/Fwd role.

I think both Chol & Balta have shown they have the talent and are worth keeping at this level but need more consistency

Next Game i would be looking at Soldo/Nank Combo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 2, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Isn’t it crazy what a couple of months can change, I feel the majority of us stared the season feeling pretty concerned with our ruck stocks. With it pretty obvious the club wanted to play with two ruckman and our Premiership saviour Grigg’s body being cooked, it really created a fantastic opportunity for Balta to show what his got.

I think it’s fair to say he really impressed a lot of us, his athleticism is absolutely unreal. However with the rise of Soldo, Chol taking massive steps forward and CCJ continuously developing I don’t think Balta will be required to do anything more than pinch hit in the ruck during a game if we’re desperate.

It’s time to give him a position and seriously work on his development. I cannot help but compare his physical attributes to a young Alex Rance. Balta lacks football smarts but that can be improved, I think we should play him exclusively from CHB.

We seriously lack depth for our tall defenders, I think Balta offers us the opportunity to create another star defender!

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Not much chat about this young stud lately.......

From memory, I thought this bloke was one of the best contested marks of the young talls that we have, probably only CCJ above him. But for some reason he stopped 'clunking' them. Seems like he's developed old 'iron hands' (Hampson) way of doing things.

Anyone else noticed? Or am I dreaming?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Time to give up on the "swing man" pipe dream, the reality is there are very few of those in the AFL, there's a reason for it, it's very hard for a player to dominate multiple positions.

It doesn't matter if it's forward, back, ruck or as a big winger, we need to settle him in one position over the summer and see what he can do with real development in one area. The risk otherwise, is we keep throwing around this big guy who can never work on his game in one area and ends up just being a big athlete with huge potential who could never find his place.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
With Ellis gone Balta could become the modern 6 foot 4 (Richo-style) winger. Fast, big leap, has spent time down back and up forward to learn both parts of the game. Could be a weapon on the wing. :think:

I see his .main weakness atm as finding the pill. I'm not sure wing is the best spot for a player like that. They get lost and end up with 5-6 possies for the game. Richo was a dominant key forward and took those skills, and attitude, to the wing where he demanded the ball. Balta is nowhere near that.

Down back, where he can read the ball coming in, with Rance, Grimes and Vlas helping him out is where I think he should be.

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I see his .main weakness atm as finding the pill. I'm not sure wing is the best spot for a player like that. They get lost and end up with 5-6 possies for the game. Richo was a dominant key forward and took those skills, and attitude, to the wing where he demanded the ball. Balta is nowhere near that.

Down back, where he can read the ball coming in, with Rance, Grimes and Vlas helping him out is where I think he should be.
I dunno.....I see him more as that 'utility' type. Someone who can take those marks on the wing, negate or halve other contests, but break the game open with his run, carry and booming kick of either peg. If he can 'pinch hit' in defence, offer a legitimate target for the escape kick from defence or provide an alternative target in the forward line, then that is where his future lies. It'd be cool if he could use his leap and really start clunking those marks.

I think he is the epitome of the modern player, ATM getting schooled in the defensive side. But once he's educated then ******* look out!! Cos if he's let off the leash, which he will be eventually, then the whole competition will be gobsmacked.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

Finds it more than Rioli still rotfl. I’d like to see him at CHF or on the wing, Would be interesting.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Finds it more than Rioli still rotfl. I’d like to see him at CHF or on the wing, Would be interesting.
He was playing in the midfield (ruck), so of course he did. My point is on a wing, players can go missing.

I rate him. I just don't think he would get much ball on a wing yet. We'll see what happens next year. Not sure even the club know what to do with him.

Laffy2Chaffey2Daffy

All Australian
Nov 14, 2012
Burundi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manangatang 3rds

Fair call. To me he looked a bit lost in defence, but I get the question mark over whether he has the footy IQ to play on the wing. He has the athleticism, combined with the marking ability to cause headaches for oppo teams. With a bit of aggro he could be the taller, more skilful and more athletic version of Macintosh. :cool:

Back